Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 07:08 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
In Montana, 23 percent of personal income comes from dividends, interest and rent, which is the third-highest among all states and higher than the national average of 19 percent. Missoula, Gallatin and Flathead counties join 27 other Montana counties in ranking in the top 10 percent among all U.S. counties in the share of personal income from those sources.

The share of income from non-wage sources grew from 31 percent in 1990 to 36 percent in 2015, according to the IRS. In Missoula County, more than 40 percent of the total adjusted gross income comes from non-wage sources. That ranks in the top 10 percent nationwide.

That means that Montana’s housing market is affected by people who aren’t constrained by the relatively low wages there.

Really? 23% of personal income?
Well, once again we appear to be way outside the "mainstream"! In all of our working years, we never had ANY "dividends, interest, and rent". All we ever had was wages or salaries. Our interest on saving accounts never exceeded $20 total in any given tax year. Never had any rental income, never had any rentals! Dividends? What are those?
Most of the people we worked with were in the same situation. Where did the number crunchers find these people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 07:41 AM

246 posts, read 349,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Really? 23% of personal income?
Well, once again we appear to be way outside the "mainstream"! In all of our working years, we never had ANY "dividends, interest, and rent". All we ever had was wages or salaries. Our interest on saving accounts never exceeded $20 total in any given tax year. Never had any rental income, never had any rentals! Dividends? What are those?
Most of the people we worked with were in the same situation. Where did the number crunchers find these people?
Probably a 3rd or more of my maintenance clients in the Flathead Valley where 40-50 something out of staters many retired or "working" from home. This is where the #'s are coming from......

Old 06-05-2020, 09:53 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Yeah I notice when an original poster doesn't follow up. But it has only been 2 weeks. Maybe it will happen in days, months, years ahead. Or not. It is a somewhat annoying hazard of taking the time to try to help. Most threads become at least partly for others beyond the OP though regardless of how they follow-up and so still useful to some degree. Eventually let them go and perhaps on to other threads.

Re: Billings population. 110k in the city, 168k in 3 county metro now.

On Presidential voting, Montana has gone Republican in 12 of last 13 elections. Close a couple of times. It appears that probably only about 10-20% of voters think about swinging from their norm in Presidential elections and less actually do it most of the time. More "Independence" shown more in votes for Governor, other state offices and US Senate and House, though one can wonder if that might become less common in the long-term future.

In 2020 it seems more likely than not that the Governor will be Republican and the Senate seat goes Democratic. Anybody think Cooney wins?

Redraven, you are not "out of the mainstream". Most non-wage income goes to a fairly small group people. (30% getting more than a little?) Most of that total money is going to the top 10% and most of that to the top 1%. In Montana and most places in these days of unprecedented wealth concentration (at least for the last 100-200 years).

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-05-2020 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-05-2020, 11:42 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Yeah I notice when an original poster doesn't follow up. But it has only been 2 weeks. Maybe it will happen in days, months, years ahead. Or not. It is a somewhat annoying hazard of taking the time to try to help. Most threads become at least partly for others beyond the OP though regardless of how they follow-up and so still useful to some degree. Eventually let them go and perhaps on to other threads.

On Presidential voting, Montana has gone Republican in 12 of last 13 elections. Close a couple of times. It appears that probably only about 10-20% of voters think about swinging from their norm in Presidential elections and less actually do it most of the time. More "Independence" shown more in votes for Governor, other state offices and US Senate and House, though one can wonder if that might become less common in the long-term future.

In 2020 it seems more likely than not that the Governor will be Republican and the Senate seat goes Democratic. Anybody think Cooney wins?

Redraven, you are not "out of the mainstream". Most non-wage income goes to a fairly small group people. (30% getting more than a little?) Most of that total money is going to the top 10% and most of that to the top 1%. In Montana and most places in these days of unprecedented wealth concentration (at least for the last 100-200 years).
Montanans take pride in being self sufficient so they tend to be small L libertarians. PNW explained it well.

Our state Dems are for the most part more fiscally conservative than the national party candidates.

If you know Cooney you will vote for him, so I believe he will win.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:06 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Montana doesn't register by party. Alaska has 55% registered independents. About half of states have 20% or more registered independents but most of them have a clear lean or pattern in their actual voting.

Registering By Party: Where the Democrats and Republicans Are Ahead – Sabato's Crystal Ball

Montana ranked in top 10 states for self-identification as Republican on one list I saw. Some vote Democrat on occasion. That independence may be a legacy reaction from when the mining & railroad companies ruled aggressively and greatly, too much even for some Republicans. If Republicans get the Governorship back along with House and Senate, policy could once again shift more significantly in favor of corporations and the rich. And then maybe set off a reaction the other way again.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-05-2020 at 12:17 PM..

Old 06-05-2020, 06:12 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post

I stand corrected on Billings population. I had a number in mind but it was associated with city not metro.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:13 PM

47 posts, read 99,648 times
Default I suggest baby steps

As a former Chicago resident who left a legit career in search of adventure...I've been to Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon, working as a guide, outdoor retail, bike and ski tech, line cook and de facto sous chef...and a few grown-up jobs in between.

I would suggest doing your move in baby steps.

If you have kitchen experience, especially fine dining, I would look for seasonal work at any of the luxury resorts. You can get back into shape cooking, enjoy the outdoors. Just have some fun before comitting to one place and another mortgage, etc...

I think a lot of resorts are late in hiring due to the public health situation...but places are trying to get open right freakin' now it seems.

I say look for fine dining and luxury resorts because the more exclusive, the smaller the staff and the pay is better. And if you're an adult, you don't need to be slinging pizza by the slice or burritos for minimum wage.

And i suggest seasonal work, because if the crew your with or the situation isn't ideal, it'll be over in a few months. And personally, I don't like commitment.

Try not to dwell on what you hate but maybe ake a list of all the stuff you might miss about Chicago (trying to keep it positive) and think if you'll miss it later. or make a mini-bucket list of stuff you'd like to do that you absolutely can't do in Chicago.

I miss friends mostly in Chi-town. A legitimate Chicago dog. I make an excellent Chicago style pizza. But fat chance getting a legit Chicago style deep dish outside the Chicago metro area. The availablity and variety of awesome food is something I no longer take for granted. Although my favorite cuban place closed down years ago. Italian sub...people don't even know what that is around here. Best concert ever was Primus opening for Fishbone at the Riviera.

But I like fly fishing and fresh air. Snowsports are fun (but i'm over it now). I forage for morels every year (currently in Oregon). Never would've seen the Aurora Borealis if I'd stayed in Chicago. However, might've actually had some home equity if I would've stayed.

ok. that's my two-cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana