Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 10:40 PM

166 posts, read 154,510 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Calif and have snow about 1/3 of the year. To the point it's difficult to get over the pass to the closest town of Truckee to work. Many seasonal jobs but they are afraid I may not be able to get to work.

We are sick of the prices here. Homesteading is very difficult too with the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 10:24 AM

8,373 posts, read 8,587,411 times
Thompson Falls is pretty good weather / land for growing food for home use compared to most of state. But still short growing season and tough compared to many other states. Home prices and rents are cheaper than national average but not give away. 1400 people in town, 12k in county. Not a big or great economy but most make it work to some degree.

Could also look outside Great Falls. Even as far at White Sulphur Springs. Or Augusta or Choteau. Or Lewistown or outside it. Harlowtown if you are willing to be that remote. Conrad. Shelby.

Or Superior / St. Regis.

Townsend or Wolf Creek.

Or maybe Columbus MT. Or Miles City.

Or Dillon for less snow at home. Or Darby for more.

You might also look at outlying areas near Twin Falls ID. Real cheap property near Glenns Ferry and some other isolated pockets. Closer to TF, prices get normal / growing. Not in mountains but fairly close. Or Weiser ID. Or Burley.

Other possibilities in Oregon include outside Prineville, Madras, John Day, Baker City, Heppner...

A few spots in Colorado might work. Outside Craig (except to the east). Rangely. Maybe Delta / Cedaredge / Crawford. Outside Trinidad. Fort Morgan. Saguache. Outside Cortez (especially northwest). Aztec NM.

Outlying areas of Black Hills. Eastern Wyoming. Dickinson ND.

Hard to be sure what to recommend until you say something about size of immediate community, how close to how big a city, housing price range, how important mountains / trees are, etc.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-04-2021 at 10:56 AM..

Old 11-04-2021, 03:41 PM

Just greened you NW Crow. Thanks so much for the abundance of info! I am on it...

Old 11-04-2021, 09:23 PM

You are welcome. If particular spots interest you, ask for more info. Various people could contribute on specific spots and specific questions. Old threads may be useful to browse / search out as well.

Check into a few at first. Then if there are dealbreakers, look to find a place that fixes that issue. Step by step you may get closer.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:28 AM

The homes in those locations are not inexpensive enough to bother moving. I am looking at Kansas now. Thanks again

Last edited by OnProbation; 11-05-2021 at 10:09 AM..

Old 11-05-2021, 10:38 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,326,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnProbation View Post
The homes in those locations are not inexpensive enough to bother moving. I am looking at Kansas now. Thanks again
Smart move. KS or someplace else in 'The Heartland' area might be a good stopgap until things pull back. We're stuck in the melt-up as the Fed has no intention of meaningful tapering or rate increases, so the madness will continue.

Here in the Flathead, the 'Zoom Boom' hit us hard. Housing options are suddenly slim to none for anyone but millionaires and billionaires. Rental options also extremely limited due to AirBnB, VRBO, etc. which can make a landlord a lot more profit (nothing wrong with that, but it inadvertently hurts the working class).

We like our property, but inside of a couple years, we suddenly find ourselves with no viable options to be a little further away from the ever-expanding noise and hustle/bustle of a growing Valley. I guess there's worse places to be, but we're saddened by the direction things are going here.

As I understand, it's like this everywhere around the PNW & Intermountain West.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:42 PM

I don't know how you define "dirt cheap".

Indeed some places I mentioned are not dirt cheap (big jumps from past, bigger than I realized, advantage early birds) but average home price in Shelby MT is reputably $112.5k, or 39% of national average ($291k). Almost same for Harlowtown. MT and Walsenburg CO (near Trinidad) and Dove Creek CO (northwest of Cortez. Some other places mentioned have average prices in $150k range.

Even where average price is too high, there will be some more affordable on lower end.

The average home price in Rushville Nebraska (east of Chardon) is $70k. Hyannis NE. $61k. Phillipsburg KS, $67k.

Need to check real estate sites to see what money buys of course.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-05-2021 at 02:03 PM..

Old 11-06-2021, 08:06 AM

1,761 posts, read 859,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnProbation View Post
You probably should look into southeast Oklahoma. Trees, cheap land, everyone carries a gun and no one frowns on you marrying your second cousin either. In all honesty it’s a beautiful area too hot for me in the summer. If the temps get over 70 I’m looking for shade and a cool beverage.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:16 AM

1,761 posts, read 859,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I don't know how you define "dirt cheap".

Indeed some places I mentioned are not dirt cheap (big jumps from past, bigger than I realized, advantage early birds) but average home price in Shelby MT is reputably $112.5k, or 39% of national average ($291k). Almost same for Harlowtown. MT and Walsenburg CO (near Trinidad) and Dove Creek CO (northwest of Cortez. Some other places mentioned have average prices in $150k range.

Even where average price is too high, there will be some more affordable on lower end.

The average home price in Rushville Nebraska (east of Chardon) is $70k. Hyannis NE. $61k. Phillipsburg KS, $67k.

Need to check real estate sites to see what money buys of course.

I read your posts with great interests. I’m still looking for my spot in NW Montana. Forested with water, off grid but on the road system, spring, summer, fall accessible. Won’t be using it the winter as that’s when I hit the trade show circuit. Ideas or suggestions welcome.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:52 AM

Depends on same things I asked the OP. Size of immediate community, distance to bigger place, how big. Housing price. Etc.

5 - 20 - 45 - 70 miles from Kalispell could work for some. Some variety. From Bigfork and Whitefish to Columbia Falls, Eureka, Kila, Swan Valley, Ashley Lake, Lakeside...

Sometimes I'll guess in advance but you or anyone will get better recommendations from me or others the more specific the criteria you list.

Outside Libby, Darby, Philipsburg, Seeley Lake / Ovando, Divide, Whitehall,Twin Bridges, Ennis, West Yellowstone... could work for some, some better than others based on your mix of criteria.

You want water. Ok. Stream, river, small lake, big lake or all of the above?

"On the road system". How much? On County road or just close? Within 2 to 10 miles of state highway? 5-20-50 miles to US highway or have to be near Interstate?

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-06-2021 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana