Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 08:13 AM

57 posts, read 61,240 times

Advertisements

Looking for a great pair for below 30 temps. Water and wind proof. Still need to have excellent dexterity for working outdoors and grasping and picking up small items. Thanks again for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 09:42 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
There is no such thing as a ONE set of winter gloves.

You will own MORE gloves than you can keep track of in a relatively short time, particularly if you work or spend much time outdoors.

For those uses you mentioned check out neoprene gloves with the fingers cut off, or the same in wool. I don't like the neoprene gloves, but they do cut the wind.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:49 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
One option I use is Mittens for warmth, with a light pair of wool gloves on inside the mittens. Mittens are far warmer than gloves and you can do corse work with them like getting firewood, but if you need to take them off for finer work, having the wool gloves already on makes for a quick "pull off the mitten, pick up or do what you need with the lighter glove on, put the mitten back on" scenario without chilling your fingers.

The double layer also keeps your hands warmer to lower temps than a single glove or mitten does.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:18 PM

Thanks for both of your replies. Finger cut off doesn't cut. LOL. No exposed skin, kind of defeats the purpose. I will keep searching.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:24 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
It is going to be impossible to find gloves that will give you the same dexterity as a bare finger.

However, I have several set of white gloves that are skin tight and have some sort of reflective material in them. I have not seen them for sale in recent years....I call them Michael Jackson gloves.

Those have been the best, but even then I don't use them to focus my telescopes, nor do I wear them hunting. I just don't have a good sense of where my finger is relative to the trigger with gloves.

Try the mittens and cut-fingers gloves. They are warmer than you think.

I don't use mittens, but have lots of cut-finger gloves for hunting, astronomy, and other outdoor activities.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:27 PM

177 posts, read 124,952 times
Outdoor Research has a very complete line of gloves. https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens-gloves

For what you need, I would have a set of mittens and a nice set of waterproof shells with a merino wool liner. I totally agree with 509 on needing multiple gloves for multiple conditions and roles.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:56 AM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I Got these.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:35 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
I need dexterity and warmth myself. Best I've found are are Wells Lamont "Hydra-Hyde" gloves (leather everything except for the back of the hand). Insulated and when NEW are good to about -25 for working outdoors and handling metal. NEW doesn't last long because that super-duper newfangled insulation packs down fairly quick on the bottom of the fingers, where you need it the most. I regularly treat the leather with vaseline both to waterproof and because then it lasts about 10x longer as a work glove, and helps when the leather gets too slippery (ALL the Gore-tex-and-plastic gloves I've tried are way too slippery on my tools, and don't last worth beans anyway, and are not nearly as warm for work.)

I cycle the tired ones to milder weather and break out a new set when we have a month of deep cold. (Tired ones are still good down to near zero.)

When I had to chuck coal and firewood in -40 temps, I used wool (or wool-and-leather) gloves inside sheepskin mitts. Having gloves on inside the mitts considerably helps what dexterity remains (it's easier to get the mitts to grip stuff with gloves inside than with bare fingers).

The alternative is heated gloves, but they're durn pricey.

As others note, in our climate you soon accumulate bushels of gloves. I always have 3 or 4 pair by the door just for the everyday selection, plus more on the headgear shelf (there's another thing you'll collect lots of).

It makes a huge difference to also wear long underwear -- that'll do as much to keep hands and feet warm as do the gloves and boots.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:09 AM

Good advice REZ.. I will see how long the ones I got last and that Vaseline trick is good to know. Long Johns are always a plus. Thanks again for every ones advice and comments. Highly appreciated. Stay warm my friends, looks like it's going to be a long ONE.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:15 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby B View Post
Those look pretty good, if out of my price range... mine live too rough to spend that much, they're about $10 a pair. But down fill is great, and leather on the bottom instead of that stupid plastic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana