Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 09:49 AM

4 posts, read 7,124 times

Advertisements

welcome a doc, family physician, one for whom medicine is a calling rather than a profession?

We are a young Christian family but we truly enjoy life the old ways... We love traditions and nature... "God, Honor, Country" are the values we live by... We've been serving our country all over the world, and we grew fond of the idea to make Montana our home... Just wondering where we might be needed the most, and that is why we thought to ask the true Montanans out here about the ideas and suggestions they might have for us...

We are neither rich nor seeking life in luxury. We are used to many inconveniences and challenges are our "daily bread". I would love to practice medicine in a place where my patients would also become our friends, and we would be there to help each other with any God given talents and gifts...

Many blessings to all of you, and Godspeed in all your efforts to keep greed and malice out of Montana!!!!!!!!!

Please let us know your opinions about the most medically needy parts of the state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 10:22 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,755,376 times
Are you a licensed medical doctor? That's the first step is to get your Montana medical license.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:40 AM

Thank you for the concern! Please do not take it wrong, but I am not too worried about the "technical aspects" of becoming a physician in Montana. What I would mostly want to hear are the opinions of the Montanans about the health care problems they encounter in their state.

There are statistics available and I have already seen at least some of them. Those numbers, however, cannot speak for the feeling hearts!

God Bless!

Old 10-23-2008, 11:28 AM

There are certian places a person can go that are short on doctors but not too many and those places are also short on people, so it works out. What your describing sounds more like the bush doctors in Alaska, Montana is no Alaska!

We have good medical care in Montana for the most part. The eastern part of the state is a bit sparse on hospitals but people who live in Montana don't have the same expectation for medical care as people who live in cities. Growing up there I never once worried about the prevelance of medical facilities nor was I concerned about the doctor availability.

In general, people in Montana are a people of pride and tend to be resentful of outsiders coming to Montana, and especially ones that come to Montana with the idea of "helping" needy people. Montanans don't see themselves as needy, and would rather think of people elsewhere are the needy ones. (City folk are needy of outdoor recreation and space from other people.)

But again - you have to be licensed. The state does not take well to people practicing medicine without a license.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:01 PM

It is hard to understand the reasons behind the reactions I have received. Last time I checked it was a message board and not a human resources agency, so please forgive me failing to post my resume!

That comment about practicing without a license is totally out of place... One would have to lose his/her God given common sense to try practicing medicine without a degree and/or license...

I agree though that "needy" is a wrong expression, and I apologize for using it... All I meant are medically underserved areas and populations (health professions shortage areas).

The Montana Standard (http://www.mtstandard.com/articles/2008/03/23/butte_top/20080323_butte_top.txt - broken link)

please follow the link and read for yourself - I did not make it up...

Here some more info...
Montana PHSD - Primary Care Office (http://www.dphhs.mt.gov/PHSD/Primary-Care/primary-care-index.shtm - broken link)

Although you have received the medical care you might have needed, please notice the people in your state who haven't been served according to their needs.

I view Montanans as people who do not wish charity and I value them for it. On the contrary to what many people think, God made physicians to serve people, and not to perform acts of charity. It is a vocation which requires a humble heart.

Last edited by Kristynwy; 10-27-2008 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: fixed your links for ya :)

Old 10-23-2008, 07:32 PM

If you're a physician with a medical license in the United States and also have a medical degree from a United States college or equivalent, I apologize for being offensive with my comments on being licensed.

I mention it because if you're a currently practicing doctor, you surely understand the costs that go into a practice. Medical malpractice insurance - required regardless of the amount you charge - runs into the hundreds of thousands of dollar each year. You have nurses and staff to pay for and you have administration relating to health insurance and other costs, and you surely know about that as well.

Would Montana welcome a doctor who doesn't charge for office visits? Sure, the town would think that's great. People who need to see doctors especially. (The doctors who run the for-profit clinics probably wouldn't be very receptive since that would be competition to their clinics)

Would Montana welcome a doctor who charges half price or a discounted price? Same answer

Would Montana appreciate a doctor moving to town that charges the same price? Well, I don't see how that would be any different than anyone else moving to Montana.

But the reality is I don't think you'll be able to make a living off of discounted medical services (cheaper than competing doctors) unless you're doing something radically different. The medical system is setup to be rather expensive in the US and the same applies in Montana as well.

One thing that is different is access to insurance. Montana has lots of small employers and they frequently don't provide medical coverage, or their medical coverage is very expensive so the employees don't purchase it. It's one reason why access to medical care is less than other states, but the doctors fee won't change that situation unless he only charges $10 for a visit which is obsenely low.

What you're really describing is being a doctor for a poor community, which are typically the homeless in cities (not Montana) or in Montana's case the Native American populations. But that's where I talk about prideful people that really hate outsiders that come to help them. And that's a discussion for another thread.

If you go to my hometown (Whitefish) which is listed on your map as being low income, you'll find that nothing could be further from the truth. It's a rich resorty town full of snobbish people who have made their riches elsewhere and are now retired in Whitefish. Surely, Whitefish would not be a poster child for a town in need of discounted medical services.

There are ones that can use more doctors, but I think it would be better to setup shop as a regular doctor who charges full price than trying to practice as a calling.....

Last edited by bigtrees; 10-23-2008 at 08:44 PM..

Old 10-24-2008, 05:02 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Plains Montana has just lost a good doctor. I'm sure the town would welcome a replacement.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:10 AM

239 posts, read 687,841 times
I can't find anywhere in his posted an offer for discount services...he just wants to come to our state and offer his services where he might be needed. Are we so afraid of outsiders, we automatically "have our guard up"?

They sound like a family that would be an asset to the state. They are not building a trophy home in the Paradise Valley or a Starbucks across from your home. We should welcome folks like this with welcome arms.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:23 AM

Thank you very much for your replies!!! We would move there tomorrow if only we could, but we are still serving the Broad Stripes and Bright Stars!

We definitely know the feeling of humble pride, and we always respect it. As Joe Doer said, it is neither about discount services nor about charity... It is about being simply human and sensitive. It's about noticing who has no problem to pay his/her medical bills, and with whom we might need to skip the payment part of the visit at a given time, while never saying a word about it or mentioning it in any way. You just do it and act like nothing was different than usually... It's how mutual services and great friendships are created! No feelings are hurt and no dignity is harmed...

We are fascinated by everything we have heard so far about Montana and Montanans. In fact I can even imagine us being as protective about Montana as you are, once we live there for a while! Too much inside and outside beauty to be lost!

Many Blessings to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana