Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 09:50 AM

5 posts, read 6,855 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to 'house sit' for a relative in Lakeside, near Flathead Lake. I'll be there for 8 months from mid October to mid June 2021 whereupon I will have to vacate so that the relative can enjoy 4 months of warmer weather upon his return. From my research, I see that 8 month rentals are very common so I have to ask whether it's because of bad weather? Is that the primary reason why people leave? Or is it primarily to rent accommodations to visitors of the ski resorts and make some bank? I don't want to "look a gift horse in the mouth" by quizzing my elderly relative so I am looking for input from locals or other people in the know. I would have to give up my apartment here in the Southwest and sell some of my stuff (which is fine) but it looks like I'm relocating from one in-demand area to another and I guess I'm afraid that when I get back here, I won't be able to find anywhere to live. Am willing to take that chance if the adventure is worth it and I guess I just want to know the following please:

How bad are the winters around the lake?
Is the weather 'terrible' from October straight through to June??
Do people mostly stay in at home during this time?
Which months are winter's worst?
Are hiking trails open during this time or snowed in?
Will I need snow chains?
How expensive are groceries and what are the best value grocery stores in the area?
Are rents and house prices going up (just in case I end up staying for the longer term)?

Please add anything that you think will help me to decide on this temporary (?) move and I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 10:44 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Yes, it is because of the weather.

Not exact but close by: https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?mt4558

It probably will be decent for the first weeks and then after some time in April. Worst is usually late December to early March (give or take a few weeks).

The climate is typical for northern Rockies. It isn't too bad usually (imo) but this winter could be heavier on snow than average. https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc...p?lead=4&var=p
You will get some below zero nights. (about 10 on average)
It depends what you can handle.

Ask if roof raking is needed, whether pipes need any special care... and if you can leave occasionally and what steps to take if you do.

You probably can walk in spots near lake at times. Snowshoes might be appropriate. I wouldn't go into hills alone in winter unless experienced, prepared, good conditions and accepting risks of injury, avalanche, change in winter, hypothermia.

Chains or 4wd/awd are recommended. Good tires are important and may be enough much of the time, if you know / learn how to drive on snow & ice. Check YouTube. Staying in during bad conditions when it is not essential is also wise. Wait 4 hours or a day or more when things are blasted. Keep survivor extra clothes, food, water, light, sleeping bag, etc. in car.

People will go out as needed / wanted but it will be lower than in summer and there will be few events.

It probably will be memorable, good or not. If you stay in the house mostly, how much will you enjoy the window views? If winter interests you and you get out, it might be very interesting. Skiing, cross-country, maybe snowmobiles, photography, campfires / nightskies, etc. Your call.

Rents have been going up. High? Depends on size / quality and what you are used to living in and paying. Supply in good weather is tight.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-24-2020 at 11:22 AM..

Old 08-24-2020, 01:33 PM

Thanks NW Crow for the reply. I've read through the threads here on the forum over the past week or so while I was trying to come to a decision about moving up to Montana but I guess I was just hoping that someone would tell me what I wanted to hear! Which is, the weather isn't all that bad and I'll be fine! I actually stand to lose a lot here at home while taking a chance on a new life adventure, living in a region that couldn't be more different than the Southwest. So I admit that I am feeling fearful about making a very wrong choice in thinking that I will be able to cope with what sounds like a brutal inhospitable climate. Aside from the fantastic scenery, wildlife, and open space, what makes you stay? What is it about dealing with subzero temps that makes you feel that it's worth it, especially 8 or so months out of the year? What would be the point of not being able to explore the surroundings because of the dangers and the weather?

Thank you for the heads up regarding taking care of the property. I am guessing that the heat will be on around the clock so that would be another expense that I would need to budget for. Are there many empty properties up there in the area as people leave for a warmer State? Are those houses broken into while standing empty? If I came up there I would have to think about security and now wondering if I should bring a dog for company. I have just over a week to make a decision as to whether or not to commit.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:08 PM

There are a moderate amount of vacant properties in winter and break-ins can be an issue, moreso at south end of lake. Lakeside is safer than national average.

Different people have different ideas about protecting pipes from freezing / bursting. If properly insulated should be ok but not every house is.

It is not 8 months of bad weather unless you think highs in 40s / 50s are bad. It is 3-4 months of bad or at least not so good. Attitude does come into play. Seniors who can afford to go somewhere else may do so. Some leave for shorter or not at all.

Have you ever visited? Maybe visit right now before decision / scheduled close up to get better feel.

If you are unsure, the opportunity may be available in future years. Check. If not at their place, there are others who offer 6-8 month temporary winter rentals. Or find a way to come (or even just visit) in summer.

Free rent is something but changing life isn't completely free as you know. If you are excited about it and think you might want to live in MT for longer, might be worth it. If you are not interested in winter, maybe pass.

Would it fit with whatever else you are doing? Were you thinking of moving before getting this opportunity? Do you really like your current place?

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-24-2020 at 02:47 PM..

Old 08-24-2020, 07:51 PM

OK, good to know that break-ins are a possibility because that was something I did begin to wonder about. I can handle cold weather so temps in the 40s/50s wouldn't be an issue, I was thinking more about deep snow, freezing ice and rain, and how would I get out and drive around in that sort of weather. Are the roads plowed and kept open daily and on the regular? I was thinking that I may have to make a 'fly in' visit for a few days and assess the house and the exact location and also get a feel for the surrounding towns, perhaps chat with some locals and neighbors. I prefer the colder months to the hotter months, here right now we are experiencing humidity, brutal heat and smoke from distant wildfires. 8 months is a long time to be cooped up in an unfamiliar town, not knowing anyone, dealing with harsh winter weather and really it's the weather I'm most concerned about. I'm a lone wolf but not anti-social if that makes sense, I just like my own company because that's the way I'm wired and the thought of house sitting in a new place does sound like an adventure. I was already thinking about moving because, again, the weather is becoming more of a factor here where I currently live, just in an opposite fashion. Hotter summers, more wildfires, energy expenses. I do like it here but it isn't the same place anymore that it once was. Increased traffic, pollution, heat, people and decreased space, nature, wildlife, peace. I ask myself, would I still want to be living here in 10 years time and the answer is definitely NO. It is time for a change but still, the situation involves an upheaval in order to get to Montana and then another upheaval in 8 months time to give the house back to its owner and try to find some place else to live........ yes, hopefully in Montana if the experience works out.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:41 PM

Houses that are lived in are lesser targets but there is some risk anywhere.

State roads and main county roads get priority. Side roads? It will vary. Private roads require private maintenance, one way or another. Yeah ask somebody.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:13 PM

I am going to visit for a week beginning this weekend and will post again when I get back with my 'observations'. Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!

Old 08-25-2020, 07:39 PM

You are welcome.

Good wishes on visit. Have a list of the questions you need answers to and devote enough time to getting them.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:01 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,401,673 times
Lakeside is out in the open and is in sunshine more than the east side of the lake. We lived in Bigfork (on that side) for five years in the heavy trees. The snow that fell in November was still on the ground in May. Flathead county trucks only plow so far up the roads - at least to the school bus turnarounds. And, because we were in Lake County - we didn't see a plow ever. Snowshoes will only get you so far as the deeper snow will overtake you. When visiting the county dump - it's an ice skating pond - you'll need crampons to keep from falling and busting your azz. The counties up there use a slurry of slag and salt on the roads. You may see the colour changes on the roadside from white to red to black as the snow ages. Bald eagles are everywhere. You will mostly see them on struck deer, elk carcasses. Plenty of fish in the lake, just make sure you get a permit from the office in Polson. Which reminds me that Polson has better grocery stores than Kalispell, also cheaper fuel.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:38 PM

177 posts, read 125,565 times
Lakeside and Somers do not get much winter tourism IMO due to Whitefish. I can rent my place on VRBO 100% occupancy if I want from June-September. Nothing outside of those months though. Anyone willing to pay the money to come for a ski vacation is going to want to be close to the big mountain. We have Blacktail for skiing right near us but it is by no means a destination. This is all part of the reason I chose Somers over living closer to Kalispell or Whitefish. There are a lot of snowbirds like your relatives.

The weather here is mild IMO. We will get a few weeks below zero with maybe a few days below -10. Nothing like the cold the central and Eastern parts of the state get. Lots and lots of cloudy days though.

Enjoy your weekend and be sure to ask any follow up questions. You have gotten very good opinions from the other posters up above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana