Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 07:55 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,609,454 times

Advertisements

Arguing w/ a bud here in AZ, & he says they're all 3 are very demo/liberal turf. True?

I know Eureka, Troy, Libby & that whole county are Repubs still, & so conservative partriots up there -- but what of the 1st 3 places I mentioned?

TY you locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 08:28 PM

507 posts, read 661,522 times
Shelby....liberal? (Laughing) I know a few Shelby/Conrad/Valier guys and none of em are
even close to liberal. I don't think even the railroad guys up there vote liberal. Now, Cut
Bank is a different story. I'd say "conservative patriots" describes Toole County fairly well.

MT guys will tell ya that Flathead is mostly a conservative turf as well, although you have
some pockets of libbies in Whitefish and a few in Kalispell. Bigfork is even more Republican.

Stats for your buddy: 2016 Pres Election: Toole County (Shelby) Trump 74%. Pondera
County (Conrad) Trump 66%. Flathead County (Kalispell) Trump by 65%. All 3 counties also
went for Gianforte (R) over Bullock (D) in the governor race, which Bullock won. Then they
all went for Gianforte in the special election for the US House seat which Gianforte won.

Last edited by Wyoprairie; 06-27-2017 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: add stats

Old 06-27-2017, 08:38 PM

60 posts, read 62,240 times
Only liberals i ever meet in Montana are the California transplants on the western side and the Reservations

Old 06-27-2017, 09:21 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Very few places in Montana would classify as liberals, even the Crow tribe endorsed the Republican candidate in the special election.

Montana is more libertarian than either conservative or liberal, but there are some pockets, usually areas around the universities, (Missoula, Bozeman), the Gulch in Helena, or areas with a lot of transplants that are liberal. Outside city limits, it's easy to classify as conservative, but it's more a case of "you do your thing, I'll do mine".

Most of the high-line east of the divide is pretty traditional, hard working people, they're too busy making a living to waste too much time on politics outside of local elections, but they're pretty savvy about what's going on, it's just that it's a long ways away.

Kalispell is definitely hard core conservative territory.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:35 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Arguing w/ a bud here in AZ, & he says they're all 3 are very demo/liberal turf. True?

I know Eureka, Troy, Libby & that whole county are Repubs still, & so conservative partriots up there -- but what of the 1st 3 places I mentioned?

TY you locals.
Shelby no, and while Kalispell has some, it's far from it as a whole. The city of Missoula yes. West of the Divide in Montana is extremely red as a whole.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:05 AM

745 posts, read 1,284,252 times
I've lived in Kalispell for two years. I don't get the sense people are liberal. It's more a healthy traditional party mix with a libertarian vibe (or independent spirit). There are a lot of churches here. There's only one coffee shop where you can find more than half dozen man-buns and hipsters. Whitefish, 20 minutes north, is very liberal to the point where you might soon have to pay a fine for being white.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:43 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
Whitefish, 20 minutes north, is very liberal to the point where you might soon have to pay a fine for being white.
That was funny. That definitely made my day!

Old 06-28-2017, 01:29 PM

347 posts, read 521,233 times
Anyone who says or thinks Shelby is liberal is nuts, stupid, or deluded. Seriously, anyone who says Shelby is liberal doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:33 PM

17 posts, read 37,190 times
Is shelby even a town? lol haha Don't blink twice, you'd miss it. Would never live there, liberal or conservative. Now CUT BANK, that's different!

Last edited by ilovecb; 06-28-2017 at 11:44 PM..

Old 06-29-2017, 10:33 AM

672 posts, read 502,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post

TY you locals.
The Flathead Valley is a hotbed of Republicans while Missoula County is very Liberal (Way more then Flathead) thanks to UM. Kalispell has more Republican (70%) than Democrats. Though there are pockets of Democrats throughout the Valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana