Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 02:13 PM

20 posts, read 36,145 times

Advertisements

So, my family moved to Troy when I was in high school, got married directly after and lived in Noxon for several years. Moved to Missoula, then the Army, then back to Missoula (which I did not like... too much city for me). So then life happened and moved away, all around the country and most recently Indiana where I've lived for the past 7 years. All in all I've probably lived about a combined total of 9 years or so in Montana and the rest just about everywhere else (I'm 51 now). So last year, I finally was able to purchase 7 acres of undeveloped land in the Eureka area. I'm currently in Indiana but planning the move to MT for next Spring (cuz we all know not to move to NW MT in the Fall if you aren't ready for winter).. So I guess my question is, or my concern really, is that maybe my idealized remembrance of Montana in the mid 80's, has changed too drastically for me recognize her as she is today? It's a little late I guess since the property is already purchased but just looking for some local insight into what has changed drastically between 1985 and now? Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 04:16 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Little Montana towns like Eureka have probably changed a lot to the people that live there, but truly much has stayed the same. I am not familiar with Eureka other than I think it looks like a sweet area to live in. Missoula & Kalispell have just spread out more. Kalispell has changed the most with the addition of the usual strip of national box stores. But it does now have a Costco, which is handy for rural grocery shoppers who like to stock up.

Old 06-12-2020, 04:48 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
The sawmill have closed and the economy that was so dependant on logging has suffered.

There's still a lot of good people there. Fishing and hunting are fabulous, the country is beyond beautiful, wildlife is everywhere, as long as you have an income, it's a little slice of heaven on earth.

Won't see any brownshirts rioting in Eureka, too many grizzly bear to feed.

Old 06-12-2020, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the response. I can't imagine people have changed too much, or at least I hope not. I'm conservative libertarian (if that's even a thing) and part of my worry is that some of the "live and let live" attitude that I like so much will have changed. With the recent events and riots and such, I am really longing to get away from all these people acting like fools and get back to what I remember of Montana.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:49 PM

137 posts, read 153,217 times
Eureka is a neat area but rather remote. I went through that area in the winter time and its pretty dark and cloudy a lot of the time. Are you retired early or ? Your age is a tough age to show up in a small town and get a decent job woth health care.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:55 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

I love this "brownshirts" quote. Tried to rep but was denied.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:45 PM

177 posts, read 125,026 times
Nothing stays the same. Nothing.

If you go back with an open mind and accept things the way they are, you will likely be quite happy. IMO if you lament for "how it was" or expect it to always be that way, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I will wager everything will be just fine and your memories of back then will live right alongside all the new memories you make.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
Eureka is a neat area but rather remote. I went through that area in the winter time and its pretty dark and cloudy a lot of the time. Are you retired early or ? Your age is a tough age to show up in a small town and get a decent job woth health care.
Remote is actually part of the appeal for me. I am not retired but I have my own health insurance through my military service so that isn't really a concern. It's more of a concern that health services would be a bit of a drive if I need them but as of now, I don't. No medications and no health problems at all... probably on borrowed time in that regard but its something I've defiantly considered.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

I'm excited about the lack of brownshirts. LOL!

Old 06-13-2020, 07:12 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cominghome68 View Post
I'm excited about the lack of brownshirts. LOL!
Not a lot of patience with that kind of crap in Eureka, have to go to Missoula for that kind of idiocy.

Live and let live, you do your thing and I'll do mine are pretty much still the way of life in much of Montana away from places like Bozeman and Missoula which are college towns and their "wokeness" pretty much ends at city limits.

Most of the state is still comprised of good, solid, moral people that will go out of their way to help you.
Just be a good neighbor, respect them and our way of life, be friendly and offer assistance when your neighbors need it, you'll do fine here.

It helps to remember that Montana is a small community connected by very long streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana