Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,135 times

Advertisements

Can anyone share your thoughts with me on Townsend area? I have not been there and I live in Texas but, I am wanting to buy property in Montana. I found some I can afford in Townsend but I would have to do it site unseen. Google Earth only shows so much and I can not draw a good conclusion for it. I am hoping someone can fill me in on the territory there. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:54 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Townsend is a great place, but you need to know exactly where the property is as there are places in the area that have 0 water, some are only accessable in the summer, some don't have roads to the property or right of ways.

I know of one piece of ground there that was 160 acres at a really good price, but you had to access it by foot as there was no easement.

There is some beautiful land in the area, you have the Elkhorn mountains on the west side of the valley, the Big Belts on the other, a wide fertile valley with the Missouri river running through it. Lots of fishing and world class hunting.
Townsend itself is a pretty little community, pretty agriculture based but a lot of folks commute from Townsend to Helena every day for work.

That area can get hit with snow and wind, and it can get cold there, but overall it's a nice place to be.

I would never buy ground in Montana sight unseen, there are too many shady realtors here to ever take that chance.

Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2014, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,135 times
Thank you very much MTSilvertip...the land is in a place called Grassy Mountain Ranch. Have you ever heard of that?

Old 08-04-2014, 10:07 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
On the Deep Creek Divide between Townsend and White Sulphur?

If it's that one, it is a pretty area high in the Big Belt Mountains. Depending on the parcel, some are very nice.
It's main problem is it is pretty high up there so it gets a lot of snow. It's about 15 miles to Townsend, and about the same to White Sulphur, so if that is the place you would want a good vehicle, and keep some food stored for the winter.

It's an older established development, pretty good gravel roads and a paved 2 lane highway. Some timber, lots of wildlife, good views.

As long as you don't have to get out to work everyday, it would be a very nice place.

If that is the development you are referencing, it is actually mostly in Meagher County not Broadwater where Townsend is.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:56 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Last year on a visit to my friend who lives on a ranch north of Three Forks, I took the opportunity to ride my bicycle from Townsend out highway 12 to the top of the hills. A lot of times, cars/trucks don't like to share the roads with bikes, but everyone I encountered gave me a wide berth and was very respectful. Parked the car in town for several hours and it was not messed with in any way. From what I saw, I like Townsend and would consider spending my retirement years there.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:18 PM

33 posts, read 79,756 times
if considering three forks area beware of this place ....

//www.city-data.com/forum/bozem...-forks-mt.html

I was out there a couple years back and it is an awful place to get a start in. and the road out there was long as all get out.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:20 PM

33 posts, read 79,756 times
However, while the 3fks area is gorgeous, the beautiful areas all cost..remember if its cheap there has got to be a reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana