Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 12:19 PM

8 posts, read 15,988 times

Advertisements

I am not sure where or how to post such a broad based question as mine, but perhaps someone could help.

My wife and two sons, 7 and 4, and I are looking to move from Dallas. I have been here since 1989 and I am just ready for a change of scenery. Dallas is a very livable city and quality of life is actually excellent, but I am tired of the terrain, the traffic, the urban sprawl. I am looking for more natural beauty in a smaller and less-congested town out West.

I am a retail commercial real estate broker and my wife works in an art gallery. I need to continue working in the same field, and would consider augmenting my niche with ranch and/or residential sales. We are looking for relatively mild climate, great natural beauty and opportunity for outdoor recreation, preferably a quaint and historic downtown with some history, reasonable housing price and cost of living, some retail shopping center growth (which means reasonable population growth), decent private schools, less urban sprawl (where I can be out of town quicker on the motorcycle or on a quick trip through a forest or up a mountain on a hike or fishing), and overall pleasant quality of life and a little slower pace and less pretentious than Dallas.

The states that I would consider are New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. Towns in particular that have piqued my interest are, in no particular order: Santa Fe, Durango, Colorado Springs, Eagle, Grand Junction, Laramie, Bozeman, Boise, Flagstaff, Prescott.

Also, if I can't resolve the career issue in one of these smaller towns, would Denver or Phoenix be a significant enough change from Dallas (smaller overall metro area, less population, less traffic and urban sprawl) to consider?

Any info that anyone has would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 12:33 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,133,379 times
I've lived in Dallas and know exactly how you feel.

As far as small towns fullfilling your work, I wouldn't worry with towns that are 15,000 or so. Most towns that size, also handle the realistate for the surrounding small towns.

As long as you come in with a good attitude and a good outlook on life, you'll do well. Just don't try and bring attitude and Dallas with you. haha

I'd say that the Majority of schools are outstanding. Haven't heard too much bad about any of them.

I'd vote against Denver and Phoenix. You'd just be moving from one plugged up metropolis to another one. Maybe some of the burbs a short distance away is better. Certainly better for Realistate developement.

Good luck.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:31 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,763,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris214 View Post
I am a retail commercial real estate broker and my wife works in an art gallery. I need to continue working in the same field, and would consider augmenting my niche with ranch and/or residential sales.

We are looking for relatively mild climate, great natural beauty and opportunity for outdoor recreation, preferably a quaint and historic downtown with some history, reasonable housing price and cost of living, some retail shopping center growth (which means reasonable population growth), decent private schools, less urban sprawl (where I can be out of town quicker on the motorcycle or on a quick trip through a forest or up a mountain on a hike or fishing), and overall pleasant quality of life and a little slower pace and less pretentious than Dallas.
I'll try to discuss the things I highlighted in your quote above.

The big question is what do you define as a mild climate? Nowhere in Montana you will find a mild climate compared to Denver. Our winters are long and hard. in Bozeman, I experienced the coldest temperature of my life when the thermometer dropped to 32 degrees below zero, excluding wind chill. You'll have high winds, blizzards, and it's generally a challenging winter to go through. But what else do you expect in Montana?

As far as jobs, art gallery jobs that pay decent will be difficult in Montana. Most pay very little. I have no idea what the actual pay is, but would speculate that it is $6 - $12 per hour. Since your wife wants to stay in the field, I'm assuming that she is paid decent in Dallas.

Commerical real estate - there is commerical real estate all over the country. Be aware the Bozeman city council does not like Big Box stores and strip malls. They banned them a few years back (2003) but I haven't followed the more recent developments. In general they don't like them.

Reasonable cost of living - all depends on your experience in Dallas, but Bozeman area is one of the most expensive in Montana. It may be expensive by your standards or may be cheap, all depends on your perspective.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,781 times
Default life long westerner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris214 View Post
I am not sure where or how to post such a broad based question as mine, but perhaps someone could help.

My wife and two sons, 7 and 4, and I are looking to move from Dallas. I have been here since 1989 and I am just ready for a change of scenery. Dallas is a very livable city and quality of life is actually excellent, but I am tired of the terrain, the traffic, the urban sprawl. I am looking for more natural beauty in a smaller and less-congested town out West.

I am a retail commercial real estate broker and my wife works in an art gallery. I need to continue working in the same field, and would consider augmenting my niche with ranch and/or residential sales. We are looking for relatively mild climate, great natural beauty and opportunity for outdoor recreation, preferably a quaint and historic downtown with some history, reasonable housing price and cost of living, some retail shopping center growth (which means reasonable population growth), decent private schools, less urban sprawl (where I can be out of town quicker on the motorcycle or on a quick trip through a forest or up a mountain on a hike or fishing), and overall pleasant quality of life and a little slower pace and less pretentious than Dallas.

The states that I would consider are New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. Towns in particular that have piqued my interest are, in no particular order: Santa Fe, Durango, Colorado Springs, Eagle, Grand Junction, Laramie, Bozeman, Boise, Flagstaff, Prescott.

Also, if I can't resolve the career issue in one of these smaller towns, would Denver or Phoenix be a significant enough change from Dallas (smaller overall metro area, less population, less traffic and urban sprawl) to consider?

Any info that anyone has would be much appreciated.
I've lived in New Mexico, Colorado and now Montana and i've been to all the towns on your list. My take...

If you only want to change scenery and not lifestyle, then go with Denver or Phoenix. But i agree with the other guy...you'll be moving from one giant, spread out congested mess to another (yes, they are smaller than Dallas, but not by much). I got nothing against them (I just left Denver). They have all the great amenities to love in a big city. I just needed some small town life.

Regarding the smaller towns on your list...

Santa Fe has a lot of charm...when your a tourist. When you live there, you will notice the great disparity between the very rich minority and the very poor majority. There is really no middle class. People who have lived in Northern New Mexico for generations (I have family there who are leaving very soon) are being forced out by rich easterners who want a their piece of New Mexico. It makes for an uncomfortable overall situation.

From the time I have spent there, Bozeman and Flagstaff are great mountain and college towns with a lot of vibrance and charm. Laramie is too, but it's a lot more of a cowtown.

A great compromise between between big cities and small towns (and a big change from Dallas) is Boise, Idaho and Fort Collins, Colorado. These are both mountain towns with charm, small town feel, outdoor opportunities abound and some amenities you would find in large cities (in Ft. Collins, if you want big city amenities, just drive 60 miles south to Denver). Ft. Collins' downtown is amazingly preserved. It is where I hope to end up some day.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:56 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,175,281 times
No offense, but we don't need any more people trying to make money buying and selling land here in Montana. There is probably 4 realtors and 3 brokers for every listing and cost of living is through the roof already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: