U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:18 AM

22,973 posts, read 25,049,350 times

Advertisements

I understand the quality thing, we hired a plumber from 50 miles away because he stressed quality over speed. He refused to install Pex and will only install copper due to his belief that it is superior and doesn't fail as often. He did a fantastic job and stands behind his work which is rare here.
Good luck with whatever you choose!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 10:44 AM

7,945 posts, read 13,950,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHighland View Post
There are plenty of plumbers around but I would have to say no.......
He has only one employee because he can't find quality workers around here.
Don't forget that we do live in California. They like to slap houses together and install plastic pipe. My husband is an old fashioned kind of guy. All of his business is by word of mouth and he keeps his client list in a notebook. LOL!
He remembers all of their names and adresses and doesn't charge old ladies for clearing their sink stoppages which only takes 10 minutes.
Where are you located? I'm in SoCal myself but grew up in Montana. Yes, it's a different world. CA used to be okay but in the past few years has gone downhill on a sled, and I'm trying to get moved back to MT and away from the madness.

Someone who puts customers first can usually find work anywhere -- it might not be billable at CA rates but word gets around fast. And his business can't be THAT large if it fits in a notebook! busy for a one-man band, yeah, but not for a multi-employee shop.

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide....

Old 04-02-2008, 04:46 PM

9 posts, read 30,914 times
[quote=Reziac;3331550]. And his business can't be THAT large if it fits in a notebook! busy for a one-man band, yeah, but not for a multi-employee shop. quote]
I suppose that came out wrong.
Every call that comes in he writes their name and info in a notebook and then crosses it out when he's done the job. He's got hundreds of notebooks.
We live in Livermore. (Tri-Valley area) It used to be a nice small cowtown. Rodeos,brandings or a day up in the hills on the weekends.So many of our family and friends are selling off their land because they have to. They can't afford to live and work here anymore. (I can relate to your Montana woes)Nowadays the've turned it into an art, theater, golf and wine country. It's not all bad (I'm a photographer so I don't mind art shows and such) but it's brought a lot of snobby people, more housing, same number of schools (overcrowding)
My husband makes the big portion on custom homes. He's got three going at one time right now. Doesn't have any time for repair work.
Anyway, thanks again guys. Much appreciated.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:41 PM

Ah, I see. Well, new installs might be sporadic in MT, tho repairs go on forever.

My sister lives right up the road in Pleasanton (who'd want to live in Unpleasanton?!) ... used to be a livestock area, yep, but now... lordy, I hate it up there; it's a wall-to-wall yuppie festival. And I don't know how anyone pays for housing there -- who makes that kind of money, even in California?!

Old 04-02-2008, 06:44 PM

22,973 posts, read 25,049,350 times
I like livermore, would love to go back to CA since all my family lives in the bay area. I'd trade you but I can't afford to live there anymore either...

Old 04-02-2008, 11:27 PM

9 posts, read 30,914 times
How would you like a $3,000 house payment?
We'd love to own some property out here but that's fairly impossible.
A lot of the families that used to have land have been slowly selling to developers because they can no longer afford to live in the Bay Area. Along with the big winery and art scene the cost of living has gone up. Everything from milk to binder paper is so much more now than it was a short 5 years ago. All the fancy big name chain stores are taking over while the mom and pop shops suffer to the point of closing under backruptcy. Especially if you've lived here all your life watching the change from rolling hills to housing developments is truly hard to take.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHighland View Post
All the fancy big name chain stores are taking over while the mom and pop shops suffer to the point of closing under backruptcy. Especially if you've lived here all your life watching the change from rolling hills to housing developments is truly hard to take.
Same thing is happening here in the high desert, between L.A. and Bakersfield -- this area used to be rural and almost empty, now the beautiful desert (and remaining farmland) is being built over at a frightening rate. A slow-moving community of 30,000 is now a yuppie bedroomville of half a million, and that only took TEN YEARS. Housing costs have skyrocketed, malls have overwhelmed local business, yet there are no local jobs other than part-time retail or service industries (if you can compete with the illegal aliens).

When I look at the satellite views of Montana, I see California's development mania in microcosm... it's not as bad yet, but it's getting there. And for anyone who loves or needs a rural lifestyle, it's a disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana