U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:37 PM

113 posts, read 147,270 times

Advertisements

I agree- kalispell is really the furthest that I'd stay. if you look now, you should be able to find a place to stay in or near kalispell. Great falls is definitely too far away to drive back and forth. With everything to see and do, you will most likely be exhausted, and you will kick your self for not listening to 406fire309!! Book now!! What is your budget- i can give you some recommendations on where to stay. You could probably find something "the day of", but you will pay a premium.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 09:07 PM

629 posts, read 1,610,527 times
Ditto to what historyfan said. Great Falls would be way too far.

I'd really try to fly into Kalispell if you can, it's a heck of a lot more convenient than flying into Bozeman and having to drive 5-6 hrs.

Did you check Apgar Village Lodge in the park? (http://www.glacierparkinc.com/apgar_village_lodge.php) Their rates are about as reasonable as you're going to find inside the park boundaries. Call them daily, call them several times a day, people are always cancelling so you might luck out. Also call, don't rely on their online systems.

After that start looking outwards in the following order on the west side, West Glacier, Coram, Hungry Horse, Columbia Falls, Kalispell, Whitefish. I don't think you'd want to stay any further away than those. Check places like vrbo.com and homeaway.com.

Glacier is big enough that it's worth staying a few days on the west side (listed above) and a few days on the east side if you can so you can spend less time driving and more exploring. On the east side look for places in St. Mary or East Glacier.

Try using www.google.com/hotels

Here's a few shots from the park I took while biking this weekend.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:57 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,256,604 times
Don't fly into/out of Bozeman unless you're adding Yellowstone NP onto your trip. Glacier is a minimum of 6 hours and 325 miles from Bozeman. Fly into Missoula or Kalispell. Kalispell is 60 miles away and Missoula is 160 miles away so both are much closer to Glacier.

As others have said, Great Falls is 185 miles away which would take over 3 hours one way, which is much too far to use as a base. You are so much better off just paying a bit more money to stay someplace within 20-30 miles to Glacier; it's not worth the long drive to stay somewhere far away. Driving near dawn/dusk and after dark can be dangerous due to wildlife on the road so the last thing you will want is a hour+ drive back to your hotel after you're already tired from a long day touring.

I suggest you spend some time with a map and an online mileage distance calculator because you seem to not be aware of how far apart everything is in Montana and the actual distances involved between places. Keep in mind that many of the highways you will be driving are 2 lane, curvy in places, and will be crowded in the summer so you won't be able to go much over 55 a lot of the time. Sometimes you won't even be able to go that fast.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:43 PM

186 posts, read 255,393 times
We were driving through Glacier and had been camping in the National Forest, which is a much easier way to find a place to stay for the night. We wanted a hotel SO BAD this one night, and everything all the way to Kalispell, and to Hot Springs was booked on the west side of the park. What we did was stop at a gas station, and get the phone book. We called and called and called, until we found one place, right in Columbia Falls, with a room and shower. It was a dump, and I won't name names, but this tactic works. A KOA might be a good option if you have a tent, which you can rent as well. They have showers, and food is usually close by. But yea, hotels may be booked solid.

As for the mustang, you will be blown away by the views with the top down, driving over Going-To-The-Sun road. As for grizzlies... I don't know, but your best chance would probably be in the north east section, or the northwest section out by Polebridge. Too many people elsewhere.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:24 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,256,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62mike View Post
It looks like the cheapest city to the park to fly into is Bozeman in July. I saw there is not an abundant amount of hotels in the park and like on most National Parks they are expensive. Are there any towns just outside the park lets say maybe 30 minutes away you could drive to and stay that was cheaper and had more availability?

We really hate to pick one place to stay or two and have to book ahead of time as we like to be sporadic and stay as long or brief as we like but I know that is tough in the more rural park sites.

Also, we are ok going into Canada for hotels if the northern end of the park is worth the travel into Canada. I am just looking for some general information and suggestions please.

Could we possibly see any grizzlies that time of year by the way?

Thanks for any suggestions.

We dont normally spend a lot for a rental but did see they had some Mustang convertibles I thought seeing the park in this fashion might be worth the extra money?

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
There are motels in Hungry Horse, Martin City, and Coram.
There are a couple between Coram and West Glacier, IIRC.
There are motels in Columbia Falls, Columbia Heights, Evergreen, Kalispell, and Whitefish.
There are motels in West Glacier, and on U.S. Hwy 2 between West Glacier and Marias Pass.
There are KOA Kampgrounds with Kamping Kabins in the area.
Couple of things I forgot to respond to in my other post to you. Don't stay in Canada just to visit Glacier; it's not that close and you'll waste additional time driving back and forth across the border each day. See Redraven's post above, these are the only towns you'll want to look at for lodging. If you get started searching now you'll be able to find something in one of these places.

Theoretically you can see Grizzlies at any time during the spring, summer and fall but realistically it's not that likely you will see them close to the road. Just about the only people I know of who have seen Grizzlies in Glacier saw them hiking in the back country. Even if you do some hiking, your odds of seeing them aren't high, but maybe you'll get lucky. I visited Glacier once a year for 20 years while I lived in Montana and I never saw a bear in Glacier. My family has visited at least once a year for 40 years and they've only seen bears maybe 5 times in all those years and only while hiking in the back-country away from the crowds.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:25 PM

347 posts, read 452,545 times
Cut Bank isn't far from Glacier National Park. It shouldn't be a problem getting a room there.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:06 PM

138 posts, read 148,230 times
I stayed in Kalispell when I visited Glacier last year. It's not close, but it wasn't horrible either. I'd stay in Kalispell again before I stayed in Browning.

But like everyone else says, it's absolutely the furthest away you'd want to stay the night when visiting Glacier.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:09 AM

113 posts, read 147,270 times
Yeah- because a 35 minute drive may kill you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana