Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times

Advertisements

Besides me?
I don't listen to this radio station anymore after hearing some of off the wall things he and others have said including many a rant about other countries needing to disappear to put it nicely.
This just came out in the Daily Interlake:

"Court orders man to remove swastika signs
Posted: Monday, Jul 07, 2008 - 11:55:15 pm MDT
By JOHN STANGThe Daily Inter Lake

Neighbors of Kalispell radio host John Stokes recently won a legal decision to force him to remove his Nazi-themed signs near their property.

Stokes is contesting the ruling, claiming some of the final plaintiffs’ motions were mailed to the wrong post-office box.

And a Stokes counterlawsuit — alleging harassment and discrimination — apparently is still alive, with an Aug. 7 conference set to schedule a trial date and a discovery timetable.

On June 11, Lake County District Judge Kim Christopher ruled that Stokes could not display the disputed signs on the back road shared by the two sides, and that he must pay $5,853 in legal costs to plaintiffs Donna and Peter Poeschel of Arlington, Wash."

The full article is at Daily Inter Lake:Court orders man to remove swastika signs (http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articles/2008/07/08/news/news04.txt - broken link)
and pretty much lays out that this person has had various signs facing the street on his frontage for more than a decade that have swastikas and references to an alleged white supremasist group.
Am I off base thinking that this really shouldn't be tolorated here and should be publicly shunned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 04:42 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,673 times
Now that is a complicated one Jimj.

Could be a trick to get free speech laws changed in favor of a certain political persuasion.

(Kind of like the anti-tobacco lobby... it's really not about whether people smoke or not, or the fact that second hand smoke isn't nearly as harmful as big-city smog to breathe, but more about taking down a HUGE political financial source. The people trying to outlaw tobacco could really care less about public health, but do care about getting money and making sure their enemies don't have as much to put out for their own agendas.)

I'd be more inclined to go out and egg or paint-ball the fasist bastards signs before going to the government for help just because I didn't like what I saw.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:23 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Besides me?
I don't listen to this radio station anymore after hearing some of off the wall things he and others have said including many a rant about other countries needing to disappear to put it nicely.
This just came out in the Daily Interlake:

"Court orders man to remove swastika signs
Posted: Monday, Jul 07, 2008 - 11:55:15 pm MDT
By JOHN STANGThe Daily Inter Lake

Neighbors of Kalispell radio host John Stokes recently won a legal decision to force him to remove his Nazi-themed signs near their property.

Stokes is contesting the ruling, claiming some of the final plaintiffs’ motions were mailed to the wrong post-office box.

And a Stokes counterlawsuit — alleging harassment and discrimination — apparently is still alive, with an Aug. 7 conference set to schedule a trial date and a discovery timetable.

On June 11, Lake County District Judge Kim Christopher ruled that Stokes could not display the disputed signs on the back road shared by the two sides, and that he must pay $5,853 in legal costs to plaintiffs Donna and Peter Poeschel of Arlington, Wash."

The full article is at Daily Inter Lake:Court orders man to remove swastika signs (http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articles/2008/07/08/news/news04.txt - broken link)
and pretty much lays out that this person has had various signs facing the street on his frontage for more than a decade that have swastikas and references to an alleged white supremasist group.
Am I off base thinking that this really shouldn't be tolorated here and should be publicly shunned?
Although I agree with you personally, this topic will probably open up Pandora's box during menstruation. The swastika symbol predates the Nazi movement, going all the way back to its' derivation from Sanskrit for some kind of lucky charm. In fact before Hitler adopted it as a centerpiece for his flag, the swastika was used as a symbol for peace and world harmony.

My point is that he can easily get a "good" lawyer (do these exist?) to twist a defense into his promotion of good will. Even in Germany, where the swastika symbol is illegal, it depends upon the CONTEXT in which it is displayed. You could try to get the State of Montana or the local government to pursue regulatory change and make it illegal like Germany did. However, I suspect this will result in your next proctology exam being done by the ACLU.

Jimj, I think your heart and values are in the right place, but I agree with Timberwolf232, that is, an old-fashioned ass-kickin will probably be more productive than working within the "system". On the other hand maybe boycotting the radio station might appeal to the "ethics" (greed) of the sponsors that employ this guy.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
To be clear, I certainly wasn't thinking of any law or regulation to deal with this, more along the lines of the public shunning this guy,his station and sponsors. Maybe we need to bring back the pillary posts in the public square?
He's made it very clear what the swastika means to him on many other occasions this is just the latest one. I guess I don't get why anyone would give him ad money and the one that really surprises me is Los Coporalis Mexican restaraunts, owned and operated by Mexicans. You'd think they'd run from someone like this.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:02 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
I could tell you what I think of the guy but I'd probably get banned for life from here if I did......

I heard when he was a kid he liked to run his fingernails against the chaukboard to get attention.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
To be clear, I certainly wasn't thinking of any law or regulation to deal with this, more along the lines of the public shunning this guy,his station and sponsors. Maybe we need to bring back the pillary posts in the public square?
He's made it very clear what the swastika means to him on many other occasions this is just the latest one. I guess I don't get why anyone would give him ad money and the one that really surprises me is Los Coporalis Mexican restaraunts, owned and operated by Mexicans. You'd think they'd run from someone like this.
I think your "public shunning" approach has merit. Some naive businesses feel any advertising exposure is "marketing". However, if several patrons of Los Corporalis Mexican Restaurants made it clear to management that were no longer willing to eat there, it would motivate them. Like most businesses, they will ignore the first one or two complaints. However, if a movement appears to be building, dollars speak louder than words.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:04 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
That's one thing that can still make a difference. If 10 people speak up, here, it's a lot difference then 10 people speaking up in San Diego. They'd laugh at you there.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:43 AM

373 posts, read 1,852,551 times
There was a really interesting PBS POV special called "The Fire Next Time" that featured this guy and a lot of the conflicts in Kalispell. It's pretty intense. Anyway, you can check it out at P.O.V. - The Fire Next Time | PBS. It sounds like this guy has been on the radar for quite a while and has a following of some pretty scary folks. The fact that he has quite a following is what makes me frightened.

I remember when I used to have a different job traveling around the state, my boss (a young Asian American women, originally from Montana) told me about her previous experience traveling. Her own boss would not let her go to certain small towns in northwest Montana because they were known for being white supremacist areas. I could go because I am white. Freaky! Anyway, have you also heard about those Prussian Blue singing twins that moved from Kalispell from California to make white supremacist music?

The whole trend disturbs me. Hopefully there are enough good people in Kalispell to just say that we don't put up with this bs around here.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:27 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,079 times
Jim,

Normally I'd agree with you... except after reading the article, here are some pieces that stand out:

Quote:
The signs read:

“Keep out. No entry. No stopping. No hunting. No travel. No trespassing. If you stop long enough to read the sign, we’ve had enough time to put a rifle scope on your head and vehicle. Get out and stay out. This property protected by The Brotherhood.”

Each sign had several small black swastikas on it. The signs did not elaborate on “The Brotherhood.”
Now, to me... thats a threat and therefore not legal. In addition, there is a contract:

Quote:
The couple sought the permanent removal of the signs and attorney costs — citing a 1994 contract that forbids either landowner from any nuisance or offensive activity on Raven Way.
It also sounds like the signs might have been posted off his property, in which case I would've just torn them down.

But as lorelei points out, that gentleman has been in the media for his hate for years now. (thanks for the PBS link btw)

If it had just been a swastika, posted on his property, I agree that he has the right to leave it up.

However, when you issue threats on your signs, and you have a contract with your neighbor that prohibits offensive or nuisance activity, I believe they have a right to go to court to get them removed.

Its possible that these signs were up for a long time, but even then... I can pretty much guarantee that those signs are ominous to prospective buyers, and is therefore hurting their chance to sell their property. Can he infringe on that right of theirs?

I would argue that he can't.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:44 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
The problem with hate speech is that if it's not protected, YOUR speech might be the next to go, when what's politically incorrect changes and a different set of beliefs are no longer allowed. Therefore we must stand up for the right to hold and state obnoxious beliefs, lest ALL beliefs and speech be imperiled.

And if this idiot can't post threatening notices on his OWN property, what about those of us who post joke signs, like "Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again" ?? HOW IS THAT DIFFERENT? it's not, if you don't know the context. Must every context be known before speech is protected??

But if he posts 'em outside his own property, I agree that is outside the bounds of protected speech. Freedom of speech is not the right to force someone else to host your words.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana