Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 08:41 PM

28 posts, read 43,771 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am looking at possible states to retire in in the next 10 years. I am looking to purchase a piece of land that I can have paid for before I retire. My question is Montana a good retirement state? I recently researched retiring in the state of Wyoming and that is still a possibility, but I want to cover all my basis. I have also considered Utah and Idaho but I want to know if Montana is a better option.

I currently live in the Memphis, Tennessee area and ready to leave. I am single with no kids and don't mind living in a small town, 25k the most. I would like to be within reasonable distance of sholling, medical facilities, and an airport. Are the winters as bad as they say? What towns would you suggest? I wouldn't mind some acreage and to have mountain views and wildlife on the property. I am also open to being in town. Several people on the Wyoming thread have told me it is very difficult to develop land in Wyoming. Is it the same in Montana? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 09:23 PM

8,389 posts, read 8,608,618 times
There are no cities in Montana with populations between 10-24 thousand. Kalispell is 25k but with a metro of 96k. Belgrade is almost 10k but is a bedroom community west of Bozeman (101k metro including Belgrade).

These counties might fit:

Ravalli 44k
Silver Bow 35k
Lake 30k
Lincoln 20k
Park 17k
Hill 16k
9 more between 10-14k.

You might check Stevensville to Hamilton.
Whitehall.
Townsend.
Lewistown.
Big Timber.

Maybe also consider Sandpoint to Bonners Ferry ID. St. Maries ID. Baker City OR. North of Weiser ID. Mountain Home ID. Richfield UT. Fruita CO. Cortez CO.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-15-2020 at 09:50 PM..

Old 07-16-2020, 12:41 AM

5,558 posts, read 4,907,435 times
Isn't cost of living much higher in Montana?

Old 07-16-2020, 02:01 AM

8,389 posts, read 8,608,618 times
Higher where compare to somewhere else? Kalispell, Bozeman, Whitehall or Hamilton? Compared to a specific spot in Tennessee or CA?

Kalispell on average rates slightly below national average on cost of living. But higher than some cheaper places and not for everybody. How you work and live matters.

Cost of housing on average is close to 20% Higher than national average but supposedly utilities and total transportation costs are cheaper. Buy a more or less expensive house than average and bam your cost of living changes. Drive fancy or multiple rigs and your transportation costs go up. Set the thermostat high, cost goes up. Eat out a lot at high end, have expensive hobbies or kids, costs go up.

Whitehall, more than 20% cheaper than national average on average mostly due to really low housing prices. Bozeman 22% higher than national average, a lot due to very high housing prices Hamilton, 13% below national average.

Memphis itself is on average is 24% below national average. So all 4 of these MT examples are higher. By a little, moderately or a lot. Where you are coming from in CA, MT places might often or almost always be cheaper. But it depends.

Montana as a whole is reportedly 6% cheaper than national average cost of living (if they calculated it right).

More people including some Hollywood stars want to live in or near Bozeman and Kalispell. At least one Hollywood star chose near Whitehall. At least one rock star choose near Hamilton. Less extreme people pick the popular and less popular spots too. Pick what works for you.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-16-2020 at 02:23 AM..

Old 07-16-2020, 08:27 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,371,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Isn't cost of living much higher in Montana?
Ditto what NW Crow said.

When I think of the mountains - I view snow capped and Montana has all the views you could possibly want.

In other states ONLY: Wyo = Outside of Jackson Hole, Dubois or the Bighorns; Colo = Aspen, Crested Butte, Steamboat; Idaho = Ketchum, Salmon, Sandpoint

Old 07-16-2020, 08:35 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,894,574 times
Keep in mind that while Montana has no "sales tax", we do have an income tax. Your retirement income may or may not be taxable. Find out before moving here!
Wyoming has a "sales tax", but no income tax. Many people in Northern Wyoming drive to Montana to shop.

Idaho has both, IIRC.
Yes, winters in Montana and Wyoming can be brutally cold. Below zero temperatures are not uncommon. Snow amounts can vary. Last winter I hardly used my snowplow, but the winter before I used it nearly every week.
Summers can be hot. We have had temperatures in the 90 to 100+ range, with overnight lows in the 50s ever since the Fourth of July. Fire restrictions are currently in place across much of the state.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:19 PM

And both Wyoming and Colorado are returning to drought conditions

Old 07-16-2020, 04:06 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,747,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
And both Wyoming and Colorado are returning to drought conditions
When are they not in drought?

Old 07-17-2020, 07:46 AM

Well, some of it's seasonal. But not now - the last major drought was nine years ago.
http://<a href="https://droughtmonit...ntMap.aspx</a>

Old 07-17-2020, 10:55 AM

12 posts, read 13,302 times
Default move in retirement

Aj_TN I've been looking at this myself now for a few years, haven't done it yet but looking.

Here are my observations/obstacles if you buy land and build....

1: land and real-estate is high, I'm in KY yer TN look on Zillow a while and you will see.
Around Kalispell very high if in Glacier area.
Missoula same and roughly anywhere west of the mountain range.
I don't look at the east MT area
Check land listing carefully for HOA and utilities, some are off-grid
Land with a house is either 500K+ for real nice house or 350K for a not so nice house--look

2: Building cost... high talked to a friend in Livingston who's son-in law works construction, and can be upwards to $200+ sqft

3: Building supervision. Like me your ~1900 miles away how do you supervise a builder?
You would have to stay out there a long while?
Possible, I've thought of getting a cheap used RV and park it on land to supervise, idea?
Any build on land requires septic and you will need a well as most do more cost
Getting driveway built more cost

4: One thing once yer there is everything in MT is far, far, far a drive, unless you live in town. Who wants to live in town-- not me so its a haul to get anything.

5: Your retiring, your gonna have to think healthcare.. Not a ton in MT
My wife need compounding pharma there is one in Kalispell, and other areas but health care is a
consideration
If you live way out (say Thompson Falls) and need a procedure done your gonna have to drive to the biggest town with a Med center capable of surgery. Could be Missoula, Boze, Helena etc Depends on where your looking

6: cost of living is higher due to distance over TN and KY... we are just closer to transport

7: Dont give up no matter what anyone sez if its your dream. You can do it.
I've looked in to Barndominium or Pole Barn houses. this is an in-expensive way to build. Again if you can find a builder who does this.

Check Morton.Building.com for ideas Morton is very expensive but its an idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana