Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 4,681 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently reside in GA and my company may possibly relocate me to MT. My job would require me to basically cover most of western MT. I have been told the main places I need to spend my time in are Great Falls, Missoula, and Kalispell. Missoula seems to be in the middle of everywhere I need to be. I have never been to MT and want to know where I can live that's not necessarily in a big city, but close enough to access the covieniences.

If this happens it will probably require me to move fairly quickly. I will have to rent at first unless my house miraculously sells fast. So as far as finding a place to rent that is in a safe area, yet not in the middle of a city rat-race I would love some suggestions.

Also, I will have to find a place that is dog friendly.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 10:07 PM

113 posts, read 166,198 times
You may want to consider living in kalispell and drive to GF or Missoula when you have to. This is what I'd recommend to any of my family or friends. Kalispell is smaller than GF or Missoula and has all ofthe convenience. Less congestion and all around a better place to live! Im biased, because I live in Kalispell. But seriously, its much better.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:50 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 406FIRE309 View Post
You may want to consider living in kalispell and drive to GF or Missoula when you have to. This is what I'd recommend to any of my family or friends. Kalispell is smaller than GF or Missoula and has all ofthe convenience. Less congestion and all around a better place to live! Im biased, because I live in Kalispell. But seriously, its much better.
I'd choose Kalispell, too, out of the three--but not if the OP's job will take him to Great Falls on a regular basis. Driving from K all the way down to I-90, and then taking 12 over to I-15 up to GF, that is a long trip. I haven't traveled from Kalispell to GF across Glacier, butI can figure out that it could only be a summer option. I'd vote for Stevensville (Sassa: small town just south of Missoula on 93), and then do the business trips to K and GF as the job requires. Dog-friendly rentals can be hard to find, though, especially in smaller towns.

But what a great adventure! Sassa, welcome to the forum, and congrats on having possibly landed such an opportunity. Best of luck!

Old 06-21-2015, 10:29 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I'd choose Kalispell, too, out of the three--but not if the OP's job will take him to Great Falls on a regular basis. Driving from K all the way down to I-90, and then taking 12 over to I-15 up to GF, that is a long trip. I haven't traveled from Kalispell to GF across Glacier, butI can figure out that it could only be a summer option. I'd vote for Stevensville (Sassa: small town just south of Missoula on 93), and then do the business trips to K and GF as the job requires. Dog-friendly rentals can be hard to find, though, especially in smaller towns.

But what a great adventure! Sassa, welcome to the forum, and congrats on having possibly landed such an opportunity. Best of luck!
He could just take Hwy 2 and I-15 between Kalispell and Great Falls. It's not something I'd want to do on a regular basis but trying to cover Missoula, Kalispell and Great Falls will be tricky no matter where he sets up shop.

There really aren't too many great smaller towns between the three cities. Maybe you could look into Polson or Lincoln.

What do you consider "big city"? I love Missoula and that would be my top choice. It's a small town by the majority of the nations' opinion but Montanans will call it a traffic-jammed big city. So it's all relative. Kalispell is pretty but I've always gotten a "edge of the earth" feeling there which I didn't care for. It's all in what you want out of a town.

I lived in Helena and that was as centerally located in Western Montana as you can get. It was nice to be able to get to most towns in a few hours. I'd say it would be a great option to cover your territory unless you'd have to leave every single day and that just wouldn't be practical.

I apologize if I should be using she instead of he.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:40 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassa777 View Post
Hello,

I currently reside in GA and my company may possibly relocate me to MT. My job would require me to basically cover most of western MT. I have been told the main places I need to spend my time in are Great Falls, Missoula, and Kalispell. Missoula seems to be in the middle of everywhere I need to be. I have never been to MT and want to know where I can live that's not necessarily in a big city, but close enough to access the covieniences.

If this happens it will probably require me to move fairly quickly. I will have to rent at first unless my house miraculously sells fast. So as far as finding a place to rent that is in a safe area, yet not in the middle of a city rat-race I would love some suggestions.

Also, I will have to find a place that is dog friendly.

Thanks in advance.
None of these places are going to have the big city rat race. These cities are all less that 100,000 people. Also, you are probably not going to end up anywhere that is very unsafe. While there are undesirable places in any city, these aren't major metro areas with a ghetto.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,681 times
Thank you all for the tips.

I have heard all great things about both Kalispell and Missoula. I was told that my would-be co-worker lives in Helena and does more driving than if I chose to live in the Missoula area...but it shouldn't be that bad since generally we take about 2 weeks to try and hit all of our areas. I assume I would at least travel to each of the 3 weekly since I was told those are the bulk of the business.

I am relieved to hear there really isn't a rat race to worry about...I am use to Atlana type traffic and congestion everywhere on a daily basis and I hate it. I like people, but I don't want 100 of them all around me all the time. That is what I mean by big city rat race...ugh.

No offense on using he, even though I am a she lol...I never specified.

So dog friendly is usually hard to find, but they (only 2) are not negotiable. Is it possible to find someone who maybe rents a cabin on their property to rent from?

I understand why it's hard with dogs, as a homeowner, I would not want the typical pet person renting from me....but I am beyond responsible and they are very well trained.

From looking at maps, is it safe to assume that if I live somewhere in the middle of Great Falls, Missoula, and Kalispel could I get to each areas in 2 1/2 hours or less?

Truth be known even if this opportunity doesn't happen, I've been wanting to be out there for most of my life so I am excited and scared to death at the same time!

Old 06-21-2015, 07:02 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
I used to live in Columbia Falls, and my Navy Reserve drill site was in Great Falls.
Every month, I drove MT Hwy 83 down the Swan Valley to Clearwater Junction, then MT Hwy 200 through Lincoln, over Rogers Pass to Vaughn, then I-15 to Great Falls.
Yes, in the winter you MUST have real high-traction snow tires, and you MUST carry tire chains in your vehicle (I never put them on, but you have to have them.) An ALL Wheel Drive vehicle such as a Subaru Outback or Forester is a definite plus!
Yes, U.S. Hwy 2 over Marias Pass to Shelby, then I-15 to Great Falls is easy, and not all that much farther. Actually, you could take U.S. Hwy 89 from Browning to Vaughn, then I-15 to GF, and save a few miles and some time
U.S. Hwy 93 to Missoula, then I-90 to Butte and I-15 to Great Falls is doable, also, but IMO foolish.
I grew up in Hungry Horse, and lived in Columbia Falls for many years. I would not live anywhere in the Flathead Valley these days. It has changed incredibly since I left in 1982.
However, for somebody who does not remember it the was it was, I guess it would be just fine.
Finding a pet-friendly rental anywhere in Montana (or anywhere else, from what I have seen) can be very difficult. Yes, there are some, but they are few and far between, sadly enough.
Good luck.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:53 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Kalispell is the best of the 3 for scenery, the people are great, Great Falls is a nice place, very different from west of the divide, but it would probably be easier to find a rental that takes animals there, and at a better price.
Helena is a good central location, a rental that takes animals in the valley shouldn't be too hard to find if you have references and put down a damage deposit.

Missoula, I wouldn't reccomend. College town, rentals will be high, difficult to find a place that takes animals, inversions in the winter, not a place I would send someone trying to get away from traffic congestion.

Most Montana roads are well maintained in the winter, but in the middle of a blizzard or high winds, or even when there is snowpack or black ice on the highway, you have to have a good vehicle with good tires and chains to be able to navigate safely.

There are some driving courses available that teach people how to drive on snow and ice, I reccomend you find one and take it before you have to use those skills.

If you're going to be on the roads a lot, it's just a good investment in your safety.

Good Luck!

Old 06-22-2015, 10:37 AM

203 posts, read 496,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassa777 View Post
Thank you all for the tips.

I have heard all great things about both Kalispell and Missoula. I was told that my would-be co-worker lives in Helena and does more driving than if I chose to live in the Missoula area...but it shouldn't be that bad since generally we take about 2 weeks to try and hit all of our areas. I assume I would at least travel to each of the 3 weekly since I was told those are the bulk of the business.

I am relieved to hear there really isn't a rat race to worry about...I am use to Atlana type traffic and congestion everywhere on a daily basis and I hate it. I like people, but I don't want 100 of them all around me all the time. That is what I mean by big city rat race...ugh.

No offense on using he, even though I am a she lol...I never specified.

So dog friendly is usually hard to find, but they (only 2) are not negotiable. Is it possible to find someone who maybe rents a cabin on their property to rent from?

I understand why it's hard with dogs, as a homeowner, I would not want the typical pet person renting from me....but I am beyond responsible and they are very well trained.

From looking at maps, is it safe to assume that if I live somewhere in the middle of Great Falls, Missoula, and Kalispel could I get to each areas in 2 1/2 hours or less?

Truth be known even if this opportunity doesn't happen, I've been wanting to be out there for most of my life so I am excited and scared to death at the same time!

Missoula has a lot of "dog friendly," Apartments. Also consider road conditions in the winter. Montana does a great job, however you will face travel issues in between the towns.

I lived outside of Stone Mountain, GA. Missoula, has the culture of Piedmont Park, Little Five Points, and Atlanta's night life, just much smaller. I think you might like it. I sure do. Montana as a whole, is dog friendly, but you face breed discrimination. Some Apartments will list "aggressive," breeds that they do not allow. As with anywhere, there are morons.

Not really a town with traffic issues you or I are used to. But to cross rivers, you will need a bridge, so it can slow down. One time I had to sit in traffic a whole 10 minutes. As I listened to people complain I laughed, In Philadelphia, I have been stuck in traffic for hours...lol

Good Luck!

Old 06-22-2015, 03:44 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Coming from amenities such as you are, I think you would prefer Missoula over the other two. Plus air connections are considerably better out of Missoula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana