Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:29 AM

10 posts, read 23,911 times

Advertisements

hello..does anybody know anything about Ryegate, MT??? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 12:28 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,062,717 times
A tiny town on the Mussleshell river, not too far from Billings.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:19 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,639 times
what do you want to know?i dont think there is much to know,my grandfather was born in harlowton to the west of there and i have relatives that still ranch there and around shawmut just to the west.ive been through there a bunch of times over the last 40 years.not many people live there,not many businesses there.the 'ryegate testicle festival' is about the biggest annual event,with a rodeo and 'rocky mountain oysters'aplenty to eat.its the county seat of golden valley county and the biggest town in the county,but that doesnt take much since there are only about 1000 people in the county around 250 in ryegate and about 200 in lavina,the rest on scattered ranches.its about 65 miles from billings.anything specific you want to know?

Old 05-29-2008, 06:55 AM

8 posts, read 26,148 times
Default Coming to Lavina

Hi, Imbobbbb,

You seem to know a lot about Golden Valley County. My cousin and I are coming out to Montana from Virginia in August and one place we will be visiting is Lavina. My mother was born there back in 1910. She was related to the Slaytons. We are doing family history research. I am fascinated with pictures I have seen of the area and I can't wait to visit. I used to live in Utah so I'm not unfamiliar with the west, but I think Montana is different. It's hard for Eastern people to imagine towns of 200 people that still exist in modern times. In the East they get all smushed together into suburbs. If you have any interesting tidbits about Golden Valley and particularly Lavina, I would love to hear.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuryB View Post
Hi, Imbobbbb,

You seem to know a lot about Golden Valley County. My cousin and I are coming out to Montana from Virginia in August and one place we will be visiting is Lavina. My mother was born there back in 1910. She was related to the Slaytons. We are doing family history research. I am fascinated with pictures I have seen of the area and I can't wait to visit. I used to live in Utah so I'm not unfamiliar with the west, but I think Montana is different. It's hard for Eastern people to imagine towns of 200 people that still exist in modern times. In the East they get all smushed together into suburbs. If you have any interesting tidbits about Golden Valley and particularly Lavina, I would love to hear.
well i wish i knew more.there isnt much left of lavina anymore but the store on main street i believe is still called the 'slayton mercantile' and its about the only business in town still in business.someone there may be able to direct you to someone with a lot of information.a lot of the oldtimers are no longer with us unfortunately.my great great grandparents and great grandparents ranched in wheatland county just to the west,my grandfather was born in harlowton and my greatuncle continued to ranch around there and shawmut just west of ryegate.i spent many summers there when i was young and have gone back as often as possible since.my cousins still ranch in wheatland county.a lot of people dont see much in the area but i love central and eastern montana

Old 05-31-2008, 10:24 PM

51 posts, read 235,492 times
Default ryegate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasjefferson View Post
hello..does anybody know anything about Ryegate, MT??? Thanks in advance.
Ryegate is a quiet town just off the highway between Harlowton and Billings. Most people go to Harlowton for ease of shopping and socializing. The road to Billings isn't bad in the summer, but the winter can be quite dangerous.

Being near the Musselshell river, there are several species of wildlife--deer, raccoons, skunk, anelope,even moose (they have been known to come into town in Harlow) etc.
From what I've heard (never saw any myself) you need to be watchful of the rattlesnakes also around Ryegate.

If I could afford to live there, I would go back to Harlowton or buy a ranch near Judith Gap.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Hi, Imbobbbb,

if i were you when i got off the plane in billings i would go straight up 87 to roundup and visit the musselshell valley museum as golden valley county was formed from musselshell and stillwater counties about 1920.lavina was part of musselshell county when your mother was born and people in these small town museums are generally real helpful to those with a local connection.from roundup you just take 12 west to lavina.if you have time on your way to helena you should stop at the upper mussellshell museum in harlowton as they may have some interesting info also.one of the ladies that runs it lives in shawmut,close to the county line.you may also want to stop in the courthouse in ryegate,in such a small county they often arent overworked and may have some records of interest to you.have fun

Old 06-04-2008, 11:24 AM

8 posts, read 26,148 times
Thank you so much for the information. This is great. I'm sure we will follow your advice about the museums in Musselshell Valley. We'll definitely check out Ryegate. Can't wait!

Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Here's a little something about Ryegate I found right here on City Data. Don't know if you've seen it or if it's much help.

Ryegate

Old 06-15-2008, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,451 times
Quote:
Hi, Imbobbbb,

The Slayton Mercantile in Lavina was started by the Slayton family. It's no longer functioning as a store and is also no longer owned by any members of the Slayton family but was operated as a store until about 2004. The building is on the MT Historical Register and is 97 years old. The business records for this business are in Helena, MT and are in the state historical archives so if you make it to Helena, you can view them there. My partner and I are currently in the process of trying to purchase the Slayton Mercantile building so if we're successful, we'd be happy to give you a tour through the building while you're in Lavina.

Hope you enjoy your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana