Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2016, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,454 times

Advertisements

My husband recently accepted a job in great falls mt. We would like to live in a smaller community that is no more than about 45 miles from great falls. From everything I read, it sounds like it is very windy in that area. Are there any communities near great falls that are in some sort of valley or some area that is a little less windy? We really don't like the wind much, and I realize that we are just going to have to get used to it, but hoping to find an area that perhaps has a little less wind to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 12:40 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
Average wind map:
http://apps2.eere.energy.gov/wind/wi...aps/mt_80m.jpg
Best way to reduce wind appears to be go south as far as you can along Smith River. Rural area, not a "small community" unless you are really comfortable with few services.

For small communities within 45 miles you are probably going to look at Belt and Cascade. Probably not much different than GF on wind. Choteau and Augusta are bigger, more interesting but further out and still windy.

Another reference by county http://www.usa.com/rank/montana-stat...ounty-rank.htm
On this chart Teton and Pondera Counties have lower wind but it may matter where you are within them.

Monarch is far out, very small but might have less wind (speculation).

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-16-2016 at 12:54 PM..

Old 10-16-2016, 03:28 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klee0824 View Post
My husband recently accepted a job in great falls mt. We would like to live in a smaller community that is no more than about 45 miles from great falls. From everything I read, it sounds like it is very windy in that area. Are there any communities near great falls that are in some sort of valley or some area that is a little less windy? We really don't like the wind much, and I realize that we are just going to have to get used to it, but hoping to find an area that perhaps has a little less wind to deal with.
I don't think you're going to find a place that matches those criteria. Not much of an escape from wind in that part of Montana.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:06 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klee0824 View Post
You don't want to be that far out in winter.

You might look down in town in Belt (tho be aware that road up out of town can be nasty in winter), or toward Sun River or generally south of town. Not north of town or up on Gore Hill or points west, and probably not immediately around Malmstrom. Watch out for floody areas SW of town in the low areas along the river.

The older residential parts of GtF are in a big shallow bowl and that area can get very little wind even if it's blowing to beat hell up on the flats near 10th. When I was a kid we lived about a mile east of GtF High School and very rarely got any wind. (Nice quiet neighborhood too.) Just a few blocks east got a lot more.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:35 PM

387 posts, read 555,073 times
If you look out towards Cascade (or as far as Craig), they are sheltered by the mountains as the river drops into the canyon. But, they are pretty far out from GF in the winter when you have to drive a lot slower on the highway. Beautiful places though, and the fishing in the summer in Craig (and the fall) is great.

I really think you need to rent when you first get there in Great Falls, and spend some time in the communities around there to see where you might be happy. People talk about the wind, but making a decision like this based on that criteria before you live there could end up being a mistake. If you meet some good people and find out that the school you like and the friends you make are all living in one area, and there turns out to be a cute house surrounded by farmstead trees from the early 20s, you might have missed that opportunity because you chose to live in a random community 45 minutes from town as the calculated wind speed was low.

I just mean, rent for a year, and see where you find out you like. I really like GF and they have loads of fun activities in and around town, so it wouldn't be a bad thing to be near town for the first year when you are meeting new people. Just a thought.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:45 AM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Second that -- when you rent, you're not married to the spot. And there's enough variety around GtF that you'll want time to sample it before you decide.

As a general rule, more wind equals fewer naturally-growing trees. If people are planting windrow treepatches, there's a reason.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:13 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,877,135 times
Short answer: If you don't like wind you won't find a place to live within your desired 45 miles of Great Falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana