U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 08:23 AM

3,111 posts, read 2,488,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortWingate View Post
Gritty = Drug Culture
Meth, opioids, heroin or all of the above?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 08:34 AM

6,654 posts, read 7,804,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Meth, opioids, heroin or all of the above?
In Butte, mostly alcohol. Great Falls is closer to the reservations, so yeah, pretty much all of the above.

There are drugs here just as there are everywhere these days. It's a national problem.
Most people never really see it aside from newspaper articles when a bust is made. The crime rate here is pretty low with most crime s being domestic violence or property crimes.

If you're away from the colleges, universities and Indian Reservations, drugs aren't really as big a deal as some would have you believe.
With the exception of marijuana which is everywhere.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:23 AM

3,111 posts, read 2,488,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
In Butte, mostly alcohol. Great Falls is closer to the reservations, so yeah, pretty much all of the above.

There are drugs here just as there are everywhere these days. It's a national problem.
Most people never really see it aside from newspaper articles when a bust is made. The crime rate here is pretty low with most crime s being domestic violence or property crimes.

If you're away from the colleges, universities and Indian Reservations, drugs aren't really as big a deal as some would have you believe.
With the exception of marijuana which is everywhere.
My experiences say that the availability of mj may actually reduce the number of meth heads and opioid abusers....I saw a study recently showing fewer overdoses in Colorado. A lot of lot smokers at my University, like more than half, but no meth or opioids...seems like these synthetic drugs and meth all became popular, where weed became expensive..like the PCP crisis in Washington DC in the 80s and also the crack epidemic...those were readily available, but they couldn't get a bag of weed if their lives depended on it.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:33 PM

145 posts, read 177,122 times
Like every single town in the US there are drugs in Butte and in Great Falls.

Great Falls has rivers, Butte does not. If you like rivers then I'd choose Great Falls. GF is much much more windy than Butte, however. If you don't like wind, pick Butte.

I lived in Butte for years, right uptown in a nice partially restored Victoria, which I completed restoration on. We never had a problem with drugs, theft, vandalism, panhandling, etc. I walked to work (1 mile each way). In the mornings my 5'10" 108lb wife would walk with me, then walk home. Then she'd walk back in the afternoon. She never had a problem with harassment, drugs, being accosted, etc.

We never, in 3+ years, locked our house that I recall. I didn't own a key. She had a key. Our cars were parked on the street. I may have taken the keys out of my truck (2008 and then 2014 Silverado) a handful of times. My garage was packed with tools, motorcycles, a classic BMW and the lock on it didn't even work. We would walk to get coffee, groceries, etc uptown.

Anytime anyone mentions Butte and crime I think they spend 2 days there in 1986 and have formulated an opinion on it since then that will never change.

GF does have some bigger box stores (Home Depot, TJ Maxx) that Butte does not have. Butte does have access to Georgetown Lake, Homestake, and is much closer to Big Hole for fishing.

With all that said, we did want to move to Great Falls because of the river atmosphere and the older downtown has a lot of trees as a result - but we also never stayed there for an entire winter and dealt with the wind.

Neither of us had a problem with Butte winter.

Last edited by AirborneVespa; 08-12-2019 at 01:48 PM..

Old 08-12-2019, 07:20 PM

5,401 posts, read 5,803,207 times
Meth is everywhere in MT. Ask someone in law enforcement, if you do not believe it is in your area.

Alcohol abuse is our biggest drug issue.

Last edited by historyfan; 08-12-2019 at 07:35 PM..

Old 08-13-2019, 10:17 AM

145 posts, read 177,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Meth is everywhere in MT. Ask someone in law enforcement, if you do not believe it is in your area.

meth is everywhere in the US. It's certainly no worse in MT than anywhere else.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:03 PM

Butte/Silver Bow & Cascade County (Great Falls) & Yellowstone County (Billings) have the highest property crime rates....Gt Falls highest at 56 incidents per 1,000 of population.
Compared to more typical MT area like Beaverhead County, Dillon with less than 5 incidents per 1,000 of population.

Highest violent crime rates- Deer Lodge County, Deer Lodge (state penitentiary), Hill County, Havre (reservation), Roosevelt County, Poplar & Wolf Point (reservation), Richland County, Sidney (oil field).

More info here

https://mbcc.mt.gov/Data/Crime-Data-...rime-Data-Maps

Old 08-13-2019, 08:08 PM

483 posts, read 367,764 times
Neither

Old 08-14-2019, 12:36 PM

Update
My apologies..Deer Lodge is in Powell Country and Anaconda is in Deer Lodge County.. so high violent crime stats were for town of Anaconda not town of Deer Lodge. That surprised me.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:07 AM

343 posts, read 298,327 times
I love how Dangerous Dave keeps desperately promoting/defending Missoula. Part of the joy of the Montana page.

I'd choose Butte. A little tired but, as other posters have said: there is no funner place to go wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana