Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 AM

4 posts, read 11,570 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. My family and I are considering a move to Montana - specifically the Kalispell/Flathead area. My wife and I both have somewhat "mobile" careers - I'm a teacher and she works in the medical field. There are presently jobs available for both of us in Kalispell that we are considering applying for - we wouldn't be moving without jobs lined up first. The salaries are slightly lower and home prices are slightly higher, but they're comparable enough to Kentucky, we're sure we could make it work. My wife and I are both from New England, so we're used to the snow/blizzards/nor'easters/freezing temperatures in the winter. Actually, that is one of the reasons that is prompting this move...We like Kentucky, but the winters are simply cold and rainy - not much to make them feel like a real winter. The summers are also a little to hot for us. We miss having four real seasons. I've scoured the forum and internet and I've learned just about all I can about the Kalispell area. I do have some lingering questions, though....

1. I have read alot about the area not welcoming outsiders. This is the only thing that worries me about the area. What do I make of this? I heard the same about Kentucky before I moved here. Of course, you have your territorial types, but for the most part, it was very welcoming. We are friendly, but keep to ourselves unless we get our toes stepped on, so to speak. We would not be looking to change anyone's culture. (hey - New England-to-Kentucky taught me alot about that!)
2. We have three young children...two in elementary and one in preschool. How are the schools? I can only gather so much from a school system website, and as a teacher, I would appreciate some more insight on this.
3. Is the area kid- / Family-friendly? We want to be able to get outdoors with our kids and enjoy the area.
4. Finally...any other info that might be valuable to us while contemplating this?

I appreciate all your responses - no matter how honest! Thanks! - Eric
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 04:02 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,937,492 times
We moved to Kalispell with California plates on our rigs. We were welcomed very well by the folks we met there. We lived in three different places there before we moved to the Flathead Reservation to buy a place.
Neighbors helped us out a lot before I got my business going and I worked a few jobs in the meantime. Everyone we met was super nice.
We did NOT try to get involved in local politics and always offered our help to our neighbors when we first met them if they ever needed help with anything.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:45 PM

10,232 posts, read 13,740,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckycat7 View Post
Hello, everyone. My family and I are considering a move to Montana - specifically the Kalispell/Flathead area. My wife and I both have somewhat "mobile" careers - I'm a teacher and she works in the medical field. There are presently jobs available for both of us in Kalispell that we are considering applying for - we wouldn't be moving without jobs lined up first. The salaries are slightly lower and home prices are slightly higher, but they're comparable enough to Kentucky, we're sure we could make it work. My wife and I are both from New England, so we're used to the snow/blizzards/nor'easters/freezing temperatures in the winter. Actually, that is one of the reasons that is prompting this move...We like Kentucky, but the winters are simply cold and rainy - not much to make them feel like a real winter. The summers are also a little to hot for us. We miss having four real seasons. I've scoured the forum and internet and I've learned just about all I can about the Kalispell area. I do have some lingering questions, though....

1. I have read alot about the area not welcoming outsiders. This is the only thing that worries me about the area. What do I make of this? I heard the same about Kentucky before I moved here. Of course, you have your territorial types, but for the most part, it was very welcoming. We are friendly, but keep to ourselves unless we get our toes stepped on, so to speak. We would not be looking to change anyone's culture. (hey - New England-to-Kentucky taught me alot about that!)
2. We have three young children...two in elementary and one in preschool. How are the schools? I can only gather so much from a school system website, and as a teacher, I would appreciate some more insight on this.
3. Is the area kid- / Family-friendly? We want to be able to get outdoors with our kids and enjoy the area.
4. Finally...any other info that might be valuable to us while contemplating this?

I appreciate all your responses - no matter how honest! Thanks! - Eric
That part of Montana is not welcoming of outsiders, as you mentioned. Outsiders means anyone from California or "back east" (which means anyone outside of Montana). Since I lived in western Montana and came from southwest Montana I was tolerated, but the way the locals bitched about anyone from outside of the area ruining their "way of life" was tiring (and I only lived there a year). While there is truth to the fact that outsiders buying up land for second homes has driven up the real estate prices, it seemed to me that anyone from out of state was demonized. That being said, since I was from Montana it was a sin for me to leave the area. As far as being a teacher, I don't know what the wages are in Kentucky but I'm sure they are higher than Montana. Montana is consistently in the very bottom of the nation for teacher pay. Couple that with a high cost of living and you are likely going to struggle unless your wife makes good money. As far as the quality of the schools themselves I have no idea. There are plenty of outdoor activities available but as mentioned before, hopefully you can afford to buy any necessary equipment. I know this is a bleak picture, but I don't advise anyone to move to that part of the state without very careful planning and consideration.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:11 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,467,253 times
It has repeatedly been explained to me that the NW area of Montana has under-employment as a major problem. This was brought home to me last week when we were out to dinner in Kalispell. Our very nice waitress was a local school teacher.

I would not live in that area because winters are mostly overcast and I like sunshine in the winter. Flathead is wonderful in summer and early fall. I believe if closer to Thompson Falls there is less overcast. Perhaps someone can speak to that.

I can not speak to the unwelcoming people issue. I would think your fields (teaching & medical) would make you an immediate part of your work community after a few weeks on the job.

Montana is one big outdoors adventure and a wonderful place to grow up. Good luck finding a place to call home. Opportunities for teachers & careers in medical fields exist across the state.

Last edited by historyfan; 03-29-2013 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: left out place name

Old 03-29-2013, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the replies.
@ DontLookPhoto - That's pretty much the way we are. We'll help others out just to get to know them.
@WyoEagle - I understand what you are saying. However, we definitely wouldn't be "fair-weather residents." We would be settling down for the long run. As for salaries...Kentucky has higher starting salaries for teachers, but the average salaries are very comparable - only about $1500 off. I do have additional certifications that bump me up the scales, too. My wife makes pretty good money, as well. Believe me...we are not going to do this on a whim. We're scrutinizing every angle and piece of information before we make this decision.
@historyfan - Very much the same thing is happening here - teacher workforces are shrinking and it's tough to hang on to a job.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,647,255 times
Default Southern Montana?

Kentucky, the wife and I have spent a good deal of vacation time in Montana and Wyoming, and live in Colorado for 14years and Kentucky for 17. I'm already retired and as she approaches retirement we've been looking for retirement near the montainous regions we love. We have considered south Montana from Billings to Bozeman because they are close to our favorite vacation areas--Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

We did not find folks in the Whitefish/Kalispell area to be particularly friendly and it was worse along the southern edge of Flathead Lake---and we were just tourists and I tend to be a "people" person. We felt Bozeman was friendlier, and Livingston, 20 miles east of there, more so.

A big weather factor is much longer days in the summer and longer nights in the winter.
It amazed us on our vacations up there.

Weather wise, Colorado might be a better fit for you, but it is expensive to live there and
jobs, particularly teaching, tough to find. The other side of that is the fantastic retirement program teachers have--so it is a career field with lots of competition. We would move back to Colorado, but it is absolutely not retirement friendly for those of modest means.

We are looking now to southeast Idaho which we feel is very friendly and family oriented. So is Boise from reading the forums. The downside for a young family is jobs, jobs, jobs.

Good luck on your decision---and by the way--Go Cards!!! and Robert Morris???

Last edited by Wardendresden; 03-29-2013 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 03-29-2013, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,297 times
We moved to the Bigfork area about 3 yrs ago from Tennessee. It has been a positive experience all the way around. We found the people the be very friendly and helpful. It did not take long to establish a network of friends. If anything the locals were more open to us than the newer people. We are outdoor people with horses and there are many here with common interests.
I am in the health care field and had no problem getting a job. The main hospital in the valley is currently expanding and jobs are available.
We do not have kids so I don't know anything about the schools.
The cost of living is slightly higher than Tennessee. Food and car insurance are higher but utilities and gasoline are much lower. We have found our expenses about break even. My salary as a nurse is about the same as in Tennessee.
Hope this info is helpful to you.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:46 AM

@Wardendresden: Let's not talk about those Cats, alright? Kind of a sore spot right now. I would consider Colorado, but it is becoming a bit too liberal for my conservative tastes.

@Sadierose: I would think Tennessee to Montana would be about the same as Kentucky to Montana. I'm glad to hear you have had a good experience. I have found pretty much what you said from my research. There are 5 job openings for my wife's job at the hospital there and I'm applying for a teaching job that is open. That's one of the reasons that led us to Kalispell - a job opening for both of us as opposed to just one and the other having to wait and search.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:04 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,467,253 times
My comments about the teacher being a waitress were not clearly made. She held two jobs..teacher during day and waitress at night.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:49 PM

19,387 posts, read 22,327,208 times
The teaching professions in MT is really undervalued in my opinion. Why we don't place a higher value on education is beyond me. I feel we are fortunate to have the caliber of teachers we do have considering the meager wages.

A teacher with a Masters could earn damn near x2 in another neighboring state... That's abhorrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana