Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 01:10 AM

24 posts, read 46,501 times

Advertisements

NW Crow: Thank you! I appreciate the info.

NDak15: They do seem nice! The Helena area looks like a great option!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 06:20 PM

Does anyone else have anything at all about my original post that they'd like to share? Any kind input is welcome

Old 03-13-2017, 11:33 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Well, if you like museums, Helena does have the State Historical Society.

There is the granstreet theatre which has locally done plays and such, and there is the Helena Symphony Orchestra too.
Several nurseries and greenhouses as well as flower stores, several bakeries too. The latest one is the Dirty Dozen which mostly specializes in yuppie doughnuts.

There are usually music venues passing through, some are pretty good. We had Beau Solile a couple years ago and they really rocked the house.

You would probably like symphony under the stars in the summer, and alive at 5 which is kind of a weekly street fair with vendors and music.

Lots of that kind of stuff going on all the time.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:27 PM

MTSilvertip: Well now I'm pretty much sold on Helena. I knew about the museum and Symphony Under the Stars (went a few years back but got a bad spot and everyone talked through the entire thing, but I still love the idea of it) but had no idea it had so many things I was looking for! Thank you so much for letting me know!

Old 03-13-2017, 04:06 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Clancy is one of the more expensive Helena suburbs. Boulder and Townsend being farthest out may be the cheapest on average. But it comes down to what money will buy / rent, not averages.

Helena is a bit less sunny over the year than eastern Montana. If sunshine quantity is very important, you might continue to look outside Billings or maybe in WY or CO (or even Rapid City / Spearfish SD? These SD towns beat Billings by 20 more sunny days per year. Billings beats Helena by about 20 as well).

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-13-2017 at 04:21 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 10:03 PM

NW Crow: I was looking at the Townsend area and it looks pretty good price wise!

Sunshine is pretty important though, so I'll have to look into those areas. Wyoming might be nice!

Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
In Wyoming Cody and Sheridan have community theater groups. (The other big towns might too.) Sheridan at first glance might be more active / upscale, in touch with professionals. Rich patrons help. http://sheridanstage.com/about-ctg/

4 Frisbee golf courses near Sheridan. https://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/Wyoming
Didn't see any listed for Cody. Sunny day level around Billings level or a little higher. Sunnier as you go further south and get away from the cloud track that comes out of Pacific Northwest and Canada.

Sheridan is kinda a tight housing market. A little cheaper on average than Helena but a wide range from modest to nice to fancy & very fancy in the area. Sometimes rated one of nicest western towns of its size. Old west and some new west.

Cody gets half the snow and a ton more tourists (which creates jobs and some hassle).

Townsend is a pretty good combo on small town MT, near enough to the city- if you don't mind driving that much. Mountains and a big lake to west. More hills to east. Lots of open, dry land to south. That part might remind of eastern MT. Near the trees in some directions but not so much in them (except in town / planted or on the west side of the lake).

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-13-2017 at 11:14 PM..

Old 03-14-2017, 10:03 AM

910 posts, read 1,082,773 times
I would also like to recommend Helena. My family just purchased a home in East Helena. There is plenty of affordable real estate for sale in the Helena area. Check out Realtor.com. You can find homes from 150k and up. Everyone pretty much covered what Helena has to offer. It has petty much everything you want. I would like to add about the schools, Helena does have problems with some schools being at capacity, but Boulder/Montana City/Clancy has it's own school system which doesn't have this problem. The same with Townsend. East Helena, although part of the Lewis and Clark County School system, has it's own separate Elementary and Middle School, with plans for a High School as soon as the state law is amended to allow it(hopefully this year).

Old 03-14-2017, 08:06 PM

NW Crow: Wow, you did all my major research for me! Thank you! I had briefly looked into Cody but never Sheridan, and now that I see their housing market it's reasonable! Also good to know the basics about Townsend. We don't mind driving, especially since it's only about a half hour to the city on good roads.

ericsvibe: Thank you for contributing! I was wondering about the schools, so that's good to know! I hope you continue to enjoy living there The Helena area is looking very inviting!

Old 03-15-2017, 08:12 PM

For anyone familiar with the Helena/Townsend area I have another question. My husband and I love a good thunderstorm and since we've never lived in any mountainous area we were wondering if the area gets many good summer storms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana