Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:40 PM

9 posts, read 33,775 times

Advertisements

I have lived here most of my life. Family is the only thing that keeps us here. I've had enough of the rush, the traffic, the people, the crime, the people. (I know I already said that) We have considered for some time now moving to a mountain state and of course Montana would be one of the options.
I am an at home mom of 3 girls who are avid 4-H kids. We all hunt, fish, ski and love to boat. A lake community that's also close to the mountains would be ideal. I suppose that's where I came across Kalispell. I've been reading through the Montana posts and I can fully understand the frustrations of Californians moving in and reaking havok! What a bunch of morons.
Imagine what it's like to live with these folks on a daily basis! You should all feel luck to only have to deal with a handful of them. LOL!
Now that I've written a novel here's my question..........
My husband is a Plumber by trade. He owns his own company here and is fairly succesful. I am aware that he would not be likely to make the same amount of money there (small town) as he does here.
Are the construction trades busy through out the year in a snowy state?
Do many people commute to bigger towns for such jobs? (I guess you can't if your snowed in)
I would appreciate any information
Thanks ahead of time.
Leah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 06:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Well, they're killing for experienced plumbers here and since he's probably a master plumber It'd be relatively easy for him to start his own company here. The owners of those companies do make some nice money, we've got a cousin who did just that and has 4 employees after about 6 months. Take a look around Columbia Falls for a suggestion. Construction has been going all winter here especially for plumbers and electricians since it's mostly inside work. They're just about to start a new "mall" that'll go for at least the next year or two just for first phase.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was just looking in the Kalispell yellow pages and saw a lot of plumbing contractors. I was thinking maybe the opposite of what you said.
I'm glad I'm wrong. I was thrilled to read in one post that 4-H is really big out there. No suprise, but am happy to hear it. My kids raise swine, yep.....them smelly old pigs. You gotta love them.
I'm a little leary about announcing that were Californians after reading more posts. Dang......you guys have had it rough with some really jerky jerk-offs out there.
I'm kind of thinking that if a newcomer get's involved in the community, 4-H, sports, school volunterring etc. and doesn't try to change the way of life in their new town..........do you think they'd be more accepted? I don't know.......
Small town, a little bit of land to raise some animals and decent kids, beautiful scenery, big bucks on your wall and fish in your tummy, and I just love the fact that ATV's are a common sight around town. So funny. I'd give my right arm to drive an 4 wheeler down my local fancy smancy upity downtown.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:22 AM

FFA is big here as well as 4H. While there might be several plumbing contractors in the book most are one or two person shops. The best way to survive here is not to work for someone else. I know the reason our cousin went out on his own was he decided that he was tired of being paid $12 an hour and being billed out at $65. He thought it was a little unfair...

Old 04-01-2008, 08:26 AM

As a contractor in a new state wouldn't he have to take the licence board test there in Montana? He currently makes $80 an hour. I have a feeling that he wouldn't make that on his own there. I've heard that cost of living is less out your way......
I can't help but think that if we can make a living here in California where everything costs so much$$$$$ we could certainly manage in a smaller town out of state.
We are definately ready to change our style of living.
Thanks Jimj for your response and information.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:04 PM

I don't think so, I think you can transfer it but maybe a google on the license board to check the regs? I'm sure the license in CA is more strict than here... I believe they are charging 65-75 per hour here for plumbers as well.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:17 PM

Sweet music to my ears. I'll go check on the board rules.
Thanks again jimj.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:04 PM

OK so more serious talk with my husband on this subject is making him really nervous.
He has been working on his own here for more than 10 years and has a huge clientele base. His fear is that he might get a few jobs to get us by for awhile but not knowing anybody in town the work would not be steady for very long. I know it's a big step for anybody to take. I told him about the development happening and again asked, "What happens when the mall is built and there are no more new homes going in?"
And of course there's the fact that the whole reason for moving would be to be getting away from this crazy hub and here he would be helping to create a new crazy hub in a town that should stay small.
So now I'm terribly frustrated. I actually had some hope that I may one day get out of here but now I feel shut down. Apparently he likes to talk a lot about it but when it comes down to it he's not really serious. Darn him! We'll see.......

Old 04-01-2008, 10:32 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHighland View Post
OK so more serious talk with my husband on this subject is making him really nervous.
He has been working on his own here for more than 10 years and has a huge clientele base. His fear is that he might get a few jobs to get us by for awhile but not knowing anybody in town the work would not be steady for very long. I know it's a big step for anybody to take.
So don't *close up* your California shop, nor sell it outright. LEASE it to some other plumber -- surely he knows someone who is a good independent master plumber and would be willing to take on his client base and employees for a few years, without having to build it up himself. You take a cut (the lease payment for the business) and try out Montana, with a fallback position if it doesn't work out. If you have to come back to California, your business is still reasonably intact and you can step back into it.

Last edited by Reziac; 04-01-2008 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-02-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
surely he knows someone who is a good independent master plumber .
There are plenty of plumbers around but I would have to say no.......
He has only one employee because he can't find quality workers around here.
Don't forget that we do live in California. They like to slap houses together and install plastic pipe. My husband is an old fashioned kind of guy. All of his business is by word of mouth and he keeps his client list in a notebook. LOL!
He remembers all of their names and adresses and doesn't charge old ladies for clearing their sink stoppages which only takes 10 minutes.
Theres nobody around like him and theres no way he could trust another plumber to keep his "Quality not quanity" motto.
Thank you both for your responses and ideas. It sounds as if we'll have to win the lotto before we can get out of this @!#$ hole!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana