U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:21 AM

148 posts, read 529,051 times

Advertisements

What are the major sports teams than most people from Montana cheer on? And what is the most popular sport in Montana? What is the closest pro sports team to Montana? I realize that in different parts of the state, there may be different cities closer. But just in general, what teams are the most popular?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 01:25 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,124,064 times
From what I gather, MT is a football state. Big on the Grizzlies. Pro football I was told the Seahawks for no reason other than proximity... #$%^&*

Although I'm moving to MT, Div 1AA, the Grizzlies I can handle. But for Div 1, Jim Tressel and the Bucks will always be in my heart ! Been following Jim since his Youngstown days... he was the best thing that could have ever happened to Ohio States football program. He is elevating that program to levels OSU has never seen.

But for pro ball I will always be a die hard Steelers fan no matter what. I like the Seahawks though, I really liked them in the superbowl a couple years ago . One for the thumb !

Old 04-12-2008, 02:27 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,907,964 times
You may want to check other threads or posts before you post something that has already been addressed....I'm not being mean about it! I'm just giving you a suggestion in case you didn't realize you could find things that have been posted by doing a search Here's what I wrote in another thread way back in August right when football was gearing up:

Wyoming/Montana

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I grew up in Wyoming and it was definitely BRONCO territory! The Rockies are a fairly "young" MLB team, so before they started there was a variety of faves for MLB. Bball...it depended on which part of the state you were in. Eastern part mostly Nuggets and Western mostly Jazz. And of course most Mormons (a lot of them where I was from) were for the Jazz.

I've lived in Montana for the past 13 years and things a bit different here. I'm still a die-hard Broncos fan, as are many people I know, but there are other NFL teams loved by residents here. A lot of the folks in the Western part of MT like the Seahawks as they are closer to Seattle. I've run across quite a few "Cheeseheads" and Vikes fans here in the Eastern part of the state. And for some weird reason there are a lot of Steelers fans here.

This is just the perspective of one person, but that's my 2 cents worth!! GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 04-12-2008, 03:44 AM

148 posts, read 529,051 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
You may want to check other threads or posts before you post something that has already been addressed....I'm not being mean about it! I'm just giving you a suggestion in case you didn't realize you could find things that have been posted by doing a search Here's what I wrote in another thread way back in August right when football was gearing up:

Wyoming/Montana

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I grew up in Wyoming and it was definitely BRONCO territory! The Rockies are a fairly "young" MLB team, so before they started there was a variety of faves for MLB. Bball...it depended on which part of the state you were in. Eastern part mostly Nuggets and Western mostly Jazz. And of course most Mormons (a lot of them where I was from) were for the Jazz.

I've lived in Montana for the past 13 years and things a bit different here. I'm still a die-hard Broncos fan, as are many people I know, but there are other NFL teams loved by residents here. A lot of the folks in the Western part of MT like the Seahawks as they are closer to Seattle. I've run across quite a few "Cheeseheads" and Vikes fans here in the Eastern part of the state. And for some weird reason there are a lot of Steelers fans here.

This is just the perspective of one person, but that's my 2 cents worth!! GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[+] Rate this post positively
It's the internet, I don't like reading old posts. I did search but there are new people who can input as well, so I wanted to start my own thread. I am new to the city-data message boards, but not new to message boards in general.

It amazes me that a new thread about something so unimportant makes people so irritated! Not that I'm being mean or anything...

Old 04-12-2008, 08:13 AM

22,973 posts, read 25,052,065 times
I've got to add GO GREEN BAY!!!!!
Nascar is pretty big here as well...

Old 04-12-2008, 10:55 AM

1,640 posts, read 4,468,581 times
Alot of People in MT are transplants, so they root for their home state. Also, there is alot of bandwagon jumpers..."Eh, My second cousin on my wife's side went to a conference in Boston so I obviously love the Sox and Pats"

Old 04-12-2008, 11:51 AM

369 posts, read 1,376,066 times
If you ain't a Griz Fan, you just ain't.....

University of Montana Grizzly Football is something I'm always willing to talk (brag) about even if it irritates GEORGIAINMT!!!

Washington-Grizzly Stadium will hold 25,000+ this fall and was voted one of the top 25 venues for football in the nation by Sports Illustrated a couple of years ago. One poster was right about transplants having a place in their hearts for homestate teams, but they soon be come Griz Fans. Why? The Griz have won or shared the Big Sky championship for over a decade; had a winning season for over 20 years straight and, most importantly, have participated in the 1-AA (now FCS) playoffs for 15 consecutive years, gone to the Championship Game 5 times in the last 14 years (1995, 1996, 2000, 2001 2004) and won it twice! There's just nothing quite like a Saturday afternoon in Missoula for football. I'm sure Ohio State is wonderful, but people come away absolutely amazed from an afternoon that is totally and perfectly choreographed from the moment your foot hits the street.

With that, who really needs pro-sports? But I think Billings has an Arena Football team.

Then there are the Montana State University Bobkittens!!

Tom

Last edited by grizzfan; 04-12-2008 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: clarify

Old 04-12-2008, 01:24 PM

139 posts, read 444,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
If you ain't a Griz Fan, you just ain't.....

University of Montana Grizzly Football is something I'm always willing to talk (brag) about even if it irritates GEORGIAINMT!!!

Washington-Grizzly Stadium will hold 25,000+ this fall and was voted one of the top 25 venues for football in the nation by Sports Illustrated a couple of years ago. One poster was right about transplants having a place in their hearts for homestate teams, but they soon be come Griz Fans. Why? The Griz have won or shared the Big Sky championship for over a decade; had a winning season for over 20 years straight and, most importantly, have participated in the 1-AA (now FCS) playoffs for 15 consecutive years, gone to the Championship Game 5 times in the last 14 years (1995, 1996, 2000, 2001 2004) and won it twice! There's just nothing quite like a Saturday afternoon in Missoula for football. I'm sure Ohio State is wonderful, but people come away absolutely amazed from an afternoon that is totally and perfectly choreographed from the moment your foot hits the street.

With that, who really needs pro-sports? But I think Billings has an Arena Football team.

Then there are the Montana State University Bobkittens!!

Tom
Don't take this the wrong way, but the sudden rise in die-hard Griz fans was brought on by Brian Ayat's (spelling) team that took them to a National Championship against the Thundering Herd of Marshall.
I grew up near Missoula and watched Larry Krystkowiak tear up the court. He brought a lot of popularity to the Griz B-ball team. The UofM sports teams are good, but I can't help but see the "band-wagoneering" going on across the state.
With that said, my NFL team has always been the Seahawks. I like the Diamondbacks simply because the Missoula Osprey are sponsered by them. There are no pro teams here, so Montanans are pretty well spread out in who they root for.

For the record, I never liked the Bozo Bobcats, either. Just look at the Cat/Griz Trophy...its a painting that depicts a grizzly and a bobcat....the griz dominates the painting.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:29 PM

24 posts, read 77,869 times
What about the Billings outlaws?
Billings Outlaws, Billings Montana Indoor Football League
Live can be fun to watch.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:06 PM

369 posts, read 1,376,066 times
Jetmech72 says:

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but the sudden rise in die-hard Griz fans was brought on by Brian Ayat's (spelling) team that took them to a National Championship against the Thundering Herd of Marshall.
Brian Ay Yat was QB in 1996 and the Griz lost to Marshall that year; seems an import WR by the name of Randy Moss couldn't be stopped.

Dave Dickinson was the QB in 1995 when we won our first National Championship against Marshall. I was there and went to three more meetings at Chattanooga. Dave has played Canadian Football since that time winning the Grey Cup at least once and voted MVP of all Canadian Football several times. I'm not sure what happened to Brian Ay Yat, but he was a great QB too.

Quote:
the griz dominates the painting.
Quite right... ...the Griz dominate, period!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana