U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 PM

16 posts, read 27,930 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying thank you for taking the time to read my thread and share your thoughts. So, as the title states, I found out today that I will temporarily be moving to Billings for my job. (April-August) Not that any of it necessarily matters, although I'm just curious on a few matters, and any input will be appreciated.

1- I was born in Texas, moved to California, and now I have been residing in Utah for the last 6 years. Is Billings anything like Northern Utah as far as scenery?

2- I'm curious what the climate is like during these months.

3- I'll be 23 years old upon the move, is there a good amount of people around my age to hang out with (particularly women) and will someone from larger areas be able to fit in okay?

4- fun things to do during my time off?

Any general information would be great as well. Thanks, everyone!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 01:09 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,009,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Holley View Post
Let me start by saying thank you for taking the time to read my thread and share your thoughts. So, as the title states, I found out today that I will temporarily be moving to Billings for my job. (April-August) Not that any of it necessarily matters, although I'm just curious on a few matters, and any input will be appreciated.

1- I was born in Texas, moved to California, and now I have been residing in Utah for the last 6 years. Is Billings anything like Northern Utah as far as scenery?

2- I'm curious what the climate is like during these months.

3- I'll be 23 years old upon the move, is there a good amount of people around my age to hang out with (particularly women) and will someone from larger areas be able to fit in okay?

4- fun things to do during my time off?

Any general information would be great as well. Thanks, everyone!
1) The scenery really isn't like Northern Utah. It is more like a green part of SE Wyoming. There is a cliff that runs the length of the north boundary town (Rimrocks) and there is a part that is set in the hills and small valleys behind it (Billings Heights). The closest mountains are the Beartooths and about an hour south. Billings sits in a shallow valley and is fairly green due to the Yellowstone River and mild chinook winds.

2) It will be warm to hot with highs in the 100's in August. That can vary though as I personally have been snowed on 3 different times on July 4 during the fireworks. Don't worry, it didn't stick to the ground two of those times and it was all melted by the next morning.

3) There are some younger people in Billings but many of them will be married or divorced. People still marry young in Montana and as a 25 year old guy, I had trouble finding SINK (single income, no kids) women to date. That was in the early 2000's so maybe it has changed. Billings is the "Big City" for ND (Fargo is considered more MN than ND), Northern WY, and MT. Being urban is pretty normal but some of the chain clothing stores you may be accustomed to are not in Billings. No Macys or Nordstroms either. There are some nightclubs in town but I never met anyone there and just wound up playing poker most nights out.

4) I would recommend spending some time outside of Billings like in Red Lodge, Bozeman, ect. Billings also has some concerts this summer (Rascal Flats, Big Sky Blues Festival) but it isn't a big music mecca. There are nationally award winning micro-breweries there. The Billings Mustangs baseball season runs much of time you are there and the new ballpark is very nice. For 5 months, I'm sure you'll find things to do. Just might not find single women to do them with.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:32 PM

443 posts, read 766,265 times
There are lots of single women around your age in Billings. There are two college campuses, Montana State Univ.-Billings and Rocky Mountain College. The young men are working in the oil patch in ND/Eastern MT, and the girls are lonely. Enjoy your visit.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
1) The scenery really isn't like Northern Utah. It is more like a green part of SE Wyoming. There is a cliff that runs the length of the north boundary town (Rimrocks) and there is a part that is set in the hills and small valleys behind it (Billings Heights). The closest mountains are the Beartooths and about an hour south. Billings sits in a shallow valley and is fairly green due to the Yellowstone River and mild chinook winds.

2) It will be warm to hot with highs in the 100's in August. That can vary though as I personally have been snowed on 3 different times on July 4 during the fireworks. Don't worry, it didn't stick to the ground two of those times and it was all melted by the next morning.

3) There are some younger people in Billings but many of them will be married or divorced. People still marry young in Montana and as a 25 year old guy, I had trouble finding SINK (single income, no kids) women to date. That was in the early 2000's so maybe it has changed. Billings is the "Big City" for ND (Fargo is considered more MN than ND), Northern WY, and MT. Being urban is pretty normal but some of the chain clothing stores you may be accustomed to are not in Billings. No Macys or Nordstroms either. There are some nightclubs in town but I never met anyone there and just wound up playing poker most nights out.

4) I would recommend spending some time outside of Billings like in Red Lodge, Bozeman, ect. Billings also has some concerts this summer (Rascal Flats, Big Sky Blues Festival) but it isn't a big music mecca. There are nationally award winning micro-breweries there. The Billings Mustangs baseball season runs much of time you are there and the new ballpark is very nice. For 5 months, I'm sure you'll find things to do. Just might not find single women to do them with.
Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to hear the climate is warm and that there is great breweries around. I'm assuming with the Yellowstone River people go fishing a lot? I've never really been and I would love to try it while I'm out there. It's also come to my attention that Bozeman has a skydiving facility, and as a skydiver that is very attractive to me, so I'll be taking your advice and probably spending some weekend time there. Thanks again!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
There are lots of single women around your age in Billings. There are two college campuses, Montana State Univ.-Billings and Rocky Mountain College. The young men are working in the oil patch in ND/Eastern MT, and the girls are lonely. Enjoy your visit.
Awesome! That is what I like to hear. Thank you for the reply! And I will certainly enjoy my time there.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,506 times
Skydiving in Bozeman has been sporadic at best the past few years but should pick up this year, but not before Spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Holley View Post
Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to hear the climate is warm and that there is great breweries around. I'm assuming with the Yellowstone River people go fishing a lot? I've never really been and I would love to try it while I'm out there. It's also come to my attention that Bozeman has a skydiving facility, and as a skydiver that is very attractive to me, so I'll be taking your advice and probably spending some weekend time there. Thanks again!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtime View Post
Skydiving in Bozeman has been sporadic at best the past few years but should pick up this year, but not before Spring.
Sporadic as in they don't open a lot? I sure hope it picks up, I don't know what I'll do if I'm not able to jump haha. How is the DZ anyways? They just fly a couple 182's correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana