Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,998 times

Advertisements

Hello
I am a software engineer by profession and I work mostly from a home office with travel to other states several times a month.

I have worked with companies located in Montana several times in the past and I have had the fortune to visit the State of Montana many times for work. I love the outdoors opportunities, the overall beauty of the State, the reasonable housing prices and the tax situation, and am seriously thinking about relocating there.

How would an ethnically Indian guy in his 40's (Naturalized US citizen living in the USA for 25 years) fare in cities like Great Falls, Helena, Butte or Bozeman? My wife (also ethnically Indian and a naturalized US citizen) is a social worker and would probably find at least part time work. No kids yet.

I would not have thought twice about moving to these cities a few years ago, but lately I am hearing more and more news about hostility towards brown/dark "foreigners" lately and wanted to know how tolerant people are in these cities/towns....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 05:32 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftwareGuru View Post
Hello
I am a software engineer by profession and I work mostly from a home office with travel to other states several times a month.

I have worked with companies located in Montana several times in the past and I have had the fortune to visit the State of Montana many times for work. I love the outdoors opportunities, the overall beauty of the State, the reasonable housing prices and the tax situation, and am seriously thinking about relocating there.

How would an ethnically Indian guy in his 40's (Naturalized US citizen living in the USA for 25 years) fare in cities like Great Falls, Helena, Butte or Bozeman? My wife (also ethnically Indian and a naturalized US citizen) is a social worker and would probably find at least part time work. No kids yet.

I would not have thought twice about moving to these cities a few years ago, but lately I am hearing more and more news about hostility towards brown/dark "foreigners" lately and wanted to know how tolerant people are in these cities/towns....
You should be just fine. Montana isn't diverse but I wouldn't worry.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:02 PM

35 posts, read 41,280 times
Billings, MT is a good city as well.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:33 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftwareGuru View Post
Hello

If you're serious, be aware that this last line is pure bull pucky. People here are judged more by who they are, how hard they work, how much they want to be part of the community not by pigmentation.
We don't want the terrorist relocation program brining people that hate us into our communities, but if they are vetted well and not brought in en-masse as was done in Germany, and if they want to assimilate into our culture, then there's no problem.

Big difference between legal immigrants, illegal aliens and terrorists hiding in masses of "refugees".

Old 03-16-2017, 09:20 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
I don't think you'd have a problem anywhere. I live in the area of the country and I know some Indian folks, they do quite well here and are very respected. I've had Indian colleagues since after college (I've been in the medical field) and most people around them have seen them as pretty cool cats.

The only problem I see is the towns you've mentioned. The only two you have listed that are remotely livable to sane people are Bozeman and Helena. I would add Missoula to your list. To be honest I haven't been around Helena much but it seems okay. Bozeman would have a lot of the outdoor activity you're looking for. Missoula is further west and closer to recreation in North Idaho and Flathead as well.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:53 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
If you're serious, be aware that this last line is pure bull pucky. People here are judged more by who they are, how hard they work, how much they want to be part of the community not by pigmentation.
We don't want the terrorist relocation program brining people that hate us into our communities, but if they are vetted well and not brought in en-masse as was done in Germany, and if they want to assimilate into our culture, then there's no problem.

Big difference between legal immigrants, illegal aliens and terrorists hiding in masses of "refugees".
My sentiments exactly!
I also agree that Billings is a nice town. Of course, I would agree, I live quite close to the town!

Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 AM

910 posts, read 1,081,380 times
Your skin color won't cause you any problems. There is a very large population of brown people living in this state already, we have a very large native American population here. I have seen quite of few Indian couples at the grocery store. They appear to be practicing Hindus based on their attire and the presence of a Bindi. I hope I am using that term correctly. I live in the Helena area. So just based on my own observations around town, you should be able to find other immigrants culturally similar to you.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:02 AM

14 posts, read 15,239 times
Go for it!

Old 03-20-2017, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,932 times
Default tracerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
I don't think you'd have a problem anywhere. I live in the area of the country and I know some Indian folks, they do quite well here and are very respected. I've had Indian colleagues since after college (I've been in the medical field) and most people around them have seen them as pretty cool cats.

The only problem I see is the towns you've mentioned. The only two you have listed that are remotely livable to sane people are Bozeman and Helena. I would add Missoula to your list. To be honest I haven't been around Helena much but it seems okay. Bozeman would have a lot of the outdoor activity you're looking for. Missoula is further west and closer to recreation in North Idaho and Flathead as well.

Hi. Considering moving to GF. Why do you not include great falls in sane places to live?

Old 03-20-2017, 12:53 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceRider View Post
Hi. Considering moving to GF. Why do you not include great falls in sane places to live?

Windy and cold winters. No scenery, very little culture. I guess if I had a great job offer there I could hack it, but it would have to be a big pay increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana