Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 01:46 PM

10 posts, read 32,246 times

Advertisements

My story: raised as a military brat, and then joined the Air Force, so I have lived in many, many places in my 40 years...and once I arrived in Great Falls over 4 years ago, I finally found a place to call HOME. It is a wonderful community - great for kids - and believe me, the absolute friendliest people that I have ever encountered, bar none. Nothing fancy about Great Falls - it is a very simple, honest, direct place, with tons of natural beauty (scenery, parks, etc), plenty of different neighborhoods for all types, centrally located, and such.

Come on up - you'll love it! Any questions, e-mail me (or check out www.greaterfalls.com) (broken link).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 03:59 PM

529 posts, read 1,893,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaterfalls View Post
My story: raised as a military brat, and then joined the Air Force, so I have lived in many, many places in my 40 years...and once I arrived in Great Falls over 4 years ago, I finally found a place to call HOME. It is a wonderful community - great for kids - and believe me, the absolute friendliest people that I have ever encountered, bar none. Nothing fancy about Great Falls - it is a very simple, honest, direct place, with tons of natural beauty (scenery, parks, etc), plenty of different neighborhoods for all types, centrally located, and such.

Come on up - you'll love it! Any questions, e-mail me (or check out www.greaterfalls.com) (broken link).
Oh and by the way.......

Your Goose Crossing photo taken on River Drive is "Priceless".....

--------------

And, if you guys ever get the chance...... take a look at GreaterFalls' photo gallery.........

--------------

We've been working quite a bit out at Malmstrom (phase 5 housing) and I'm one that's glad the private security firm is gone.....
There just isn't any feeling in the world greater than watching the Airmen salute the officers as they arrive in the morning at the gate.....
Now, if we can just get things to settle down, so the boys can get out of their combat uniforms and back into their dress uniforms.

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 02-18-2007 at 04:12 PM..

Old 03-01-2007, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,489 times
Default Back after 25 years

I grew up North of town and was gone after highschool. Now after 25 years of living lots of places around the country and a few foreign countries I can only say. HELL yes I'm glad to be back!

But hey, once Montana is in your blood it's there for good. I lived in some pretty "hip" areas... Ashville, NC, Mexico Beach, FL, Marathon (the keys) FL, San Juan PR... and I did enjoy living in those places.. but the people, people, people all the people. If you like the outdoors, and aren't a passionate consumer and you have kids.... Great Falls is hard to beat. As far as the drug scene... it's there... just know where your kids are and who they hang out with.... always.... That's true anywhere.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:10 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times
I went to Lincoln Elementary, East Junior High School (what's with this "middle school" crap? and GFHS, graduated in 1972, and frankly I don't think I've ever come across any more broadly-/better-educated group of people.

This made me think of the nice neighbourhoods these schools are in, and here's an odd thing, I picture GFHS in early winter, when the trees are bare and the snow clouds are just coming in.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:05 PM

9 posts, read 23,821 times
Smile lookin for great falls , bozeman or missoula HELP!!!!

This is part of a posting from Missoula and I hope someone can help. I'm lookin to move to Montana some time in the next two years and needed some constructive advise. I'm finishing nursing school and my family (husband and son) wants to move outa Va beach. I grew up on a big horse farm on the skirts of Va beach and it has since been turned into a housing development. I have read everyones postings about outsiders, raising property taxes with high home sales, newcomers fencing the lands you've hunted for generations and the overall upset feelings of others moving into town. I to have been "pushed out" and want to resume a simple life of working, eating, and enjoying the stars. I lived here my whole life and watched "outsiders" take my land and the horses. Montana seems to have the good ol boy feel and peace of mind I remember. Can you give me a realistic feel for the town of Missoula (politics, school, living and everyday life). We are loyal people and help our neighbors. By and By our neighbors got pushed out too. We're left to fan the flames of gangs, crack and hoodlems. I miss the horses and want my son to grow up grounded in nature. Can anyone help? Population is the main thing pushing us out. We have 436,000 people versus Missoula 60,000 people. We want to find a place were the other neighbor give to the community instead of hinder it. I can't let my child ride his bike for fear someone will kidnap him. Security lock down is in effect for fear of burglery. You get a better job and go to school for a better trade, so you can live in a richer neighborhood to protect your child. Keeping up with the Jones's gets harder and harder and we want to scale back. We have seen Bozeman housing is outragous expecially for property and Missoula postings have made me rethink that area. I crossed your postings about children being accepted in Great Falls and got excited. Can anyone help us?

Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 AM

15 posts, read 65,350 times
I'll jump in here. First, I am not going to knock Missoula and Bozeman. They are generally nice cities and for someone moving from a much larger area, they might be preferable as having more hustle and bustle.

I am born and raised in Great Falls. I like it here. We have seen some growth lately, although it is not the explosive, boomtown growth you see in Missoula, Bozeman, and Kalispell. Great Falls is still a Montana community.

While the realtors have done a good job of pushing the housing prices up, it's still much cheaper than the other parts of the state. For example, we have a 'boatable' river here, the Missouri. You can have a home on the river for half a million dollars. That's a lot of money, but usually waterfront in town is three times that. Two hundred to two fifty will get you some acres and a decent house, I would guess.

Our medical community is one area where we really are seeing a boom. There have been three new buildings constructed in the last couple years, and our hospital is building a $75,000,000.00 addition right now. Contact Benefis Hospital or the Great Falls Clinic regarding employment.

We have our share of problems like anyone else. We have a meth problem, although like everywhere else, it is on the decline. We have a lower class too. The difference is that you are likely to see greater friendships across 'class barriers.' In other words, even though I am a lawyer, I remain friends with many of my high school classmates who didn't go to college. I don't care if they drive nice cars; they're good guys.

It might not be for you, but I like it here. It is a good clean place to raise a family.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:23 AM

9 posts, read 23,821 times
to bigskylaw
Thanks for the info. We are looking for a family place and a place to "call home". I am pleased to see you stayed in your home town. That was something the others have said was a problem when families move out here. They say the parents love it and raise thier kids but then the children have to move out of state for employment. Can you tell me if there is property in the foot hills. I don't know much about Great Falls. We would love to find 10-20 acres yet still be within 30-45 min drive of medical centers?

Old 07-11-2007, 08:42 AM
AKS

10 posts, read 33,059 times
Concerning "Dead Of Winter" It usally stays Summer like untill around mid Oct. then cools down, The coldest often "but not always" is the first week of Jan.,and last about a week or too, but hey LOL weather changes in a bleak of an eye , then well it's bleak for a few months but isn't it always in the north.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcalifornia View Post
We will be moving to Great Falls from California in the summer of 2007. We've checked out all the basics: homes, schools, jobs, taxes, weather, etc., but what is your overall opinion of the Great Falls community? Any insight would be extremely helpful. And just how bad are the winters? Are we talking snowed-in days or are they pretty mild?

Old 07-11-2007, 10:53 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times
I've been snowed in for a day or two when I lived near Belgrade/Bozeman, usually happened once every 3rd or 4th winter. In Great Falls I can only recall one time when we couldn't get around, and that was during the Great Winter of 1968-69.

Of course, having grown up in MT, my idea of "snowed in" means "even the heavy plows can't move". A foot of snow or even a blizzard meant nothing, I'd just go right on about my business. If MT shut down for what California calls a "snow day", the whole state would grind to a halt every winter. You just don't do that when it's part of your regular climate.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 741 times
I have lived in a lot of cites and small towns, most of it in Great Falls, MT. I can honestly and personally say that I have never been anywhere that I hated so much, I mean the only people you have there are the elderly, and the drug-addicts, and very few people who are considerate and successful. As someone posted "the cops are military rejects" I will have to agree. I've seen multiple cops just drive by, or even smoke pot, crack, meth, ect. with 12-year-olds, let people speed, or do whatever they want, as long as their not messing with the officer him/herself. One time some lady hit my car in my schools parking lot, and then hit someone else's, almost hit a pedestrian in the processes, then got out and you can see she was obviously high. I called the cops and it took them an hour to arrive, and they just let her go. If the cops are this corrupt at work, I hate to see them off duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana