U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 06:15 PM

147 posts, read 353,576 times

Advertisements

We are flying into Denver in late June and wanted to drive to the Tetons and Yellowstone. However, we really wanted to see Glacier NP most of all. However, it is so far north. If we just spent a day in the Tetons and Yellowstone and then headed to GNP is this possible without spending all our time in the car?

We like to drive, get out and look, eat, and keep no schedule and just play it by ear and not have reservations. Will we be able to find a decent hotel in the area without reservations?

I would prefer to fly in closer but airfare is so high now we really cant pass up the price to Denver.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 06:36 PM

18,847 posts, read 33,476,516 times
It is about eight hours or more drive time from YNP to Glacier...probably more like ten hours, and that is not even counting summer road construction time.

I would just focus on YNP for this trip. Enjoy hiking, taking pictures of animals.

Others may have a different opinion.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 PM

147 posts, read 353,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is about eight hours or more drive time from YNP to Glacier...probably more like ten hours, and that is not even counting summer road construction time.

I would just focus on YNP for this trip. Enjoy hiking, taking pictures of animals.

Others may have a different opinion.
Thanks I figured it was a bit aggressive for one trip. We move fast but that is a lot of miles to cover even moving fast.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 PM

8,447 posts, read 10,177,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62mike View Post
We are flying into Denver in late June and wanted to drive to the Tetons and Yellowstone. However, we really wanted to see Glacier NP most of all. However, it is so far north. If we just spent a day in the Tetons and Yellowstone and then headed to GNP is this possible without spending all our time in the car?

We like to drive, get out and look, eat, and keep no schedule and just play it by ear and not have reservations. Will we be able to find a decent hotel in the area without reservations?

I would prefer to fly in closer but airfare is so high now we really cant pass up the price to Denver.

Thanks.
Stick with Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Glacier is nice but that will be a major jaunt to go from YNP to GNP. It will be enough of a drive from Denver to YNP/GTNP.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:47 PM

14,549 posts, read 17,141,851 times
Depends on what you want to do. If you want animal scenery- Yellowstone is hard to beat. If you like rugged, jagged peaks and incredible views- Going to the Sun Road is hard to beat.

If you want to hike- Glacier is tops in my book.

This is just my opinion. Obviously YNP is incredible. I just like Glacier. And those Glaciers ain't gonna be around much longer.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:03 AM

18,696 posts, read 38,036,313 times
How long do you plan on spending on this trip?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:55 AM

629 posts, read 1,534,733 times
I'd save it for another time unless your trip is several weeks long. There's more than enough in the form of hiking, areas to explore and other recreation opportunities in Yellowstone & Grand Teton to keep you busy for weeks alone. Don't be one of those visitors who spend 8 hours in the car and half an hour hopping out to snap a picture, go to the bathroom and then moving on. Get out, slow down, experience it away from the roadway. You'll be glad you did.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:32 AM

297 posts, read 707,961 times
I agree with the others -- it's a LOT to see, and since you are flying into Denver, stick with the Tetons and YNP this trip. Maybe another trip you can fly into Spokane or Missoula and take in GNP. Another factor is that by late June the Going to the Sun Highway across Logan Pass in GNP may very well not be open. Even if it's not delayed by weather this year, the most recent federal budget cuts are affecting the park.

YNP in the summer is very crowded and it'll take you a while to move through the park and see all the interesting sites. (Actually, one can never see them ALL!) Have fun!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:04 PM

5,403 posts, read 4,877,125 times
For Teton Yellowstone trip, give yourself time to visit the museum(s) at Cody.
If you have extra time, a drive on very scenic Beartooth highway to Red Lodge could get you out of the crowds.

Next trip you could take Amtrak to Glacier.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:58 PM

3,763 posts, read 7,845,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
How long do you plan on spending on this trip?
The answer to this question is the key to the answer to your question, mike.

As for lodging in Yellowstone for late June, take a look at the xanterra/yellowstone reservation site to give yourself a feel for how full lodging within the park is now.

It would be sad to try to do Yellowstone in one day. GTNP & YP in a day would be really sad.

But Glacier is glorious too. The beartooth highway at the northeast entrance to Yellowstone rivels Going to the Sun for beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana