Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 03:57 PM

42 posts, read 97,399 times

Advertisements

We live up a winding dirt road about 10 miles outside of our small town. Helena is an hour away and Bozeman a little less than an hour and a half. When we built, we put in an ice machine, a commercial two door refrigerator and a two door freezer. Built a nice walk-in pantry too. Plenty of room to stock up and not have to make those long drives for supplies very often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 10:05 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,135,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowSand View Post
We live up a winding dirt road about 10 miles outside of our small town. Helena is an hour away and Bozeman a little less than an hour and a half. When we built, we put in an ice machine, a commercial two door refrigerator and a two door freezer. Built a nice walk-in pantry too. Plenty of room to stock up and not have to make those long drives for supplies very often.
How about Power Outages?........When I built my home (35 yrs ago), the Electric Power and the Phone Line had to be brought in from a point 3950 feet from my property line and across a major 40 foot wide creek that feeds into the Bitterroot River. During the first 10 years here, we had frequent power outages. So I bought a 10,000 KW Generator as back up.

Have you had similiar problems and what size generator do you have?

Old 09-21-2014, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,196 times
Default Broadview is not in the sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
I was looking at the map where my hope-to-be ranch is, and it's at least an hour in any direction to the grocery store! LOL Where does one get gas and a soda around here!? Wait, is it soda or pop in Montana? Does anyone know if there is a convenience store in Broadview? No, seriously. I was on Google street view in Broadview trying to figure that one out.

I'm no stranger to rural living, but rural in the South and rural in Montana are two different things! The furthest I've lived from a major town was 40 miles, but where I lived that was 40 minutes. NO ONE drove less than 65 and most did 75/80 in those parts. If we didn't, we wouldn't have gotten anything done! Google maps is telling me it's 1 1/2 hrs (~30 miles) to Billings, and 1 hour (~15 miles) to Roundup. I suppose that's based on the grade roads I would have to travel.

My most challenging rural driving was deep in the Appalachian mountains of NW NC. I drove my son to school every day, 17 miles and about 45 minutes one way. We were on the tail end of the bus route, and if he rode the bus, he had to be up at 5 AM and at the bus stop at 5:45 for a 2 1/2 hour bus ride. No way was I going to allow that! If I didn't pick him up, he wasn't home until 5:45 PM. Now that's rural living!
Broadview is 30 miles outside Billings. It is on a modern highway (MT hwy 3) and you can be to the city in less than 30 minutes. The last time I was there it had a bar, a post office and a school. I can't recall if it had a convenience shop. It is 15 miles from Lavina which is the Junction for U.S. Highway 12 to the north. Billings is to your south but it is a normal 70-75 mph drive.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:12 AM

6,368 posts, read 7,813,671 times
My lady friend lives on a small ranch about eight miles north of Three Forks. Yeah, she drives a lot. She works at the airport in Belgrade and frequently drives to watch her grandkids participate in sports. She wears out cars pretty quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana