Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 07:53 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
That's why you put it on your clothes, not on your skin.
It's called "Bug Swat" 100% DEET and it says to put it on the skin. Stuff is super strong and messy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 04:39 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
It's called "Bug Swat" 100% DEET and it says to put it on the skin. Stuff is super strong and messy
It can be absorbed through the skin. I'd never do that. Clothes only.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
It can be absorbed through the skin. I'd never do that. Clothes only.
I will get myself a mosquito suit for protection.

Old 08-13-2020, 12:17 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
I'm near Billings. Generally bugs are not too bad, but this year the mosquitoes have gone overboard (out all day and all night rather than just in the evening). Summer grasshoppers are so thick the ground sort of heaves in waves around you as you walk. Watch out for assassin bugs coming in the house.

I generally use pyrethrin horse spray on myself, has the advantage you don't need to worry about leaving it on your skin, but it doesn't last like DEET does.

For when I need to be working outside during the evening (when the mosquitoes carry away small children) and don't want to bathe in DEET, I bought a full bug suit from these folks:

https://www.bugbaffler.com/

I have the hooded jacket, pants, separate hood, and separate gaiters.

The jacket and pants run large to go over clothes, also keeps 'em from being too stiflingly hot, as the mesh is tight enough to keep out gnats.
The hood fits perfect.
The gaiters are a new product and still, uh, in development (they work but need to be longer for general use).

Last edited by Reziac; 08-13-2020 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: better link

Old 09-07-2020, 03:18 PM

10 posts, read 11,470 times
I lived in Michigan all my life until grad school in Indiana, then back to Michigan until Colorado around 2002. I've also been in Florida, southern California, and the Bay Area "Silicon Valley" and the Portland Oregon area. And New Mexico. Now in Montana, near Eureka, which is close to the Canadian border. So, I've been around a bit.

The bugs are not a problem except summer nights those very tiny flies that can just glide through wire screens in windows. They're just a nuisance, not real trouble. Bees are common in spring, summer and early fall. I like bees, but some people don't. There have been a lot of grasshoppers everywhere since July to now.

The insects that bother me most are mosquitos. I *hate* mosquitos! Michigan, Oakland County or anywhere we camped up north, has been the worst place for mosquitos in my experience. Florida might be much worse in places, but I lived in civilized areas with spraying and natural predators.

I live in a rural area, almost all ranches and forest. Lots of nature. Few mosquitos. The only mosquitos I've noticed, or been bitten by, was in May and June when I got water from our pump outdoors. I do this every 3 or 4 days. Not every time, but 1/2 those times maybe, all the water splashing around and puddles that sit attract mosquitos. From July on, the weather has been dry. No mosquitos, even if I make puddles while fetching water. I haven't been here long enough to know whether or not 2020 is a typical year.

Also, horse flies. Those go by various names. Looks like a large regular housefly. Nasty bites. Saw one once, chased it off, and that was it for horse flies so far this year.

Plenty of butterflies, various types, all of them pretty. I've seen dragonflies at streams, lakes, ponds.

Overall, bugs are mostly the good ones, pretty, very few annoying ones, and those are seasonal only for a month or two, and even then nothing compared to Michigan.

Old 09-07-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenUFOPilot View Post
I lived in Michigan all my life until grad school in Indiana, then back to Michigan until Colorado around 2002. I've also been in Florida, southern California, and the Bay Area "Silicon Valley" and the Portland Oregon area. And New Mexico. Now in Montana, near Eureka, which is close to the Canadian border. So, I've been around a bit.

The bugs are not a problem except summer nights those very tiny flies that can just glide through wire screens in windows. They're just a nuisance, not real trouble. Bees are common in spring, summer and early fall. I like bees, but some people don't. There have been a lot of grasshoppers everywhere since July to now.

The insects that bother me most are mosquitos. I *hate* mosquitos! Michigan, Oakland County or anywhere we camped up north, has been the worst place for mosquitos in my experience. Florida might be much worse in places, but I lived in civilized areas with spraying and natural predators.

I live in a rural area, almost all ranches and forest. Lots of nature. Few mosquitos. The only mosquitos I've noticed, or been bitten by, was in May and June when I got water from our pump outdoors. I do this every 3 or 4 days. Not every time, but 1/2 those times maybe, all the water splashing around and puddles that sit attract mosquitos. From July on, the weather has been dry. No mosquitos, even if I make puddles while fetching water. I haven't been here long enough to know whether or not 2020 is a typical year.

Also, horse flies. Those go by various names. Looks like a large regular housefly. Nasty bites. Saw one once, chased it off, and that was it for horse flies so far this year.

Plenty of butterflies, various types, all of them pretty. I've seen dragonflies at streams, lakes, ponds.

Overall, bugs are mostly the good ones, pretty, very few annoying ones, and those are seasonal only for a month or two, and even then nothing compared to Michigan.
I hate those mosquitos that are aggressively that come after me. Also those aggressive flies that bite me. I got that tennis racket with batteries in it and electrocute those flying insects and knock them out of the air. Snap, crackle, pop

Old 09-14-2020, 02:48 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
I don't know about you guys but I found some spots in Montana that had more brutal mosquitoes than the eastern bay portion of Maryland! Jewell Basin was a mosquito infested high mountain alpine lake with black mud and puddles and we literally hiked through thick black swarms of blood suckers. We had to have DEET AND our rain jackets on! They were so bad that the sound of the cloud outside my tent kept me up 1/2 the night.

I'd imagine they would be bad in mountain areas that held lots of snow until early summer like that place.

Oh and Glasgow near the Missouri in the summer!?! Jesus they are THICK.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:08 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
Yeah, the lower end of the lake at Townsend can be like that ... so many skeeters that the air looks hazy, and you don't dare show any scrap of skin. I thought I'd died and gone to Alaska (where they use thick goop called "bear grease" as a physical barrier, cuz nothing else will keep 'em off).

Old 09-14-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I don't know about you guys but I found some spots in Montana that had more brutal mosquitoes than the eastern bay portion of Maryland! Jewell Basin was a mosquito infested high mountain alpine lake with black mud and puddles and we literally hiked through thick black swarms of blood suckers. We had to have DEET AND our rain jackets on! They were so bad that the sound of the cloud outside my tent kept me up 1/2 the night.

I'd imagine they would be bad in mountain areas that held lots of snow until early summer like that place.

Oh and Glasgow near the Missouri in the summer!?! Jesus they are THICK.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:18 AM

82 posts, read 118,709 times
Montana has lots and lots of bugs. Doubt me? Have a close look at the grills on our vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana