Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 08:56 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Congratulations Dave, you just managed to offend nearly every resident of Yellowstone County, AND the migrant workers that will be arriving soon for the sugar beet harvest (The migrant grain harvesters have already been here and moved on.). Migrant workers leave before winter sets in, so the cold does not affect them.

Whatever modicum of respect I ever had for you is GONE! YOU killed it!

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Billings IS better than Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 05:42 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning DDave?

I believe subforums for towns were set up in the early days of Citydata. I would think one could be set up or switched out for Billings. I don't think either gets much demand, most inquiries are about Montana in general.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:25 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,098,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post
MTSilvertip said it best.

The sub-forums are created by traffic through this website rather than the population of the city.

It's always been true that people live in Billings by necessity, family roots, or good job offers. Those that live their by choice love it in their heart with no excuses.

Missoula and Bozeman on the other hand are pretty well populated by transplants that want to sing about their new home to the world. Plus, the educated, young, alternative lifestyle folks that choose those places are more into the internet and modern technology.

Hence the sub-forums.
But again, this is literally the only state forum that has city sub-forums where the largest city in the state doesn't have a sub-forum, literally the only one. It's the largest city in the state, bottom line. Plus these forums aren't just for "transplants", many city forums are more utilized for current or proposed projects, i.e. shops, restaurants, buildings, etc and events around town.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:15 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
But again, this is literally the only state forum that has city sub-forums where the largest city in the state doesn't have a sub-forum, literally the only one. It's the largest city in the state, bottom line. Plus these forums aren't just for "transplants", many city forums are more utilized for current or proposed projects, i.e. shops, restaurants, buildings, etc and events around town.
Oh, you mean for instance that the semi tractor/trailer hauling the sets and equipment for the Marilyn Manson concert wrecked on I-90 so the performance was delayed?

Yeah that didn't really impact me, (I wasn't going to it anyway), and apparently not too many others since nobody started a thread on it. And that's current, just last week, and the concert will be held in Billings.

When I have to go there, it's usually for a specific purpose. Someone in the hospital, parts, the fair or the outdoor show. I don't go there just to shop or eat, too far away and I've got things to do.
If I'm there and get hungry, there's a Kentucky Fried Chicken and several other fast food places on 27th.

Although, Schiels and Cabella's are there, and when I have to shop for Christmas or a birthday or some such, I do enjoy browsing those stores.

But I'd never go to Billings without a reason. Shopping and eating can be done much closer to home.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:14 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
The odds of a Billings sub-forum being created or the renaming of an existing one are pretty much slim to none. Will only happen if there is a wholesale reconfiguration of City-Data, which isn't going to happen. There are other sub-forums that have been repeatedly requested and are much more worthy. None of them were created.

The above is only my personal opinion, but as a moderator, it is what I've seen and experienced.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-30-2019, 07:43 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Billings is the largest city in the state...by a lot, but it doesn't have it's own sub forum. I found this odd and doing some research, this is the only state forum with multiple sub-forums that does not have a sub forum of it's largest city. So my question is...why not? Where's the Billings sub-forum?
you could start new threads about Billings and hope the Senior Monitors take notice and pass on a recommendation to the big head, I'll do my part too, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:15 AM

343 posts, read 353,137 times
Quote:
I fear you missed my point. The sub forums when created were created based on volume of traffic visiting this website from that geographic location. Not the size of the city. The largest city in every state usually has the largest traffic coming to city-data, so the correlation has always stood in every other state.

I could be wrong but, I argue the reason there is no Billings sub-forum is because the traffic to this website from there is alot lower than from Missoula and Bozeman. And I feel that's the case because Missoula and Bozeman are populated by college students, trustafarians, and starry eyed Montana dreamers. People who will create traffic on city-data.

Billings people are too busy to spend alot of time on the internet and are too comfortable with their decision to live there to feel the need to justify it. Unlike Missoula and Bozeman residents who need to race here to the boards to argue with everybody that their city is the best.

So you are right. These boards aren't just for transplants. That's just how it works in the Montana forum. People moving to other locations do discuss projects, probabilities, and other basic logistics. People moving to Montana seem to have some ridiculous dream about the country life. Hence the reason the pretty areas have sub-forums, and the large areas, do not.

Not meaning to argue, just making clarification.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:35 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Well, if it makes you feel any better, Billings IS better than Baltimore.

Nice try, DDave, but no cigar!
IMO, nearly any town (including Missoula) in the Mountain West is better than any town on the East Coast. This from one who was born in PA (I left there in 1948. Thank you, Mother!).

Old 11-03-2019, 02:35 PM

35 posts, read 41,305 times
Montana's Western towns receive more internet search traffic than Billings, I believe. It's just prettier on the Western side of the state. The allure of moving to Montana is to be surrounded by beautiful forests and mountains; again mostly on the Western side of the state. I've lived in Billings for 13 years. I would love to live in Bozeman or Missoula but it's just so expensive to live there.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:06 AM

23 posts, read 15,237 times
Haha.. no one took an effort for making the forum! why don't you start one and will follow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana