Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 04:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,896 times

Advertisements

hello, i am looking to move away from miami and relocate to montana. Miami is no longer a place i want to be in. It has really gotten expensive to live here and its just getting worse. i remember when miami was a laid back kinda place, but that is no longer. ive been here all my life, and am just plain tired of the big city it has become. ive been a seaport dock worker for over 25 years. i am alone and in my late 40's and really need a change. i would like to live the rest of my days in a semi wilderness setting where i can hear myself breath. ive looked at realestate in western montana,but would appreciate some tips and advise on locations for a guy who would like to fish, hunt, hike and do other outdoor activites. i really need a small town lifestyle and would like to hear from you on what you think. thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 05:51 PM

7,339 posts, read 12,555,925 times
Makkyo, I hear you, and I think a move now, at this time in your life and you being by yourself, is a very good idea. But let me suggest something: If you've only lived in FL, then Montana's winter weather is going to be a shock to your entire physical well-being. So I suggest you include another alternative in your research: the small towns in the Cascade Mountains E/NE of Seattle such as Snohomish, Snoqualme, Fall City, or Carnation, to name a few. Or, if you dare, right up Mr. Rainier in Eatonville. Winters are milder, there is wilderness as well as wildlife, it's a beautiful area, and should you find out that a new career is not quite what you had thought it was, the multiple harbors of Puget Sound are within reach. At least you could use it for your first year away from FL as a staging area from which to explore Western Montana and North Idaho, and get used to another climate. (And Western MT is not an inexpensive place to live...)

Old 11-04-2013, 10:05 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,130,222 times
Coming from Miamia and me living in Helena, MT I can imagine we have different definitions of what constitutes a "small town". The largest cities in Montana hover around 100k witch is a small city by most of the country's standard but it's big for Montana. What kind of population and amenities are you looking for?

I second Clark Fork Fantast's recommendation.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:43 AM

First let me thank you for your quick reply. Yes, being from south floridia and moving to the northwest winters will be a new experience and some getting used to. As far as work, im not really looking to continue working as a longshoremen, what im looking for is a job that would just help me pay the usual bills; power, water, phone,fuel and food. My home here is on the market and i'd like to purchase a decent place to call home. We do have a different definition of a small town, being that south florida, miami in paticular has about three million residents. My buget for a home is roughly in the sixty to eighty thousand area, ive been looking at homes online in montana and have seen a few nice prospects. I plan to travel to the area in january to see first hand what places would suit me best. North east Washington was not really on my mind but now im also looking through some realestate in the areas you've suggested. i am taking your advise and opinions very seriously and hope to hear more from you both as my decision process continues. Please continue to send me more of your insights on the matter as i really welcome it. Kudos to Clark Fort Fantast & Vegabern.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:51 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,130,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkyo17 View Post
First let me thank you for your quick reply. Yes, being from south floridia and moving to the northwest winters will be a new experience and some getting used to. As far as work, im not really looking to continue working as a longshoremen, what im looking for is a job that would just help me pay the usual bills; power, water, phone,fuel and food. My home here is on the market and i'd like to purchase a decent place to call home. We do have a different definition of a small town, being that south florida, miami in paticular has about three million residents. My buget for a home is roughly in the sixty to eighty thousand area, ive been looking at homes online in montana and have seen a few nice prospects. I plan to travel to the area in january to see first hand what places would suit me best. North east Washington was not really on my mind but now im also looking through some realestate in the areas you've suggested. i am taking your advise and opinions very seriously and hope to hear more from you both as my decision process continues. Please continue to send me more of your insights on the matter as i really welcome it. Kudos to Clark Fort Fantast & Vegabern.

I'm curious where in Montana you have been looking? I don't know any towns with real estate in the 60-80K range. Especially if you will still be working. You're not going to get into one of the larger Montana cities in that price range. Unless you're comfortable in a trailer park. Or maybe Butte.

If you give me an idea of which areas you're looking at or a better description of what you're looking for I'd be happy to give you what info/opinions I have.

You should also consider Northern Idaho. It is similar to Montana with much cheaper real estate.

Edited because I'm mortified that I said "witch" instead of "which" in my first post. I couldn't go on with my day if I hadn't called myself out.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:37 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,802,713 times
I was going to say, I don't think Montana is inexpensive. There are some pretty high costs of living there, and $60-$80,000 won't put you in a nice house in a nice area with even half the amenities that you're used to (unless you meant you'll be using that amount for a down payment). Also, moving there without a job isn't a great idea unless you have a lot of savings.

I used a Cost of Living Comparison calculator: If you were earning $50,000 in Miami, apparently you'd have to earn $49,170 in Helena to keep the same lifestyle. That only makes, Helena at least, 3% cheaper to live in. (I chose Miami because you mentioned it, and Helena because it's the first city that I thought of in Montana).

It's good that you're planning to visit Montana in the winter, so at least you would have an idea of what a Montana winter is like before you move.

Cost of Living calculator:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-05-2013 at 08:26 AM..

Old 11-04-2013, 03:45 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,735,443 times
I will also throw in my $.02...

The amount you mentioned is pretty low when looking for real estate in western Montana. Montana is not the inexpensive place to live that it used to be.

What are you thinking about for work? Obviously, being a longshoreman isn't going to work here. You must have something else in mind?

It is a good thing you are coming in January to visit. While it can be described...the brutality of how frigid it gets here has to be something you are willing to spend several months enduring. You need to experience it for yourself.

I live in a town of 1200...the nearest Starbucks is 24 miles away. The movie theatre is 36 miles (one way). We have a small market in town for basics (but it gets expensive)...or I have to make the 30+ mile drive for groceries. When you remember that 4 -5 months of the year are winter conditions...it gets to be a hassle like none other.

Just some things to think about...

Old 11-04-2013, 07:11 PM

10,227 posts, read 13,730,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkyo17 View Post
hello, i am looking to move away from miami and relocate to montana. Miami is no longer a place i want to be in. It has really gotten expensive to live here and its just getting worse. i remember when miami was a laid back kinda place, but that is no longer. ive been here all my life, and am just plain tired of the big city it has become. ive been a seaport dock worker for over 25 years. i am alone and in my late 40's and really need a change. i would like to live the rest of my days in a semi wilderness setting where i can hear myself breath. ive looked at realestate in western montana,but would appreciate some tips and advise on locations for a guy who would like to fish, hunt, hike and do other outdoor activites. i really need a small town lifestyle and would like to hear from you on what you think. thanks a bunch.
You can hunt, fish, and hike anywhere in Montana (although the species you hunt varies depending on where you are). You can do lots of outdoor activities as well, although it can vary depending on what you like (proximity to lakes, etc.) You can also live in small towns anywhere in the state. Are you specifically wanting mountains or would you consider plains as well? The plains may not have the "postcard" pictures that you think of for Montana but do have a rugged beauty and some down to earth people in them. How close do you want to live to a "city?" Lots of questions, I know, but some of us might be able to narrow some ideas down for you.

You might also consider Wyoming. Wages are a bit better and there is no state income tax.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 PM

I was considering mountain areas, more of a small town where people a laid back and friendly to new comers, if thats possible. Wyoming sounds great too. ive been banging my head looking at real estate in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho too. Im not looking for the amenities of the city, not too close would be good. im more interested in small town life. As i said in my first post, i live alone with my two dogs and dont need a big place, somewhere decent, im not really a trailer park guy. Ive seen lots of homes that cater to families. i just need a small place that can fit my buget, where i can find some job to get by, basically. Would it help to have some college, or being bilingual ?

Old 11-05-2013, 12:08 AM

6,741 posts, read 8,501,590 times
Lots of small towns that match your criteria, most aren't as cheap as you may hope, good paying jobs are few and far between, but living here can be done if it is what you really want.

College is an option, but not imperative to finding a job. If you are a good mechanic for instance, you can find a job. Diesel mechanics are always in demand in farm country for instance, and usually make fair wages.
Electricians, Plumbers, skilled trades can usually find work. General labor can be had, but usually doesn't pay much.
You might find work on a farm or ranch if you have some skills. There are still a couple of sawmills and post and pole plants operating.

Places like Townsend have mountains, close to Helena, not far from Bozeman, nice little community, cheaper than the western side of the state.

Good Luck

Oh yeah, P.S.

Most Montanans are tri-lingual, American, Canadian and North Dakotan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana