Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 09:42 AM

32 posts, read 30,030 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,

A friend of mine showed me this website as I never knew it existed. With that as the title describes I am trying to learn a bit more about Montana in some specific regards. The wife and I are conservative (not crazy but pretty far right leaning) and I have been looking at scooping up some land over the course of the next few years not only to build an off-grid cabin of sorts with a nice hilltop view, but I am also looking for some land that is adjacent ranch/farmland.

My reasoning behind getting land adjacent to ranch/farmland, is my desire to help and protect; call it my duty to a grandfather who has passed already. I'd like to consider turning that acquired land into the CRP, protect it from development, etc.

I am currently looking at moving permanently in 2028-2030 and hopefully will be able to transfer my job to the Helena location, but that would be the only location near/in-town that I would be willing to purchase. Everything else would be as stated, near ranch/farmland and that off-grid location. Snow is not a big deal to me; I love snow as I grew up 4wheeling in it all the time when I grew up in WA. I won't move back to WA for anything, but I need my green, rivers, mountains and snow; and Texas ain't got spit of any of that!

Appreciate y'all's time, have a good day!

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 11:21 AM

8,389 posts, read 8,597,071 times
Possible areas near Helena:

Between Helena and Townsend on land overlooking Canyon Ferry Lake

East side of Canyon Ferry Lake

10-40 miles north of Helena

Up toward Marysville

Around Jefferson City (15 plus miles south of Helena)

Somewhat near McDonald Pass (between Helena and Elliston to the west)

Old 08-25-2020, 11:38 AM

Thank you sir. I haven't spent nearly as much time as many of you obviously in MT, but from my experience with MT, I've never known there to be any areas to really "stay-away" from. Are there any that I would be unaware of?

Old 08-25-2020, 11:49 AM

Some might recommend not picking Browning. Maybe Havre. Perhaps some poorer neighborhoods in Great Falls. Butte, you hear good and not, including night rowdies (drinking, drugs, gambling, fighting, theft) and the legacy Superfund mining site. Anaconda and Libby also raise health concerns from past Superfund waste issues. Polson has high property crime. Billings probably has some in town areas that are kinda rough.

For political differences, you might prefer to pass on Missoula.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-25-2020 at 12:13 PM..

Old 08-25-2020, 12:09 PM

I've been reading a lot of the other posts in here and yes; Missoula probably wouldn't suit well for us. I am a bit more on the "passive" side as far as letting people believe what they want to believe, I just won't deal with people shoving things in my face to believe.

So, I have not heard of this "Superfund" waste thing. You have a website you'd suggest reading up on it or know enough about it yourself to share?

Appreciate it.

Steve

Old 08-25-2020, 12:15 PM

Butte https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Pit
Anaconda https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaconda_Copper

Libby
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libby,_Montana (under economy)
https://www.asbestos.com/jobsites/libby/

Old 08-25-2020, 01:49 PM

NW Crow;

Thanks for the links. I had absolutely no idea about this stuff. Very interesting. Thank you sir.

Steve

Old 08-25-2020, 04:49 PM

You are welcome.

To clarify: would you accept 2 pieces of land, one for each purpose or are you looking for one parcel for both?

Entirely your business about acres and budget, but sometimes folks have comments / useful comments when they know your parameters. And your commuting distance preference or limit.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:39 PM

10,230 posts, read 13,737,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Some might recommend not picking Browning. Maybe Havre. Perhaps some poorer neighborhoods in Great Falls. Butte, you hear good and not, including night rowdies (drinking, drugs, gambling, fighting, theft) and the legacy Superfund mining site. Anaconda and Libby also raise health concerns from past Superfund waste issues. Polson has high property crime. Billings probably has some in town areas that are kinda rough.

For political differences, you might prefer to pass on Missoula.
I'd stay far away from any reservation. I've heard there are rough areas of Great Falls and Billings but not sure how accurate that is. Butte is quite a colorful town. Lots of pride in the city but I don't think there's much of an economy (correct me if I'm wrong).

Old 08-25-2020, 08:48 PM

Butte is a healthcare hub. Once you get population, there are jobs in retail, education, public administration, food & accommodations, services and everything else. Montana Tech. Still some mining, energy, environmental service and construction jobs. Before this year unemployment has modest. Incomes well below national average but like many 4th or 5th tier places.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-25-2020 at 08:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana