U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 06:42 AM

7,978 posts, read 9,508,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
You can vacation, do recon on a relocation or both. They are sorta related but they are different and both take time. If you have 4-5 days and a lot of it is going to vacation, then not a lot of it is going to direct recon of a relocation.
Looking through the relocation lens is important. It seems like a lot of people move to Montana because they fell in love with it on vacation. They felt so relaxed. Of course they were relaxed, they were on vacation. They forget that Montanans have jobs just like everyone else. OP, I definitely recommend going just to explore the area as a potential resident. Do minimal touristy stuff but instead hit the pavement looking at cost of living, job opportunities, and hanging out where locals do to get a feel for things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 11:12 AM

843 posts, read 651,813 times
There are lots of small towns littered across Montana, where prices are much cheaper. The hard part is finding one that is close enough for you to deal with the commute. I live in the Helena area, and even here, just 20 miles down the road, the prices drop about 30% compared to living in town. I second the opinion that your spouse should find a job, and then look at the surrounding area. I know 2 people here at work that own a home that is over 40 miles away from Helena. To them, the drive is worth it.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:18 AM

9,732 posts, read 8,261,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Looking through the relocation lens is important. It seems like a lot of people move to Montana because they fell in love with it on vacation. They felt so relaxed. Of course they were relaxed, they were on vacation. They forget that Montanans have jobs just like everyone else. OP, I definitely recommend going just to explore the area as a potential resident. Do minimal touristy stuff but instead hit the pavement looking at cost of living, job opportunities, and hanging out where locals do to get a feel for things.

I agree! What you see as a vacationing tourist has little or no relationship to what you will encounter when establishing residency. As it is often is said; "Sure, those mountains, streams, and lakes are pretty, but you can't eat scenery, and living in a tent gets old real quick!"
You might also want to compare the Western mountains with the Eastern plains and smaller mountain ranges. The differences in land prices, wages, cost of living, etc. can be incredible. After spending a few years in Billings, I will never return to the Flathead Valley to live. It has changed a lot since I left in the early '80s, and not necessarily for the better, IMO.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:42 AM

12 posts, read 4,979 times
Thank you all for the continued input. I agree with a lot that is said here in that the view through the vacation lens is always difficult. Typically when we travel, we stay away from the touristy stuff (although I guess you can say hiking and climbing is touristy). We always prefer to find the local hang out and talk with the locals, this is how we eventually fit in so well out our second home in Upstate NY. Currently we live in a super expensive area to live and even with a good job its essentially paycheck to paycheck due to the outrageous cost of taxes. Our desire to get out of here is to be able to get back to nature, have comfortable jobs with comfortable salaries. If it were up to me, I would be perfectly fine with 2-5 acres and we keep our family horses across the street at someone's ranch for a fee of course. I most certainly do not want to head to an area where Ill be working just as hard if not harder to afford less than I have here. Life is too short to be working all the time.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:09 PM

7,978 posts, read 9,508,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney86 View Post
Currently we live in a super expensive area to live and even with a good job its essentially paycheck to paycheck due to the outrageous cost of taxes. Our desire to get out of here is to be able to get back to nature, have comfortable jobs with comfortable salaries. If it were up to me, I would be perfectly fine with 2-5 acres and we keep our family horses across the street at someone's ranch for a fee of course. I most certainly do not want to head to an area where Ill be working just as hard if not harder to afford less than I have here. Life is too short to be working all the time.
You're wise to do your homework. Life is too short to work all the time. That's miserable anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or