Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2019, 11:17 AM

21 posts, read 29,312 times

Advertisements

Good Morning everyone,

We will be flying to Billings at the end of the month, My lady has a job interview, and we are considering relocating if they offer her the position. We would like to try to find a decently affordable property thatll will allow us to keep our 2 horses, somewhere with in 30-45 minutes of Highway 90 and S Billings Blvd. As that is where her offer is near.

We have also considered renting, as long as we can have the dogs, and find affordable boarding for the horses near by.

She will have the job if they offer it, I will however need to find work. I currently work as a Ready Mix driver(5.5years, Clean CDL), I hold a Commercial Class B, with Air Breaks, Tanker, and Hazmat endorsements. I plan to check out Knife River and Fisher (I believe it was) while we are out there. But am open to other Local Class B commercial driver jobs as well, ie: Boom Pump, Propane Delivery, Waste Management. What are some of the options in or around the Billings area for me? If there are any I haven't thought of?

Thank you for any help or advise you can provide.

Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 10:22 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Well, you look kinda neglected, with your lonesome post here all by itself. You sound eminently useful for anywhere that needs a Class B, just a matter of hitting 'em when they're hiring. The finishing mill in Laurel has Help Wanted signs out regularly; dunno any specifics there. As Billings continues to grow I expect there's a lot of opportunity; stuff always needs hauling in and out.

Rural rentals are pretty scarce, but do occasionally surface -- trawl Craigslist and find a rural-oriented realtor (I can recommend Frosty Erben for that).

Old 04-20-2019, 01:44 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
I recommend that you forget the freeway (Interstate 90) and S. Billing blvd, and concentrate your property search in the Shepherd/Huntley/Worden area (Hwy 312), or Acton/Broadview (MT. Hwy 3). There are many 2 to 20 acre plots with homes in those areas.
While renting with horses is not impossible, renting with dogs can be difficult. Keep in mind that in this state if your dogs are allowed to run free, and they chase livestock and/or wild game, they might be shot!
There are also some places for sale along Hwy 87, between Billings and Roundup. Roundup is about 45 miles from Billings, across the Bull Mountains. Travel time can be 45 minutes to an hour or more, depending on weather/road conditions.
Come to think of it, the Blue Creek area (Billings Blvd, South of the Freeway and over the Yellowstone river) might be worth looking at. IIRC, property out there is pretty pricey, though.
While it probably does not need mentioned, watch out for CCRs and the HOAs that enforce them. Many developments these days in the 1 to 20 acre lot size have them.
Good luck in your search.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:03 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I recommend that you forget the freeway (Interstate 90) and S. Billing blvd, and concentrate your property search in the Shepherd/Huntley/Worden area (Hwy 312),
While renting with horses is not impossible, renting with dogs can be difficult. Keep in mind that in this state if your dogs are allowed to run free, and they chase livestock and/or wild game, they might be shot!

Not might - but will be shot! No one will rent if you have pit bulls - not for any amount of money.

I'd go to Roundup or Columbus

Old 04-27-2019, 12:04 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,523,752 times
Montana law prohibits dogs from harasssing livestock. This includes dogs on the other side of fence harassing. The county sheriff will enforce the law or the livestock owner can... this can include shooting the dog on the spot.

As owner of said dog you will be held liable for livestock losses & damages, including loss of future production from that animal(s).

There are also MT laws protecting wild game from harassment by dogs & specific regulations comcerning dogs & hunting.

Counties & towns may have additional dog regulations. Here is a collection of dog laws.

https://www.animallaw.info/statute/m...-dog-laws#s401

Old 07-14-2019, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,214 times
What is your timeline. We have a 4 bedroom 2 bath house with 2 acres and large shop/barn in Lockwood that we may have to rent out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana