Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,525 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Montana but I don't know which city to live in, I'll probably take a flight and vacation for a week.

First things first, what should I know before moving to Montana? I'm an artist and a slight recluse. I like hip environments. What city do you guys suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 12:26 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodkuh View Post
I want to move to Montana but I don't know which city to live in, I'll probably take a flight and vacation for a week.

First things first, what should I know before moving to Montana? I'm an artist and a slight recluse. I like hip environments. What city do you guys suggest?

Missoula

Old 07-15-2016, 02:33 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Probably Missoula. Look for a place up one of the near in canyons.

Other options- Livingston and Whitefish.

More info about your interests, budget, etc. could maybe help get more and better responses. What size city do you prefer to be in or near?

Old 07-15-2016, 04:30 PM

I like a hip scene full of vibrant people, stores, foodies, theaters, outdoor attractions, my budget is just me. Anywhere cheap to rent in a safe area? I'm an artist/game designer. The quite recluse type.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:04 AM

387 posts, read 554,870 times
Yeah, I think Missoula is where hip would be. Livingston would not be a great choice - still very traditional compared to other places, and the downtown has been dying as well as most of their community and public events. That said, I absolutely love Livingston, but I also like dogs in the back of pick-up trucks and people in Wranglers.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:17 AM

I dress like a goth, black duster, dr marten boots, black pants, band t-shirts, fingerless gloves, backwards corps black hat, my nails are painted black. I hope people don't treat me weird.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:36 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
There might be a few blocks / bars in Missoula where such attire / vibe would not be that unusual. Everywhere else in the state, you'll stick out and get various reactions including, best case probably, ignored.

There is a real chance some will talk trash or confront you. It could get bad. I assume you have had some experience with that but Montana might react more than Virginia. Most will ignore or accept but it just takes one reacting negatively for a bad event.

Why do you want to live in Montana? You haven't said a word yet about outdoor activities or western culture. Based on what you've said I'd think parts of Seattle, WA, Portland or Eugene OR, or LA would be a better match and Montana generally a terrible match.

Livingston is traditional compared to other bigger, more hip places but it is a fair more hip than the typical small Montana town and I'd put it as the 3rd-5th most hip in the state for low level hipness. Not big city scenester goth "hip" of course.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-16-2016 at 02:01 PM..

Old 07-16-2016, 05:15 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
To be honest with you, you will have no competition for looking weird in most peoples eyes in Montana. It would be good to take some strong self protection courses before moving anywhere in Montana.

As NW Crow says, you will get a lot of trash talk, and that can accelerate to something more, and being a boxing or martial arts expert would be to your advantage when that happens if you are in a bar, etc. and some cowboy gets a couple of drinks under their belt.

Of course you may be looking for that type of action, and if you are, you will in most probabilities be accommodated.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:23 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
Yeah, I think Missoula is where hip would be. Livingston would not be a great choice - still very traditional compared to other places, and the downtown has been dying as well as most of their community and public events. That said, I absolutely love Livingston, but I also like dogs in the back of pick-up trucks and people in Wranglers.
I disagree. Livingston would be just fine. There is an art scene and a decent "traditional" population. The downtown isn't in that bad of shape and there are still plenty of community events.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:21 PM

387 posts, read 554,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I disagree. Livingston would be just fine. There is an art scene and a decent "traditional" population. The downtown isn't in that bad of shape and there are still plenty of community events.
Everyone is welcome to their own opinions, but I work there and live in Bozeman, and feel like I can compare places pretty well. There are community events, but they are much more seldom than in bigger places, and the make-up of people is pretty traditional. There has also been a lot of real estate vacant in town, and businesses going out of business.

Like I say, this doesn't bother me because I like Livingston (and mostly what is around it), but if I wanted to be somewhere with lots going on at night or on the weekends throughout the year, Livingston wouldn't be where I would choose. IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana