Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2020, 11:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,397 times

Advertisements

What does a potential resident need to know about anything and everything about living in Hamilton, MT? Give me some unique things I might not read in a canned description from the internet. What are your experiences overall? Culture, housing, churches, schools, people, politics, economy, taxes, city governance, community support, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 01:43 AM

590 posts, read 923,917 times
I can't give you the info on all you're looking for but I was in Hamilton in July and my initial feeling was that the town of Hamilton was a bit rundown, at least near the highway, while the more rural areas of the county were nicer. This makes sense since the majority of people in Ravalli County don't live in Hamilton. I much preferred Darby over Hamilton. The people were nice though, the people I interacted with were outgoing and helpful. A number of them appreciated the American flag shirt I was wearing. The Bitterroot Valley is beautiful though, from Missoula in the north down south past Darby, just gorgeous. Montana doesn't have sales tax and their property taxes on a similarly priced home as mine in California is about half. I don't know what their gas tax is but it's nowhere near California's. I got premium for less than $2.50 in Lolo and just about everywhere else in Montana.
Ravalli County votes red, quite a bit red. 70%voted for Trump in 2016. If you're a liberal then Missoula county would probably be better for you. It was one of six counties in the whole state that didn't vote red in 2016.
Hamilton wouldn't be my first place to settle in Montana, but I could do worse.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:42 PM

145 posts, read 366,685 times
I literally just resurrected a post about Hamilton from 9 years ago as i was also asking about Hamilton. Strange coincidence this post popped up an hour or so earlier.

I've done some research and the High school scores 10/10 on most websites, the middle school 5/10 mostly. Ad for the rest of it, i'm not sure myself yet.

I'd say avg house price is $250-275k from what i can see on Zillow. But its hard to see right now with covid i'm sure its slowed a lot of things down.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:48 PM

8,389 posts, read 8,597,071 times
One thing many do not know is that there is a large, high security biological research center. Virus research and such.
http://www.niaid.nih.gov/about/rocky-mountain-overview

It is a major part of the economy, with a number of high paying positions. It also raises the % with 4 year degrees over what you typically see in rural areas. Some scientists stay, some rotate in & out and likewise with some students / research fellows.

There is also reportedly some level of splinter fundamentalist Mormon community in the hills. In vicinity of Pinesdale or Woodside I recall.

Hamilton itself has about 4,600 people but if you add in all the small towns and rural areas nearby it is probably 20,000, maybe more. County has 41,000. Most of the rest are probably closer to Missoula with only a few thousand further to the south.

Older than average. Average age is 44. National average is 37. Among married couples, much fewer kids in the household. Unmarried with kids more typical level. Babies and high school populations are near national average but elementary / secondary aged kids are about half the national average.

42 restaurants. Including French, Thai, Filipino, Sushi, Organic, Chinese, Cornish (UK) and Greek.

Crime has picked up, with violent crime moderately above average and property crime is 50% above average.

Snowfall is fairly modest in town (32 inches) but can increase rapidly if you go up in the hills.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-10-2020 at 08:42 PM..

Old 08-10-2020, 10:41 PM

8,389 posts, read 8,597,071 times
Stevensville is a small town (may be a somewhat bigger school district with rural areas) but has normal levels of elementary and secondary aged kids. Very high level of babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana