Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 07:03 AM

12,914 posts, read 18,756,320 times

Advertisements

My good friend of four decades and his spouse moved from DC to Thompson Falls a couple of years ago. He lived in MT from seventh grade through high school, and finally made the big move back. While I moved back to South Carolina after five years in DC, he stayed all those years, recently calling it just "a holding pattern" for him until after retirement.

They drive to Flat Head Lake a good bit. The reason I bring Thompson Falls up is to get any feedback about the town that anyone wishes to share, and to say that, while it is removed from the Lake, he says the winter weather there is not as brutal as the weather people normally associate with MT. He calls it the banana belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2022, 11:50 AM

137 posts, read 154,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
My good friend of four decades and his spouse moved from DC to Thompson Falls a couple of years ago. He lived in MT from seventh grade through high school, and finally made the big move back. While I moved back to South Carolina after five years in DC, he stayed all those years, recently calling it just "a holding pattern" for him until after retirement.

They drive to Flat Head Lake a good bit. The reason I bring Thompson Falls up is to get any feedback about the town that anyone wishes to share, and to say that, while it is removed from the Lake, he says the winter weather there is not as brutal as the weather people normally associate with MT. He calls it the banana belt.
I like that area a lot myself other 2 issues. A lot of drugged out methheads and it's major hub for railways so there is a lot of train nose that echo's through the mountains and its hard to escape all that noise.

Old 08-13-2022, 04:02 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
There is train noise all along the rivers of NW MT. Unless you're less than 1/2 mile from the tracks, you get used to it. Thompson Falls is a great little community, at least for visiting. We travel through a couple of times every summer, and we always stop for lunch. The drive from Plains to Sandpoint (ID) along the river is one of the most spectacular in the entire NW.

The "banana belt" has some relative truth to it. The Clark Fork River and the dams help raise the winter temps, and being on the Pacific side of the Divide protects from the harsher winter temperatures of the eastern portion of the state.

Old 09-01-2022, 08:40 AM

202 posts, read 187,609 times
Curious why you're leaving Prescott...it was on our retirement places list

Old 09-01-2022, 09:19 AM

Jumping into thread late but have some similar questions. Looking to retire early next year. I think we're pretty realistic that a climate like whats described here would NOT be workable for a full year - maybe 3-4 months it sounds. We are not into winter sports (or winter in general). Want a peaceful, relaxing environment with water, tall trees, hiking (and if possible) not overly remote. It would be our summer place when living in NC or SC gets too hot and humid.

So what can work? I don't want to invest in a "year round home" with all the costs and taxes and upkeep that go with that if we're only there 3 months/yr. Would we be better off in an RV? Would there be decent places to park it near the lake (not in some crappy RV park)? AirBNB seems too expensive for 3 months, and not going to build, or buy and rent out.

So it mostly boils down to suggestions based on an annual, short-term (summer months) stay.

Old 09-01-2022, 11:37 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,107,463 times
If you don't want to be in a RV Park then you are looking at buying land, putting in electric, well, septic, etc. and maybe building a garage or shop. But leaving that unattended for 8 - 9 month a year leaves you open to squatters or thieves. I'm guessing a "nice" RV park would be your best solution.

Old 09-01-2022, 11:38 AM

Agreed - and any idea which ones qualify?

Old 09-01-2022, 04:45 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Strong reviews
https://www.glaciercamping.com/rates

Somewhat mixed reviews
https://www.montanabasecamp.com/

Different style option near Bigfork
https://www.bigforkmotorcoachresort.com/

Lots of other options
https://www.google.com/search?q=best...trex_id:dzATld

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-01-2022 at 04:56 PM..

Old 09-01-2022, 04:49 PM

Hey Crow - thanks for this info!! I'll check them out.

Old 09-01-2022, 06:27 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
If you don't want to be in a RV Park then you are looking at buying land, putting in electric, well, septic, etc. and maybe building a garage or shop. But leaving that unattended for 8 - 9 month a year leaves you open to squatters or thieves. I'm guessing a "nice" RV park would be your best solution.
Can be done, with a willingness to compromise. For a summer vacation home solar and a generator can be all you need, and for 3 months or so you can subscribe to water delivery, or haul water from a municipal source yourself. You don't need a well, and then you won't have to worry about winterizing the plumbing. It doesn't cost much to get a large shed put on a pad on the property for those tools one doesn't want to haul across country every year, as well as the generator, with another pad built for an RV. For a summer refuge I think that would be sufficient, and then you'll have the joy of being on your own land. We lived under similar conditions in a travel trailer on our property for several summers until we got the house built. And if one can work it out with neighbors to keep an eye on the place, and install a webcam with a long lasting battery, then one can minimize the risk of squatters/thieves.

Our neighbor built a pole barn first, with septic, plumbing, and a small apartment, and lived there while he was building his house. If he had only wanted to be there during the summers, the pole barn would have been all he needed, so that's another solution.

But I have to say that the process of researching bare land properties should be as diligent as if one is building a forever home: Length of driveway, distance to the nearest town, quality of soil/risk of flooding, crime statistics of the region, and so forth.

I'm partial to Highway 200 and the Trout Creek area--remote, but with basic stores, fabulous views, and fishing--and here are 3 acres of bare land in the woods, with views:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2946807163
Quote:
3 Acres with great access and an RV pad already on the property! All flat and useable, would be a perfect parcel to put your dream home on or use recreationally. Minutes away from the Clark Fork River. Very light covenants. Bring your horses and chickens! Trout Creek and the surrounding area offer a large variety of outdoor activities: hunting, fishing, watersports, lots of hiking trails. This lot is close to Trout Creek and all it has to offer, but it feels like you're secluded in the woods all at the same time. Property corners are marked and easy to find. Don't miss out on your chance to get your very own 3 acres of Sanders County!
Just to get your imagination going!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana