Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 10:51 PM

29 posts, read 128,500 times

Advertisements

Any information on North central Montana would be valuable.

Weather?
Land / home prices?
Taxes?
Food prices?
Entertainment prices?
Freedom to carry gun?
People? (are they ok with new people moving in?)

Any info at all is appreciated, thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 12:07 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Damn, a post or two will answer all you questions. Do a search.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewest View Post
Any information on North central Montana would be valuable.

Weather?
Rain,sun, wind and snow. Right now it's dark with scattered daylight and forcast for full daylight soon with scattered darkness this evening.
Quote:
Land / home prices?
depends on what you want. From $110k to $5 million
Quote:
Taxes?
Yes
Quote:
Food prices?
Like everywhere else, expensive.
Quote:
Entertainment prices?
Depends what you consider intertainment
Quote:
Freedom to carry gun?
Yes for the most part
Quote:
People? (are they ok with new people moving in?)
Depends who's moving in

Quote:
Any info at all is appreciated, thank you.
Like Elk said, do a search. There's been many a looooong thread dealing with these questions for almost every area of this state.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:12 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
The cost of entertainment for me is pretty low. A six pack and a lawn chair is pretty cheap ! I know that food prices are a lot less here in Conrad than they are on the west side. I may write down some examples of prices when I go to the store today and I'll make a post on this thread or I'll make a new one but I'll try to list the prices of the common items we all buy. You may be surprised at how low priced some things are here.
Two examples I can give you now is a dog tag in Conrad is $4.00 and a business licence is only $20.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:56 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Damn, a post or two will answer all you questions. Do a search.
Hey, this is a really nice post, especially coming from a moderator.
Thumbs down.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:04 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,755,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Hey, this is a really nice post, especially coming from a moderator.
Thumbs down.
It gets tiresome for those of us to frequently post answers to the same questions day in and day out. I've seen moderators on other states say the same thing as well.

I just can about place money on what questions someone will ask the first post:

"What is xxxx like"
"Are winters in Montana hard?"
"I don't like snow, should I move to Montana?"
"How do flower and vegetable gardens grow in Montana?"
"What's traffic like?"

These questions have been answered a bunch of times already and a person can quickly do a search to find the answer. Now I understand that some people will see a response about winters in Bozeman and they really want to know about winters in Belgrade, or they see a response on traffic in Kalispell and they are specifically asking for traffic questions in Bigfork, but it's all the same, more or less.

So all of you can just about guess what my answer is to these questions:

"Visit first, but not just during the summer. Make sure you visit in January/February to make sure you like the winters here."

Old 07-25-2008, 11:46 AM

139 posts, read 472,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
It gets tiresome for those of us to frequently post answers to the same questions day in and day out. I've seen moderators on other states say the same thing as well.

"What is xxxx like"
"What's traffic like?"

These questions have been answered a bunch of times already and a person can quickly do a search to find the answer. Now I understand that some people will see a response about winters in Bozeman and they really want to know about winters in Belgrade, or they see a response on traffic in Kalispell and they are specifically asking for traffic questions in Bigfork, but it's all the same, more or less.

"Visit first, but not just during the summer. Make sure you visit in January/February to make sure you like the winters here."

Make a Sticky that says; "All possible questions have been asked. Please research for your answers."

...no more moderator worries.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post

"What is xxxx like"
"What's traffic like?"

Exactly and don't forget the famous "will people accept me there".

Old 07-26-2008, 10:31 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Like Elk said, do a search. There's been many a looooong thread dealing with these questions for almost every area of this state.
A lot of people who are new to forums, or who didn't grow up with the internet, or aren't technically inclined, don't have any idea how to do an effective search, and may not have any notion that it could bring up information like this.

What a lot of folks (especially mods) on other forums do, is write up a FAQ, and respond to the repetitive newbie questions (which will never go away, since newbies will never stop being born) with either a link to the FAQ, or copy-and-paste from said FAQ. Makes it easy on the old-timers and at least makes the newbie feel welcomed. Conversely, "Do a search and stop wasting our time with tired old questions" invariably feels like "**** off and die" to a relatively green user. They truly don't have any idea why the oldies are mad.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:01 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I'm sorry, bad day. But there has been a plythora of answers on here about the questions asked. Like previously mentioned we get tired of answering the same thing over and over. But we shouldn't. That's what we are here for. So again, I appologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana