Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 06:38 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post
I love how Dangerous Dave keeps desperately promoting/defending Missoula. Part of the joy of the Montana page.

I'd choose Butte. A little tired but, as other posters have said: there is no funner place to go wild.
Butte is an interesting town. There is a lot of pride.

What's left there for jobs? I think years ago Montana Power was based out of there but they've been gone for a long time. Doesn't Town Pump have their headquarters there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 09:27 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
Neither
You couldn't pick a worse city in Montana.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:04 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Butte America, of course.

The Uptown Cafe is awesome, Front Street Market is fantastic, and who cares about billions of gallons toxic wastewater anyway!

Old 08-16-2019, 12:04 AM

343 posts, read 352,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post

What's left there for jobs? I think years ago Montana Power was based out of there but they've been gone for a long time. Doesn't Town Pump have their headquarters there?
Mostly low wage jobs. It's not really a happening economy, but its also dirt cheap to live there.

Town Pump headquarters is there. A lot of officers from the Montana State Prison also make a home in Butte. MSP is probably one of the more stable 'employers' for Butte residents that I can think of these days.

Otherwise its minimum wage fast food and retailers.

There is a lot of pride. I always loved it and could never explain why.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:18 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Quote:
Mostly low wage jobs. It's not really a happening economy, but its also dirt cheap to live there.

Town Pump headquarters is there. A lot of officers from the Montana State Prison also make a home in Butte. MSP is probably one of the more stable 'employers' for Butte residents that I can think of these days.

Otherwise its minimum wage fast food and retailers.

There is a lot of pride. I always loved it and could never explain why.
The selection of lower priced homes is somewhat better in Butte. I would rate the job market as far more important than micro breweries and street fairs, though. Over the last ten or 15 years, it seems like there are 200 more wine regions in the US, along with so much capacity in things like B & B...It is a start, but it is going to be difficult to make seasonal tourism into a growing economy. Heard quite a few stories of people buying small wineries in California and losing a significant amount on every bottle sold. The big players might keep you in business just to watch you lose your shirt. What ever happened to biotech and IT, and I'm not talking Medicaid hospitals or AOL call centers...seen plenty of that in Arizona..makes you wonder why you graduated from college.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post

Montana Power was acquired by NorthWestern Energy whose headquarters are technically in South Dakota but for all intents and purposes it's still in Butte. NorthWestern Energy was a tiny company and all the corporate stuff was already established in Butte so that's where all the power still sits. There are what, like 7 or more NWE building in Butte? I used to work in the Energy Building uptown which was a few blocks from the GO building. Most of the big wigs split most of their time between Butte (out of necessity) and Helena (because it's close but soooo much nicer). Unless something has drastically changed since I left the company in 2014. For what it's worth, NWE is a great company to work for. I was an employee for 7 years in both Butte and Helena until I moved out of state.

Town Pump is in town. If you're in with the Kenneally's you'll do alright. I worked at a Town Pump while attending Tech until I landed an internship with NWE.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:19 AM

343 posts, read 352,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
The selection of lower priced homes is somewhat better in Butte. I would rate the job market as far more important than micro breweries and street fairs, though. Over the last ten or 15 years, it seems like there are 200 more wine regions in the US, along with so much capacity in things like B & B...It is a start, but it is going to be difficult to make seasonal tourism into a growing economy. Heard quite a few stories of people buying small wineries in California and losing a significant amount on every bottle sold. The big players might keep you in business just to watch you lose your shirt. What ever happened to biotech and IT, and I'm not talking Medicaid hospitals or AOL call centers...seen plenty of that in Arizona..makes you wonder why you graduated from college.
I wonder why I graduated college every day of the week. I am doing well financially now, but the job is a blue collar job that doesn't need the degree to get hired. Oh well.

As for Butte, yeah, it has a potential for almost anything. But, it is tough to pin down what is eventually going to work the best as far as economy and good employment.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:25 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
Quote:
I love how Dangerous Dave keeps desperately promoting/defending Missoula. Part of the joy of the Montana page.

I'd choose Butte. A little tired but, as other posters have said: there is no funner place to go wild.

Desperately? Like, I'm going to starve if people don't move to Missoula?

I'm just trying to be honest with people. There are a lot of places in Montana that are nice to visit. There are a lot of places in Montana that are nice to live in. Butte is the former. Great Falls is neither.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Desperately? Like, I'm going to starve if people don't move to Missoula?

I'm just trying to be honest with people. There are a lot of places in Montana that are nice to visit. There are a lot of places in Montana that are nice to live in. Butte is the former. Great Falls is neither.
I concur.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:48 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Great Falls appears to be more Red while Butte is more Blue..I am wondering if that is making a difference in some of the opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana