Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 03:01 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,074 times

Advertisements

We have put off this drive due to weather. We are actually driving to Albany, OR and planned to cut off at Butte to I-15 then west 84 as it seemed like “safer” less mountainous way even if add a few hours.
Looking at weather though it doesn’t look so pretty. I know at this time nothing looks pretty but I HAVE to get there! And only by vehicle.
My question to people who drive either route in winter, mostly focusing now on the Spokane way. If I take the faster way to Spokane then shoot down to Oregon and both Sat/Sun have no weather like rain or snow does this mean nothing? I only say this as I know there will be both in previous days and doesn’t mean it will be as clear as I’d like to think it would be. This area I am speaking of is mostly Missoula to Spokane as the first leg of MT looks to be good. Please, any advice I’m stressing!
Oh yeah, we are driving a minivan with all weather tires, no AWD or 4x4(not sure our type if Rwd or fwd). Pretty good traction in snow. Driver is experienced a truck driver in ND. Me I am a nervous wreck in any mountain drive regardless of time of year. We will have chains(but don’t want to use!) Most important we are not too rushed and can chill a few days along the way if need be. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 04:29 PM

454 posts, read 305,449 times
The roads are pretty good right now, most of the snow and ice are melted.
I usually do I90 because it's good 4 lane and plowed.

If you go between snow storms, you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 12-26-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
The roads are pretty good right now, most of the snow and ice are melted.
I usually do I90 because it's good 4 lane and plowed.

If you go between snow storms, you shouldn't have any problems.
I am so happy to hear this. Is there any parts to watch for from Missoula to Spokane? Thanks!

Old 12-26-2022, 09:42 PM

454 posts, read 305,449 times
4th of July pass can be tricky even dry, Homestake Pass at Butte can go good to bad in a matter of 20 .inutes.
Don't let your guard down on any mountain pass.

But you should have no problems.

I always recommend carrying a survival kit in your car anytime you take a road trip. Some blankets, food, water, maybe a heat source and a bucket of can if you're stuck and can't do your business outside. A flashlight, shovel, tire chains or kitty litter are good too as well as warm clothes and good gloves.

Take what you think you'll need, but being prepared is the best way to get there safely when traveling in winter cause sometimes, "stuff" happens.

Old 12-27-2022, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
4th of July pass can be tricky even dry, Homestake Pass at Butte can go good to bad in a matter of 20 .inutes.
Don't let your guard down on any mountain pass.

But you should have no problems.

I always recommend carrying a survival kit in your car anytime you take a road trip. Some blankets, food, water, maybe a heat source and a bucket of can if you're stuck and can't do your business outside. A flashlight, shovel, tire chains or kitty litter are good too as well as warm clothes and good gloves.

Take what you think you'll need, but being prepared is the best way to get there safely when traveling in winter cause sometimes, "stuff" happens.
Great advice. Have some stuff you listed and will get the rest before going. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2022, 10:25 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
If Lookout and 4th of July look bad, you can bypass both by cutting up from 90 to 200 on 125 at St Regis, and go 200 east into Sandpoint, and take 95 to 90 into Spokane (or 2 all the way into Spokane from the north). There are no passes on 200, it's all along Clark Fork River and Lake Pend Oreille, but the 2 lane road can be icy. If you have good visibility, it's a beautiful drive. It will add about 2 hours to your drive.

Old 12-27-2022, 02:33 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
Looking at the 10 day forecast shows some overnight snow then warming to rain in the afternoon in Missoula, MT and Wallace, ID (small town you'll pass by on I90). After Missoula the first pass you hit is Lookout Pass. There is a small ski resort there and here is their NOAA forecast.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...4#.Y2nnVOzMLzc

Then you drop down into Wallace, Kellogg and other towns in the valley before climbing 4th of July Pass. Idaho511 will give you a wealth of road and weather conditions for your route, to include traffic/highway cameras.

https://511.idaho.gov/@-115.6969,45....ountain-passes

Good luck on your drive. If you decide to go south on I-15 you can turn off at Dubois, ID and cut cross-country to Arco, Carry, Gooding and then pick up I84 at Bliss. It's not a bad two lane road route that I've done several times in Dec/Jan. Then your are generally OK until Baker City, OR to Pendleton OR over the Blue Mt passes. Just another option to investigate.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
If Lookout and 4th of July look bad, you can bypass both by cutting up from 90 to 200 on 125 at St Regis, and go 200 east into Sandpoint, and take 95 to 90 into Spokane (or 2 all the way into Spokane from the north). There are no passes on 200, it's all along Clark Fork River and Lake Pend Oreille, but the 2 lane road can be icy. If you have good visibility, it's a beautiful drive. It will add about 2 hours to your drive.
Thanks for this option. I will look into it

Old 01-01-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Looking at the 10 day forecast shows some overnight snow then warming to rain in the afternoon in Missoula, MT and Wallace, ID (small town you'll pass by on I90). After Missoula the first pass you hit is Lookout Pass. There is a small ski resort there and here is their NOAA forecast.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...4#.Y2nnVOzMLzc

Then you drop down into Wallace, Kellogg and other towns in the valley before climbing 4th of July Pass. Idaho511 will give you a wealth of road and weather conditions for your route, to include traffic/highway cameras.

https://511.idaho.gov/@-115.6969,45....ountain-passes

Good luck on your drive. If you decide to go south on I-15 you can turn off at Dubois, ID and cut cross-country to Arco, Carry, Gooding and then pick up I84 at Bliss. It's not a bad two lane road route that I've done several times in Dec/Jan. Then your are generally OK until Baker City, OR to Pendleton OR over the Blue Mt passes. Just another option to investigate.
Thanks for these links I will use them. We have been slightly delayed but have made to Billings. Will be here until mid week. If only the rest of drive was just like here , there is barely snow lol. Since we have a delay I am wondering now if it is best to wait and go via 15. Would that be off Bozeman area? Will look into that. Thanks!

Old 01-01-2023, 12:20 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
Thanks for this option. I will look into it
Sorry, I meant 200 west into Sandpoint. Duh. I've had a few busy days! Have a good, safe trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana