U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 06:49 PM

14 posts, read 23,893 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Me, my wife, and a friend are planning on visiting Glacier National Park in March, and have been for months. However, we just looked on the National Park Service website and saw that a number of visitor centers won't be open until May or June, which really bummed me out because we were really looking forward to the trip. So, anyone in the Kalispell/Whitefish area, could we still have a great time in March, or should we think about looking elsewhere? TIA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 07:17 PM

5,403 posts, read 4,848,224 times
Glacier is a summer only park.

You can ski at Whitefish at Big Mountain in March. Grouse Mountain resort might have winter activities. You could check with them.

Yellowstone National Park has a winter season & is accessible via guided snow coaches and/or snowmobiles. The geysers look spectacular in the cold winter air.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:49 PM

151 posts, read 141,769 times
Glacier Park is open to Lake Mcdonald Lodge in the winter, although the Lodge itself is closed. Just on the other side of the border, Waterton is mostly open in the winter, however.

That said, this is a beautiful area in the winter. Great skiing at Big Mountain, as well as Nordic skiing and snowmobiling here in Whitefish.

If you want a more national park-oriented vacation, I'd suggest the Canadian Rockies parks (Banff, etc). They're mostly open in the winter and the snowy landscape is stunning.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:10 AM

5,518 posts, read 5,077,776 times
March? I'd look in the Utah or Arizona desert, unless you want / prefer a lot of snow activities. Hard to get in high country outside of ski lifts and helicopters unless you make a big effort and know what you are doing.

The Going to the Sun highway will have 20-40 feet of snow on most of it. They plow it out in late May / June / early July most years.

If you are intent on Montana in March, I'd probably stick to ski resorts or the big towns or maybe the Pryor Mountains / Bighorn Canyon (sw of Billings) if it is a low snow year and you can handle winter conditions.

Spring in the Rockies is generally May. Above 5-7,000 feet it is June.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-05-2016 at 10:40 AM..

Old 12-06-2016, 01:50 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,922,414 times
You may be able to book some snowmobile trip into Yellowstone in March lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or