Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 03:27 PM

17 posts, read 67,381 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

My husband has just accepted a job with a company in Columbia Falls very near the FCA/Kalispell airport. We're getting ready to relocate, but I don't really know anything about the elementary schools in the area. I'm hoping someone with elementary school aged kids can help me.

My daughter is in second grade and highly gifted. She has the usual gifted kid problems -- hypersensitivity, perfectionism, social and emotional concerns and the host of problems that arise at school from asynchronous development. She needs a school with a good gifted program - or she'll have problems at school and be miserable.

SHE NEEDS:
1. a classroom environment where she feels accepted by her peers
2. a teacher who understands and "gets" gifted kids.
3. a flexible curriculum that allows the teacher to differentiate learning for children so she can be challenged, engaged and not perpetually bored.
4. a school with a culture that accepts non-conformity and prizes academic achievement.

So...we need a really great school.

Any advice? Any hope for finding that at all?

Thanks so much for your time.
-Martha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 08:01 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,548,002 times
You may be pleasantly surprised by the public K-12 school system in Columbia Falls. It is a well-run positive District.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,635,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomartha View Post
Hi folks,

My husband has just accepted a job with a company in Columbia Falls very near the FCA/Kalispell airport. We're getting ready to relocate, but I don't really know anything about the elementary schools in the area. I'm hoping someone with elementary school aged kids can help me.

My daughter is in second grade and highly gifted. She has the usual gifted kid problems -- hypersensitivity, perfectionism, social and emotional concerns and the host of problems that arise at school from asynchronous development. She needs a school with a good gifted program - or she'll have problems at school and be miserable.

SHE NEEDS:
1. a classroom environment where she feels accepted by her peers
2. a teacher who understands and "gets" gifted kids.
3. a flexible curriculum that allows the teacher to differentiate learning for children so she can be challenged, engaged and not perpetually bored.
4. a school with a culture that accepts non-conformity and prizes academic achievement.

So...we need a really great school.

Any advice? Any hope for finding that at all?

Thanks so much for your time.
-Martha
Gosh, my kids aren't g/t but suffer from the same problems....hypersensitivity, perfectionism, social and emotional concerns ect....especially now that hunting season has arrived. Aside from that, if you are moving from a large city, you may find g/t a lot different here.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the responses folks. Does anyone have an opinion on Muldown Elementary (that's the closest elementary school to the place my husband is staying at the moment). We're going to have our daughter finish this fall semester up in Washington before moving the entire family out.

magoomafoo -- any specifics on how G/T is different here? The elementary we are coming from in Camas isn't in a large town -- but it did have an exceptionally good school district.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,403,338 times
This is Montana....you get what you get. That being said, Montana gets a big bang for their buck as far as qualified teachers go...I have been impressed with the quality of education in Montana. My daughter went to school in Bozeman...and had exceptional teachers.

I am sure your daughter will do fine. I do suggest being polite and respectful...coming to a new school and expecting a lot of attention for your "gifted" child won't go over well. Request a meeting with the school psychologist and request testing for your child. Bring in the previous tests and work samples from your child. Let them do their own testing as well. Then, go over the results, and if they show your daughter as gifted...request how this is handled in this area. This is courtesy...and will go a long way in Montana.

If you come in the summer, see if the testing can be done prior to school starting.

Last edited by jasper12; 10-21-2012 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-27-2012, 09:08 PM

Thanks Jasper -- That's solid advice anywhere really -- courtesy always goes a long way.

I don't need a lot of attention paid my kid at all -- just the right learning environment and a supportive and understanding teacher that is good with redirection and is relaxed about attention issues.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,403,338 times
Okay...cool. I thought you were one of those big city folks who wears pointy shoes and hose, and was gonna start being high maintenance about your "gifted " child...lots of city folks like to say their kids are gifted...and...that would not go over well here. But, requesting testing, and a meeting is fine. That will work much better. Best of luck to you and your child.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 AM

Nah -- I'm just a normal mom with socks and docs!

Testing is fine. It's good for everyone to know what they're dealing with and to get her exactly where she needs to be. I really don't want anything special for her -- I just want to be sure she's not mercilessly bullied for being a dorky egghead and that her teacher challenges and engages her and redirects her when she is bored or loses focus.

See...last year she had a 1st grade teacher that taught EVERYONE in class at the same level and my gal was bored bonkers -- academically she was back to doing stuff she'd done at the age of 3 or 4 -- she was miserable and so she spaced out a bit and lost focus. As a result the teacher was constantly punishing her for lack of focus with written "uh-oh's" verbal reprimands and loss of privileges like recess -- that led to social issues and enormous stress for my kid who was abjectly miserable as a result.

We were going to pull her out of the school but then we sort of won the lotto and got the best teacher in the district for her for 2nd grade....she's doing so much better now -- I just couldn't take it if we pulled her from that and sent her to somewhere where she was miserable again -- I think she'd lose interest in school altogether which would really be a shame.

So I want to be sure the school we send her to is a good one.

We don't need much -- just a challenging environment and teachers that understand that gifted doesn't mean "smart" or "model student" but "differently-wired brain that prefers complexity and a bigger picture to tiny steps and fundamentals" that's really the key for us.

We don't even need a gifted program per se... if she can get into a classroom where the teacher challenges and engages her and understands that she needs to be redirected and challenged not punished when she becomes bored -- then gifted program or not -- she'll be fine.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:21 AM

She's just too hypersensitive and...um...awkward to manage without a supportive teacher.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:07 AM

13 posts, read 24,955 times
Default Kalispell Montessori Elementary

I highly recommend the Kalispell Montessori Elementary School if you can possibly afford it. They have multi-age classrooms and are all about individualized instruction. Your husband could commute to the airport just as easily from Kalispell as from C Falls.

Kalispell public schools do not have a GT program and your daughter really needs that, from what you say. It is rare that a public school teacher, even if they want to, can individualize instruction for a gifted student.

I am not familiar with the C Falls schools but all our public schools are overstressed and many classrooms are at maximum size, even overenrolled.

Another possibility is St. Matthew's in Kalispell. Even parents who are not Catholic send their kids there for a quality education but the kids do have religious instruction and I think the milieu is fairly conservative, but not really sure. Something to check out if the religion doesn't put you off.

I think this is true everywhere, but I can tell you from a lot of first-hand experience, that the teachers have their hands full dealing with the "problem children" so the well-behaved, smart kids are left to fend for themselves and don't get their fair share of the teacher's attention. And it is a very rare teacher that "gets" giftedness, even as many of the responses here indicate people don't "get" it.

We used to be in the Polson school district which had only a minimal GT program but with a fabulous GT teacher, yet even there, the regular teachers didn't get it. It was a constant battle. However, having the minimal GT class was my daughter's salvation--the challenge, a place where it was OK to be smart, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana