Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The best city in Montana is...?
Billings 7 17.07%
Bozeman 10 24.39%
Great Falls 1 2.44%
Helena 6 14.63%
Butte-Silver Bow 0 0%
Missoula 7 17.07%
Kalispell 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 09:31 AM

20,090 posts, read 8,995,406 times

Advertisements

Kalispell is a great town. Proximity to Glacier National Park is a big plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 06:29 PM

7,377 posts, read 12,657,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post
I'm gonna be the devils advocate and inform you all that Butte is my favorite. No BS. To me it is the best balance of things to do compared against cost of living. It is dirt cheap whilst having plenty of hiking trails and forest lands nearby. The city itself is super historic, ugly or not. It oozes history (literal toxic ooze from a historic mining pit ) in a way that other Montana cities don't quite do.

The Montana State Prison is a good well rounded employer for the area, being the best paying and benefited job for the lowest overall hiring standards of most employers in the state. Meaning any clown can live and work here and expect a reasonable (read: acceptable minimum) standard of living. Add to that the Montana Tech College should any employees decide to raise their standards to a niche market.

Being around 35ish thousand residents means its big enough to have all the major resources people need, but not so big that it overwhelms. Still feels very much like a small town.

Super cool brick uptown architecture combined with wildly outlandish home floor plans make for a unique experience no matter where one turns. accessible location being almost perfectly equidistant to Missoula, Helena, and Bozeman, and sitting on the intersection of two major interstates means road trips are an always manageable prospect.

To be honest, I still don't get why people don't like the place. Outside of its rugged nature and environmentally unfriendly superfund site, I've only ever enjoyed every minute there.

We were all set to look down our noses at Butte, and we ended up really enjoying our visit! They have an absolutely terrific bookstore on the main drag (could be Books & Books, or Second Edition Books). The mines on top of the hill give it an almost surreal ambiance, and the old Victorian homes and brick buildings are truly super cool.

I have another favorite, and that is just because it is the first small town we pass through when we go up 15 on our way home to Clark Fork, ID: Lima! It seems to be frozen in time along the railroad tracks, but at the outskirt there is an RV park and a great little exercise area for people and dogs, with a stunning mountain view. So we always stop at Lima, say Hi to the old log buildings, and walk the dogs on nice, cool, green Montana grass.

We're also partial to Ennis on the Madison, and Thompson Falls on 200/Clark Fork River. We like visiting Kalispell, too. Gotta have a river or a lake nearby.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:08 AM

343 posts, read 352,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
We were all set to look down our noses at Butte, and we ended up really enjoying our visit! They have an absolutely terrific bookstore on the main drag (could be Books & Books, or Second Edition Books). The mines on top of the hill give it an almost surreal ambiance, and the old Victorian homes and brick buildings are truly super cool.

I have another favorite, and that is just because it is the first small town we pass through when we go up 15 on our way home to Clark Fork, ID: Lima! It seems to be frozen in time along the railroad tracks, but at the outskirt there is an RV park and a great little exercise area for people and dogs, with a stunning mountain view. So we always stop at Lima, say Hi to the old log buildings, and walk the dogs on nice, cool, green Montana grass.

We're also partial to Ennis on the Madison, and Thompson Falls on 200/Clark Fork River. We like visiting Kalispell, too. Gotta have a river or a lake nearby.
Never been to Lima. i'll have to check it out. I like Thompson falls and Kalispell as well, but both for different reasons. Thompson Falls to me a quintessential mountain town for those seeking a simpler life and Kalispell is the postcard tourist and retirement locale.

Many people dislike Butte. But I defend it vehemently. it's always been one of my favorite spots in the state.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:17 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
Butte has some of the best eats in the state! The Uptown Cafe is quite possibly the best restaurant in the state. Also the Front Street Market is a place my wife and I go to for all kinds of goods not found anywhere else in the state.

Add onto that the news out of Butte is awesome- naked women driving into ex-boyfriends car, naked man running into someone's house, lol. That town has some charm, lol!

Old 09-16-2020, 11:37 AM

1,169 posts, read 749,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post

Can you briefly elaborate on that?
Different poster, but for me, Butte and Missoula have worse weather, or more accurately, less pleasant weather in some of the seasons compared to say, Bozeman. They both also have a bit of a gritty side compared to some of the other choices, with higher crime rates. Of course it is all relative, compared to many other cities of their size across the nation

Old 09-16-2020, 04:49 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
We're also partial to Ennis on the Madison...
Best thing about Ennis . . . Shedhorn Sports. Worth the special trips to purchase a few things from them.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-17-2020, 05:50 PM

343 posts, read 352,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
Different poster, but for me, Butte and Missoula have worse weather, or more accurately, less pleasant weather in some of the seasons compared to say, Bozeman. They both also have a bit of a gritty side compared to some of the other choices, with higher crime rates. Of course it is all relative, compared to many other cities of their size across the nation
I wholeheartedly agree with you on all of the above. Bozeman has pleasant summers and surprisingly sunny and fluffy snow winters.

Butte is hugely gritty, top to bottom, wall to wall, but it is what I like about it. Either an acquired taste or simply personal preference for a more rugged environment. I would however argue that Missoula is not all that gritty. Tired maybe. But a good Butte grit it is not. Maybe Helena and Great Falls, or even Billings? Who knows.

Higher crime yes. Trafficking of people and drugs is an issue in Butte due to the interstate intersection.

Good assessment.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:59 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
Since we live near Billings, of course I had to vote for it. We live here because two of our children and five grandchildren live here. We live outside of town on a small acreage ("mini-farm"). We have nobody telling us what we can or cannot have on the place, and I can target shoot (small caliber) in the back yard! Billings has everything we need, and then some.
Kalispell? No. We grew up in the Flathead Valley. It has changed, and not necessarily for the better. We won't even visit for high school reunions!
Great Falls? We lived there for a few years. Nice place, and there is a facility near by where military retirees can find services (Air Force Base).
We really don't have any interest in the others on the list. No particular reason, just not interested in living there. We do like to visit, though, and check out the museums...

Old 09-18-2020, 10:02 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,144,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Since we live near Billings, of course I had to vote for it. We live here because two of our children and five grandchildren live here. We live outside of town on a small acreage ("mini-farm"). We have nobody telling us what we can or cannot have on the place, and I can target shoot (small caliber) in the back yard! Billings has everything we need, and then some.
Kalispell? No. We grew up in the Flathead Valley. It has changed, and not necessarily for the better. We won't even visit for high school reunions!
Great Falls? We lived there for a few years. Nice place, and there is a facility near by where military retirees can find services (Air Force Base).
We really don't have any interest in the others on the list. No particular reason, just not interested in living there. We do like to visit, though, and check out the museums...
Would you be willing to elaborate on why you don't like the changes in the Kalispell area? IMO it's still the part of the state where people who want isolation should go, it's not as empty as it was before but it's empty compared to the southern parts of MT.

I love Billings but it might not be for everyone. It's "rough and tough" whereas a lot of people want the scenic cities of the state.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:38 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Would you be willing to elaborate on why you don't like the changes in the Kalispell area? IMO it's still the part of the state where people who want isolation should go, it's not as empty as it was before but it's empty compared to the southern parts of MT.

I love Billings but it might not be for everyone. It's "rough and tough" whereas a lot of people want the scenic cities of the state.

IMO, the "ambience" of Kalispell is gone. It has spread out all over the place, and "downtown" is no place I want to be.
Columbia Falls has lost all industry (aluminum plant, lumber mills). I wonder how long people can survive selling clothes, groceries, etc. to each other?
Hungry Horse has become mostly a classic "tourist trap". All the taverns are gone, except one. The house I grew up in is gone. The house (shack) I bought years later is gone (good thing!)
Parents are gone.
The people I went to school with 60+ years ago were never really friends, just classmates. Nobody I am interested in visiting.
The USFS campgrounds on the banks of Hungry Horse Reservoir have paved roads now, and many of the campsites are also paved!
Many homes now have to put up with HOAs, and I want nothing to do with them.
"Civilization" has arrived, and not necessarily for the betterment of the communities!

But then, "civilization" is arriving in Billings, as well. There are quite few homeless people downtown, and many street corners have beggars holding cardboard signs. Yet, they are going to spend over a million dollars on a jogging, walking, bicycling trails system. I'm sure it will be nice for those few who use such things, but there is a lot of things that money could be used for to the betterment of the general population, seems to me.

Traffic circles ("roundabouts") seem to be the "in thing" these days. Traffic engineers seem to love them instead of controlled intersections. Maybe they are better, but I try to avoid them.
Ok, enough of that rant...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana