U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,111 times

Advertisements

[quote=trappersden;595285]We jokingly call Saco "the mosquito capital" because of it's very abundant and very large mosquitoes. Had to haul horses through there one night and it sounded like someone throwing handfuls of gravel at the windshield, which turned out to be the mighty mosquitoes. Not much in Saco or surrounding areas.

Humph! I wonder if they really are that big even if Grandfather use to live on the Milk River in fact he has been mentioned in many stories of his own childhood course now not every kid would care have their own fingers blown off with firecrackers now would they?

Just how big do these things get ... knowing I lived on the green river in WY they can seem big but there it was gnat's that got the blood before the mosquito's...

Grandfather was a good friend of Chet Huntley and that ol' buffalo rock was found by him way back when he was a herding sheep as well he had found a journal which we think was the base of the Dances with Wolves Movie. The Journal was borrowed via brother whom never got them back from a Professor whom I am thinking my step grandmother may have hooked that brother up with....since she had a sister that was always in school in Berkley CA and married to a Barkin in fact his niece was Ellen Barkin the actress.... I just had to laugh at what you mentioned and I often toy with moving to Montana which I should of years ago... sheep cattle the likes make my head think fresh air big wide open spaces.... and a part of grandfather for the rest of my life... I really should get to sleep and then get one with my dreams of placing great grandmother's diaries into a form of paper.... over 50 years of weather whom came out the farm where she went how she if feeling and just plain hard work for a sheep herders wife Ranching wife of the yesterdays era not the same as todays I swear by God to that from the way it sounds they worked even harder thrushing that golden grain... or just heading over to the Rankin's to get o' Blue the horse they used the most Gee did I even mention she was ol' TB Longs sister in Law for a time let me refresh ya memory TB Long wrote a few books of his days the first one was 70 Years a Cowboy....

SACO, MONTANA a mine of rich history for those whom branch out from there ..... Family is all it means to us whom have branched out! They were the Ball family whom moved to Saco in 1900's Grandfather was born in the shack house that they all built back then in 1908-9 his twin brother later... Great grandmother did the wash for the town folk women whom did not wish to etc Ironing and even worked at the Ranches as a cook or just moving the herding camp or the house for that matter or cooking for the road crews of taking supplies out the men at the sheep camp..... even cleaning sounded like an all day job...Oh my family don't just stop there my mothers were old homesteaders of Keota, Colorado now ghost town as well.... only three family's there now days... but her cousins married into the family of Mr Rodeo of yesterdays Rodeo's... Thank the lord for computers for there is so much I have found out just sitting at home being a scatter brain.... Yea Saco is still a good town for the railroad still flows through town.... I know I rode through twice ... the first time back to Missouri I was a sleep and missed it all but on the way back oh man don't blink ! No wonder I missed it the first time I must of blinked!

Hope you enjoyed this little bit of history that I have added for the fun of it all.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 07:58 AM

24 posts, read 58,328 times
The times that I have been to the Saco area for my job, I have also noted the abundance of mosquitoes. There a number of places in the area where the water tends to stand. If you tied someone to a fence post out there, they would probably be an empty husk by morning. LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana