Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,137 times

Advertisements

can any one tell me more about this place as im not from the usa but have an interest in movin there.jobs,accommadation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2006, 07:11 PM

Location: Gillette, WY, Layton, UT, Alameda, CA, Fairfield, CA, Fort Collins, CO, Denver, CO, Chandler, AZ
31 posts, read 150,512 times
Default Sorry, but

I would think twice before moving there. I lived on the Air Force base north of Glasgow when I was young and I tell you horrid winter weather stories to this day and I getting pretty **** old. Unless you are coming from Canada then it might be a banana belt for ya.

Wildman

Old 07-09-2006, 10:22 PM

9 posts, read 89,730 times
Red face I grew up south of Wolf Point (on a farm)

I've never heard of anyone moving to Wolf Point :-)

It is on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. It is a very small, friendly town but the economy is nearly non-existant. I remember in high school there were always new teachers because of the loan forgiveness benefits for teachers to come and teach.

What is your profession? I would recommend living near Wolf Point rather than right on the reservation unless you are Indian and would benefit from living there (not having to register your car, etc.)

I am moving back to Montana after being in New York for 19 years. I will be going to Lewistown August 2007.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Torri

Old 07-09-2006, 10:27 PM

9 posts, read 89,730 times
Red face The winters have changed

When I was growing up we had snow to the rafters ... my dad would make a trail through the drifts with the tractor to the chicken house and it was over our heads on each side ... like a snow maze.

They don't get that kind of winter any more (just like in NY where I am now ... not nearly as much snow). They actually have a lot of drought ... The winters are hot but not humid (which I love) and the winters are cold but not tons of snow in the plains. The moutains still do a pretty good ski business from what I understand.

Tourism is the biggest seller ... I've thought about doing the dude ranch thing ... or bed and breakfast. I've also considered beef-alo.

Torri

Old 05-26-2007, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,020 times
Default Wolf Point Rural is GREAT!! But needs upscale restaurant.

Having lived and worked in Los Angeles, Redding, CA; Seattle/Everett, WA; Stamford, CT; and Dallas, TX-----all of which were great places for a while---my husband and I moved to Wolf Point to help out with my mom. 15 years later we are still here----living on acreage of our own, amidst the quiet company of horses, llamas, dogs, cats, one calf and one steer. The bird life here is terrific!! Lots of sunshine---and milder winters than when I grew up here.
Most of the newcomers live on ranchettes, not in town, so although the town census is not growing, the area is. Schools are good and include a good community college. Sports are big here, especially basketball and baseball----golf and horse events. Lake and Missouri River fishing is good, too.
The only thing I miss about city life is the variety of restaurants. We really need a creative restaurant---even on a partial week basis.
The biggest city is 200 miles north, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada---great food there!

CM

Old 06-02-2007, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,972 times
Cool Wolf Creek

Hey:
Thanks for all the great information on Wolf Creek. I am thinking of taking a job there for the next year or so. If anybody can tell me about housing options (kids, husband, dogs and cat) I would appreciate it. How is the high school?
Thanks
Karla

karsmoon@msn.com

Old 06-02-2007, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,972 times
any housing ideas? How are the schools? What do you do there for fun after being in NY? can the town support a good resturant? How does Italian sound to you?

Old 06-04-2007, 10:32 PM

373 posts, read 1,852,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richm View Post
can any one tell me more about this place as im not from the usa but have an interest in movin there.jobs,accommadation
I think you might like Glasgow better. It's got a little more pizzazz and is got a bit better school system. It's also not on the reservation.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,944 times
Are you thinking Wolf Point in NE MT or Wolf Creek which is the the mountains near Helena?

Let me ask you this? Are you a positive thinker or a negative thinker? I lived in Wolf Point which is on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation for 7 years. As an adult, I loved it there. They have a quality "country" school for grades K-8 called Frontier Elementary but you must live in the proper school district. We moved when our oldest hit high school. Not that the whole school was bad but at that time (1998) there were serious issues there. As I said, I loved living there I still have many close friends residing there. I would visit the area before you make any serious decisions.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:23 PM

339 posts, read 1,166,524 times
Visiting Montana last summer I drove through Wolf Point. I was amazed how it has shriveled up. I talked to a few people who say it is alot rougher than it used to be (it was always rough - but I guess it could have gone down hill further).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana