Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 02:57 PM

36 posts, read 169,526 times

Advertisements

DueToJob,

I can imagine I wouldn't be too pleased if someone separated me from my child and hauled me away. Your story though speaks volumes about their reputation for being excellent mothers. Imagine her distress. Looking for her baby all over the neighborhood, not understanding what happened. Although Angus are good mothers they seem to forget about ten hours after weaning and shipping. At least they simply move on with the herd and don't seem to look back. Very different than your story above. Amazing. MtSilvertip, are they very dangerous at weaning time? wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of those horns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 04:01 PM

6,758 posts, read 8,601,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longing4bigsky View Post
Thank you! and we are riveted by your Highlander cattle descriptions. Absolutely riveted. We've been researching diligently since yesterday and went through most of the Scottish breeder's websites. I believe their ranches or farms are called "folds". Interesting you mentioned dogs as I was going to paste this onto this thread. Very interesting.

from their website:

"Highland cattle have evolved alongside predators such as the wolf, which makes them extremely agitated when they see the modern day descendant of the wolf, the dog. Now the Romesdal croft land is diagonally bisected by the road leading down to the old mill and the shore and a few, but not many, of the locals walk their dogs down the road to the shore.

If our Highlanders are in either of the fields adjacent to the road as dogs are on it most of the adults will express their disapproval by charging up and down the fence, bellowing as they do so, in an attempt presumably to drive the dogs away or get at them and kill them. They also tend to react to dogs particularly badly when there are young calves in the fold. There is an exception to this golden rule of Highlander behaviour and that is with our own collie *****, Jay, whom they will ignore or occasionally try to kick as most most have known her since birth."

We would like to get two or three blue heelers once there as I had such good experiences with them when last in Montana. One was a "boyfriend" to my dog and he was the best dog. Loyal and intelligent beyond belief. I have never had the privilege of having one. When I read the above last night I wondered how compatible they'd be with the Highland cattle. Do you need the help of a cattle dog with the Highlanders? You certainly do with the Angus. One of the blues, she seemed to be a runt as she was tiny, many I'm seeing online are very large, was a tireless cattle dog. She worked all day and rarely took a break. I don't know how she did it. They are made of different canine material than other breeds. Protective. Loyal. Intelligent. Tough, great dogs. How would they do with Highlanders? I would hate to lose a dog to a Highlander. Any good local breeders. Very good one in Wyoming.

Highlanders seem not to be hard on the fences as are buffalo. Is that true? You mentioned they are quite small but some of the bulls we are seeing online are enormous. Do you raise for breeding stock or for slaughter? Average heifer price seems to be about $2000. Does that seem about right? Cost of a bull?? I can see the necessity of putting forth that kind of effort to look for the right bull. Gentle dispositions. What a nice change from the angus I've experienced. I didn't realize cattle could be gentle until I read your posts. Amazing how your Father gets in there with the cubes and hand feeds. I would like to grow a herd like that. The horns are a bit intimidating though.

Looked at Columbus again. Realized I kept my horses south of Absaroke south of Nye Rd. Few places can compare to the Big Timber/Livingst/Bozeman area though. Beautiful landscapes. The current pop of Big T seems to be at around 1,600. Does that sound accurate? 5,000 in the county. Seems the land is a bit more affordable north of town than south. Perhaps it is as you mentioned, south being a bit more sheltered. Is summertime less windy than winter? There seems to be considerably less snow than Bozeman, is that correct?

We've got 15 mph winds today and it's not bad at all but it's not 30 degrees either. Big Timber has gusts of 30 mph today but then calms down for the next ten days to around 15 mph. That doesn't sound too bad at all and temps are warming up too and it's only March with many weeks left till summer. Is Big Timber the warmer of the three? Boze/Living/Big T? The more I look at Big Timber as a possible place to put down roots the more I like it. Located midway (approx) btw Bozeman and Livingston is a real plus for us as well. More affordable than either Boze/Livingst from what I can see online. The small high school is a real draw for us. Grocery. Hospital. Anything else we need we can drive a hour or so east or west. Livingston also seems to have many more amenities since we were last there. Grocery, etc.

MtSilvertip, does your father sell any of his peacocks? I don't recall if they are like guineas and need to be started from keets in order to keep them on the property. Many here start with 30 or more keets and end up with around five at the end of the year. They fly off or get eaten. Not the smartest birds in the hen house and terrible parents but great bug patrol. I didn't know peacocks were watch-birds too. The guineas are quite vociferous watch-birds. I can't imagine your father has both. It must be very noisy at his place when a stranger shows up.

Are your cows calving now? Do they follow the same season as angus/herefords?

We are enthralled by your Highlander posts MtSilvertip. We appreciate the time you take to write them!
Folds are the original name of smallholdings in Scotland.

Scotties REALLY hate dogs. If one of the neighbors dogs takes a shortcut across our place, those cows will make sure they don't waste any time getting to the other side of the fence!

One breeder we know had a wolf get in his pasture. Those cows had hit and rolled that wolf and were seriously attempting to make wolf kebabs when the wolf rolled through the fence and took off before the breeder could even get out of the house.

Blue Heelers are great dogs for angus and other beef cattle, but I probably wouldn't use them on Scotties because force will be met with force. Blue Heelers are good dogs, but tend to dive in and run by force. Collies are a good choice because they herd without the confrontation.
We use Scotch Collies ourselves, a breed that has lived alongside the Highlanders for centurys.

Scotties don't like to be driven by horsemen and will scatter and duck past you and make life miserable. But train them to alfalfa cubes and they will follow whereever you want to go.
They are much different to work than regular beef stock because they have to think through whatever you are doing and then when they are comfortable, will load or whatever. You can't force them to do much of anything, but they will do whatever you want if you use patience and a little understanding of the animals. Don't get them excited and they are easy to handle. Get them wound up, forget it until they calm down again.

We raise them primarilly for milk and meat, but we also work them. Our small herd doesn't make us really breeders, more hobbiests. As my father is retired, and I live a long way from the ranch, having a small herd is easier to handle.

As to calves, it depends on when you put the bull in with them. Many breeders shoot for a spring birth, but I know several breeders that run the bulls year round and calve year round so they always have animals reaching butcher weight at any time of the year to sell the meat.

I talked to my father last night and it looks like 2 heifers are getting ready to drop their first calves within the next month.

They don't ride the fences like angus do, and don't walk through them like buffalo. It seems that once they know where they are and what is their territory, as long as they have feed and water they don't push the fences at all. However, they are powerful animals and if running from danger or provoked, yes they could blast through a fence pretty easily.

Normally for us, weaning is pretty simple as the cows simply do it. But we usually seperate the calves into a seperate enclosure for a week to allow the cows to dry up. As long as the cows can see and smell the calves and know they are safe, they don't give us any problems.

On the other hand, I wouldn't go out and grab a newborn either. Those cows take motherhood seriously.

Our first heifers we paid $1000/ea, and a young bull can run anywhere from $500 to $5000 depending on pedigree and if registered.
Ours are purebred, but not registered. Registered stock is genetic tested for breed purity and are far more expensive than just purebred that aren't tested or registered.
The cows can get up as large as 1200 lbs, bulls can go up to a ton, but they have short legs and stocky bodies so they don't look as large as regular beef stock of the same size.

One trick to handling Scotties is to hold your arms up on either side of your body. The cows respect each other's horns and give them space, holding your arms up makes the cows belive those are your horns and they will stand back from you.

Dad hasn't sold any peacocks, but probably would if someone wanted them. We introduced a batch of 3 males and 4 females to the flock last summer, (fresh genetics). They are still there. We just held them in a pen and released them one at a time, one each day so the first ones would hang around the pen, the ones released later would follow the first ones that were comfortable where they were.

A little animal husbandry and knowing what drives the animals can make a big difference in how much difficulty you have working them.

One last thing, Big Timber is between Livingston and Billings. About 30 miles from Livingston, 70 from Billings. Big Timber has about the same weather as Livingston, not nearly as much snow as Bozeman.
1600 sounds about right for population, it isn't a big place, but their hospital is very good, and they have about everything you need available.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:03 PM

34 posts, read 88,842 times
longing4bigsky,

You had to feel sorry for the cow. The elderly gentleman that got her was not experienced in stock animals, just someone who decided he had acreage (Not enough, really) and liked the looks of the Highlander. He got a bit snookered by whoever sold him the cow without the calf. However, you can't have a cow wandering around who might take exception to kids waiting for the bus or someone else who thinks all animals behave like pets. She was finally caught. I just wanted to inject some caution because too many people move out to a bit of acreage and think that's all they need to raise some big stock. And a Highlander would not be my choice for an introduction. I grew up around Guernsey/Hereford crosses, then Angus eventually crossed on that. As kids, we were always running around the pasture and petting the calves, cows didn't care. (Small farm) But you learn to read and respect the animal. I am NOT knocking Highlanders, just think they need a little more respect.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:05 AM

I'm not sure why I continue to make the typo that Big T is btw Boze and Livingst. I of course mean Boze and Billings. Sorry about that.

MtSilvertip I thought you would prob say that the heelers were not the ideal dog for these intelligent beasts. The heelers I have known get down and dirty and nip until those cows bled. Even when we would be at the end of the round up coming down the ravines, the cows exhausted, filing single file in front of us down the steep trails, there she'd be, nipping away at every step, blood trickling down their hind legs and onto the dusty ground. She was relentless, the cows desperate for water, tongues hanging out. But that little heeler felt she had a job to do and as spent as she was and desperate for water herself she kept on until her job was done.

I can see how a Highlander would swing around and end it for the tenacious little dog. They would most likely not put up with it. Far too intelligent to have a dog nip them until they bleed. Not to mention unnecessary.

When you mentioned Scotch Collie I was really surprised as that is my son's favorite dog. I shared it with him tonight and he beamed at the thought of getting a Lassie. I told him not to get too excited. I'm not sure that is the dog for us as that long coat makes me shudder in terms of ticks and fleas. But are they ever gorgeous. How are they around your Highlanders. I did find some Highlander breeders who also raise the collies. Seeing them together in the fields must be a sight to behold. The Scotch Collies are majestic creatures. I have always loved the breed.

I came across a great article this afternoon about safe handling of highland cattle. She outlines much of what you've shared in your posts. It's a good primer for anyone getting into cattle. Although I have worked with cattle a great deal over the years I've never owned cattle and I agree that a healthy respect is required. Naturally.

The link to that article, I don't think I'm allowed to post links, is:

leawhitefarms dot com forward slash handlehighlandssafely dot htm

I would be interested in raising highlanders as breeding stock. Do you do this as well? You mentioned you work them as well. I'm not sure I know what you mean. Your Father wants to ride them? I've seen angus trained to accept a rider, I would love to see a highlander being ridden. Imagining the highlander and scotch collie, it seems such an obvious combination. Are they good with your dogs? How are the dogs with them? The absence of horses seems to be the norm with these animals. Most seem to do it all on foot. Is that how you manage your herd? I hope you don't have to walk long distances in the cold however. That is when a horse comes in handy. I have to say I love working cattle on a horse. That would be a hard one to give up.

MtSilvertip you've really given us quite a bit to think about. We are actually very serious about the prospect of raising this breed of cattle, the peacocks and of course now I must try and explain to my son that we cannot have a Scotch Collie but I know at the end of the day I will give in. We have Scottish heritage. Quite a bit actually so it seems only natural right?

May I ask how much land you have your herding grazing? Does the state allow this breed of cattle to run on blm land?

I appreciate all of the information!! Thank you so much!

Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 AM

When I say we work them, that means we have a team of them we use as oxen. Mostly pulling a wagon right now, but we are working on using them with a stone boat and skidding logs.
Dad wants to break one to ride just for the fun of it
Shouldn't be any problem, they are certainly smart enough and the heifer he wants to use is gentle as a kitten.

We do have horses, and we herded cattle from horseback for years, Scotties just don't like it, so it is just easier to use a bucket of cubes and get them to follow you instead. If you rattle the bucket you can do it off horse back, you just herd them from the lead.

My father's big rough collie that just died was great with the cattle. He was what we called a "header" instead of a "heeler".

A heeler bites cattle on the back of their heels to drive, a header works cattle from the front which means they stand on the side to push the cattle one way or the other while the other dogs follow up. Our dogs don't really nip, that makes the cows mad, but instead they dive in and bark and back out which gets the cows to move away from them.

We put flea collars on our dogs and have never had any problem with ticks or fleas. They do pick up a huge amount of cockeburrs though

The collie and the Scottie seem to be naturals for each other. The collie isn't an agressive dog, the Scotties seem to accept them without trying to run them through every time they see them.

Our new dog is just learning how to work them and picked up his first scab on his nose from not paying attention to my lead cows back hoof. Got to learn somehow.

We don't have open range here, but if you have a grazing lease you can run your stock on BLM.

We only have a few hundred acres now, so we don't have a large herd. We don't sell many to anyone outside our family. We raise just enough for our own use. Once we get our bull we might sell some breeding stock, but right now we don't.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:46 PM

I just read your article from Lea White and can't argue with it. Pretty straightforward commonsense advise for anybody handling cattle.

Some good advise about reading cattle emotions and reactions.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 PM

I thought it was a good article as well.

Can you tell me what the stocking rate is for the area btw Bozeman and Big Timber. If we started with a herd of ten how much land would we need. I tried to find the stocking rate for one heifer/calf pair and surprisingly couldn't find a set rate.

Can you tell me also, do you get your rough collies locally? Breed yourself. My son is absolutely set on getting a rough collie now. Oh dear, see what you started. I've been looking for Montana breeders but have been unsuccessful. I have to say I've always loved the breed and when you look at their characteristics they really are such a great dog. Save for all that hair. The hair and all that it entails is my only reservation. We have been studying all the guardian dog and herding dogs for quite some time. Trying to find a dog breed which won't kill our future chickens/guineas/peacocks, who doesn't need to be fenced in but stays close to home and family, who won't chase everything that moves, who is not a velcro dog (have had too many of those), who is great with children (collies are wonderful with young children (and we will have little visitors from time to time)...Heelers, not so much), and most importantly can help herd the livestock and are compatible with horses. We looked into Anatolians and Maremmas GDs but they seem really more suited for life with sheep and we would prefer cattle although I would like to try sheep one day.

MtSilvertip, do you have only rough collies? Old Time Scotch Collies seem to have the shorter hair and I'm not as familiar with those. I didn't realize the rough collies have a merle color variation. They are gorgeous. I can imagine those long coats would be a magnet for the cockleburrs you described. How do the roughs do in the heat?

So many posts describe Montana summers as lasting two months. Have they looked at the Accuweather archives? Last summer Big Timber was nice and warm from end May all the way until early October. Gorgeous weather with a large number of days in the upper 90's. How did your dogs cope with that heat. A vet once told me the fur insulates them from the heat and should never be cut, clipped or shaved as it will never grow back the same again.

Cold-wise there were only a few below zero nights throughout all the 2013 winter months and even then minus 6 was the worst of the lot. Most nights were in the twenties and thirties with some in the teens. December seemed the worst with Jan/Feb downright balmy compared to what I recall of our time in Billings. Brrr. Minus 30 at night for two weeks straight. My horses lived in a barn there and did not come out for nearly a month. Who wants to live like that? While I don't like sub zero temps if it's just for a few days I can handle it. Billings was horrible insofar as winter nightly temps.

Back to the dogs: My son is currently exercise intolerant and I am trying to find outside activities for him to do which will get him outside without causing undo stress. While he has his indoor brainy pursuits I've not found an outdoor activity for him yet. Years ago while in Mt we went to a competition which involved cattle dogs herding livestock and the dogs were judged etc. It was one of the most amazing things I'd ever seen. They were mostly Heelers who were racing around herding the sheep with very subtle verbal cues from the handler. My son would love this as he has always loved training our dogs and I thought this might be something he could get involved in with the collies. Are there herding dog classes or clinics where they teach how to train the dogs? Maybe we could get a few sheep for this purpose. I know he would love that. He is also interested in archery and that is not something I know anything about. It seems it's becoming very popular in his age group right now. Does Big Timber have anything related to either of these two things?

MtSilvertip, have you seen the photo taken by Nat Geo photographer Jim Richardson of the two enormous highland cattle with the mohawked UK man feeding the cattle a slice of bread. It's called Dumb Blind Luck I think. If you punch in Highland Cattle into google images it will be among the photos. The cattle look prehistoric they are so huge! I don't think I can post links here otherwise I'd post it.

You mentioned in a previous post that winds of 70 mph are not uncommon in Big Timber. That is close to cat 1 Hurricane force winds. By "not uncommon" do you mean monthly? Weekly? You mentioned 15 or so mph most of the time. I think we can handle that. Rather I'm trying to psyche myself that I can. I am determined to get us back to Montana and I think it's Big Timber or bust.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing4bigsky View Post
I thought it was a good article as well.

Can you tell me what the stocking rate is for the area btw Bozeman and Big Timber. If we started with a herd of ten how much land would we need. I tried to find the stocking rate for one heifer/calf pair and surprisingly couldn't find a set rate.

There are serious differences in stocking rates depending on the piece of ground you are looking at. Some riverbottom ground could be 5 acres/cow calf pair, some of the buttes would be closer to 50 acres per. A lot depends on how much water you have and if you irrigate.
As a rough estimate to average in the Big Timber area, I would say probably around 20 acres per cow/calf pair as a starting point.

Can you tell me also, do you get your rough collies locally? Breed yourself. My son is absolutely set on getting a rough collie now. Oh dear, see what you started. I've been looking for Montana breeders but have been unsuccessful. I have to say I've always loved the breed and when you look at their characteristics they really are such a great dog. Save for all that hair. The hair and all that it entails is my only reservation. We have been studying all the guardian dog and herding dogs for quite some time. Trying to find a dog breed which won't kill our future chickens/guineas/peacocks, who doesn't need to be fenced in but stays close to home and family, who won't chase everything that moves, who is not a velcro dog (have had too many of those), who is great with children (collies are wonderful with young children (and we will have little visitors from time to time)...Heelers, not so much), and most importantly can help herd the livestock and are compatible with horses. We looked into Anatolians and Maremmas GDs but they seem really more suited for life with sheep and we would prefer cattle although I would like to try sheep one day.

My father's last dog was a rough, but we have had both roughs and Scotch Collies. I prefer the Scotch and that is what I have now. The roughs are good dogs, but a lot of them are show stock and have had the herding instinct bred out of them. If you find a good one they are really good. We had a Blue Merle Female that was one of the best sheep dogs ever.

I like my Scots because they are more versitile, good hunting dogs, cattle dogs, sheep dogs, guardians and companions.
You need to go to a good breeder to get them because the breed almost died out. We got our last one from a breeder in Washington state, but the wife and I are planning on getting a female so we can at least have the dogs for our own use.
There are some rough collie breeders in Montana, the one my father got his dog from was in Bozeman, but the female died and hasn't been replaced. Most farm dog breeders here are pretty small because of lack of demand for stock dogs instead of show dogs, but they do exist.
Border collies are much easier to get, but tend to be a little timid for working cattle although they excel with sheep.
Any dog can be a stock killer if handled improperly, especially herding dogs because their instinct is to work. They have lots of energy and it must be directed so it isn't let go in the wrong direction.
Collies aren't as bad as some breeds, but it does happen, so training your dog well and buying from a reputable breeder with good blood lines should alieviate that problem.
Teach the dog to avoid the chickens and such, or to leave them alone or let them guard the flock as their responsiblity will usually keep them from doing dumb stuff. Chickens run and flap and make noise so they are fun to chase. Don't let the dog start chasing and it is a lot easier to keep them on the straight and narrow.

MtSilvertip, do you have only rough collies? Old Time Scotch Collies seem to have the shorter hair and I'm not as familiar with those. I didn't realize the rough collies have a merle color variation. They are gorgeous. I can imagine those long coats would be a magnet for the cockleburrs you described. How do the roughs do in the heat?

Scotch collies do have shorter hair and it is easier to take care of. They are usually a smaller dog than the roughs too. Highly intelligent, hard working, loyal to a fault, we have never had trouble with one being mean to kids, but we are pretty slective in the dogs we have too.
Personally, they are my favorite breed of dog, but real Scotch Collies can be very difficult to find.

So many posts describe Montana summers as lasting two months. Have they looked at the Accuweather archives? Last summer Big Timber was nice and warm from end May all the way until early October. Gorgeous weather with a large number of days in the upper 90's. How did your dogs cope with that heat. A vet once told me the fur insulates them from the heat and should never be cut, clipped or shaved as it will never grow back the same again.

True. Comb the undercoat out when they shed in the spring, make sure they have plenty of water and a shady place to go lay and cool off during they day, and they do fine.
My father's big rough refused to come in the house unless the weather was REALLY bad with blowing/drifting snow. Otherwise, he had a bed under the porch and was very happy there.
Cold doesn't really effect them just like the Highland cows. They are bred to it.
Cockleburrs are a pain, but the dogs will pull them out themselves and the ones they can't reach are easier to remove with a little baby oil.

Cold-wise there were only a few below zero nights throughout all the 2013 winter months and even then minus 6 was the worst of the lot. Most nights were in the twenties and thirties with some in the teens. December seemed the worst with Jan/Feb downright balmy compared to what I recall of our time in Billings. Brrr. Minus 30 at night for two weeks straight. My horses lived in a barn there and did not come out for nearly a month. Who wants to live like that? While I don't like sub zero temps if it's just for a few days I can handle it. Billings was horrible insofar as winter nightly temps.

Nights can get pretty nippy, but usually if it is really cold you don't have any cloud cover and the days are gloriously bright and clear.
There are times I prefer the clouds because then it is usually warmer

Back to the dogs: My son is currently exercise intolerant and I am trying to find outside activities for him to do which will get him outside without causing undo stress. While he has his indoor brainy pursuits I've not found an outdoor activity for him yet. Years ago while in Mt we went to a competition which involved cattle dogs herding livestock and the dogs were judged etc. It was one of the most amazing things I'd ever seen. They were mostly Heelers who were racing around herding the sheep with very subtle verbal cues from the handler. My son would love this as he has always loved training our dogs and I thought this might be something he could get involved in with the collies. Are there herding dog classes or clinics where they teach how to train the dogs? Maybe we could get a few sheep for this purpose. I know he would love that. He is also interested in archery and that is not something I know anything about. It seems it's becoming very popular in his age group right now. Does Big Timber have anything related to either of these two things?

4H has dog training and competitions, and there are other competitions held around the state for various dog clubs usually involving herding either sheep or cattle, so that is a viable pursuit.
Archery and Bowhunting are a big deal here with lots of people involved and several clubs as well.
One other outdoor pursuit your son may enjoy is fishing as Big Timber has the Yellowstone and Boulder rivers right on the edge of town, and lots of small streams to explore and enjoy as well.

MtSilvertip, have you seen the photo taken by Nat Geo photographer Jim Richardson of the two enormous highland cattle with the mohawked UK man feeding the cattle a slice of bread. It's called Dumb Blind Luck I think. If you punch in Highland Cattle into google images it will be among the photos. The cattle look prehistoric they are so huge! I don't think I can post links here otherwise I'd post it.

I go look on those sites a lot, and there are a lot of them, mostly great pictures I haven't seen the specific one you are talking about, but I have seen others like it.

You mentioned in a previous post that winds of 70 mph are not uncommon in Big Timber. That is close to cat 1 Hurricane force winds. By "not uncommon" do you mean monthly? Weekly? You mentioned 15 or so mph most of the time. I think we can handle that. Rather I'm trying to psyche myself that I can. I am determined to get us back to Montana and I think it's Big Timber or bust.
You have to remember, the air density in Montana is a lot less than at sea level. I have experienced winds of over 100 MPH in Livingston, no big deal. They blow over bill boards and move all the trash from one end of town to the other, but the houses are built for the winds and except for a few sheds blown over, it really isn't cause for concern.
If I were on the coast it would be a hurricane.

High winds happen, you can't predict a specific number of days per year they will occur, but you will probably have at least 5 or 6 days a year where the winds will hit 70+, but when you live there and are used to the daily winds and the occasional lesser zephyrs of 30-50 MPH, 70 isn't that big a deal. It is rare to hear the locals even comment on high winds unless they go on for a few days or blow snow across the roads. It is just what happens.

I wouldn't let the wind scare me if I were you. You just accept it is there, and once you are there for a while, the wind just becomes a normal part of life so you don't even notice it anymore.

Every place has it's drawbacks, at least the wind keeps the air clean, blows any trash out of your yard, and moves the storm systems through quickly

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 03-12-2013 at 03:54 PM..

Old 03-12-2013, 10:36 PM

281 posts, read 871,122 times
Every time I have been to Big Timber, I've enjoyed my brief stay there. The most I've stayed is up to three days. Whatever you do, do not make the mistake I made and go only on looks or word of mouth. Go there if you can and stay for awhile and see for yourself. I moved to Polson because I *thought* it looked nice enough. Huge mistake. Good luck to you on your move.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 AM

Thank you for the detailed response! I perused the breeder's websites yesterday after reading your post and I am beginning to understand what you mean in that it is difficult to find a good farm dog. Most of the rough collie sites show the dogs standing for show. Very puffy. Not images of herding. On youtube there were a few videos of them herding and they did it beautifully but also showed a few who were not interested so it does seem as you said that they are being bred for show rather than farm.

I like the Scotch collie with the shorter hair as well. On Scotchcollie dot org or was it Scotch.farmcollie dot org they have Richard Ansdell's paintings displayed. This English painter is one of my favorites. The pastoral scenes of Scotland with the sheep and their dogs. These dogs of which you speak so fondly. He is not the most well known painter but absolutely one of the best. I wish I could collect posters of all of his images. They are beautiful! Our tartan comes from the Stuart clan and although they seemed not to have any highland clans they no doubt probably had these animals. I wonder if there is such a thing as genetic memory and that is why they appeal to me so much. I wonder if your family has Scottish heritage and perhaps that is why you were drawn to them.

I am encouraged by what you said about 4H teaching the dog training. I would love for him to learn fly fishing. We fished only once when he was younger but he was too young to actually cast. I think these things would be a great way for him to get outside.

I did further research the wind issue and do know what you mean about not letting it scare me. However, you were raised there. I think that is a key aspect. Men also are not as sensitive to wind as women. I did read Ursa's previous post where she mentioned Tim Cahill's chapter Ill Wind in Poison Creek. I read it and well that certainly gives one pause doesn't it.

It seems everyone I talk to says the wind in Big Timber is the same as Livingston and Livingston is the 4th most windy town in the US. My biggest worry is imagining myself caring for livestock in the middle of winter with gale force winds grabbing me and sending me sailing down the road. I am a small person and that wind would pick me up and toss me around like a pop can.

However, we have decided to give it a go. Heart, we do plan to rent first before buying. I love the idea that Big Timber is small and has a superior high school. Great school. 200 kids. The school in Bozeman is too large at 1600 kids, Boze too high in elevation for my son. Livingston schools still need some improvement but are coming along. Big Timber still affordable for us (but MtSilvertip I am beginning to get a bit concerned about the stocking rate.) Boze/Living not so much. If Big Timber does not work out due to wind I honestly don't know where else to try. We like the proximity to the U in Bozeman and all the offerings there. We love the paradise valley and the mountains and scenery there and in teh Big T area. Columbus is too far from Bozeman and although pretty cannot compare to the Boze/Living/Big T area. Also, hospital for Colum. is in Billings. Too far.

I am praying it works out. It seems the wind is worse in the winter. Perhaps we could leave for a month and head somewhere warmer to give ourselves a break. I am trying not to worry about the wind but reading the former posts about Livingston has made me feel pretty anxious.

There aren't any rentals to speak of in Big Timber area so we may have to rent in Livingston and trek back and forth to Big T. One person cautioned me about Big T that it is very insular and the locals do not let you in. Well, we make friends very easily so I'm not too worried about that one. We love animals, dogs, etc. are open and easy going and are looking forward to coming home to Montana and getting involved with all that the community and Montana have to offer. I have my heart set on Big Timber now and am just really praying the wind is something I can handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana