Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:27 AM

132 posts, read 351,024 times

Advertisements

I'm from Houston and thinking of moving, but not sure what living in such a cold place would be like.

Did you live in a warm climate before you lived here, what was it like trying to adapt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 11:28 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,597 times
What I hate are warm winters, that is, when the temperature hovers around 32 - 35. All of the snow starts to melt, it forms huge mud puddles that get your car muddy and filthy. Melting snow turns gray and dirt-colored. The humidity goes up and then it chills you to the bone. Usually a lot more cloudy when the temperature is 30 - 35. So I don't like them one bit. The snow becomes extremely heavy to shovel and makes it 10 times the work.

What I do like are cold winters, ones with the temperature in the single digits to mid teens. Then the snow stays white, everything stays frozen so you don't have mud puddles or slush piles. The snow stays light and fluffy so you might be able to sweep it, or at most, easily shovel it. The other nice thing is the humidity level usually drops and you don't get chilled to the bone from humidity. It's cold but not a bone-chilling cold.

Winters with temperatures in the negative digits are too cold for my blood. I have put up with them but you really have to get bundled up to go outside when it's a -20 outside. So I think that's too cold for me.

[NOTE: All temperatures are exluding wind chill factor.]

Old 12-06-2008, 06:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhouston77386 View Post
I'm from Houston and thinking of moving, but not sure what living in such a cold place would be like.

Did you live in a warm climate before you lived here, what was it like trying to adapt.
We've lived in TN and GA as well as CA and while my son and wife don't seem to mind the cold much I dislike it, especially when the wind chill kicks in. I'd much prefer TN or GA but then again the cold plays hobb with my back and neck. If you enjoy winter sports at all you'll get used to the cold and come to enjoy it and do what many here do, cheer the cold and start warming up their snow cats or waxing their boards....

Old 12-06-2008, 07:26 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
I like it when it's cold as you don't have to be bothered with bugs ! I also like ice fishing.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:41 AM

638 posts, read 1,918,185 times
My husband and I loathe the heat. I lived in Sacramento where the humidy is unbearable along w/115 degree temps and the winters suck.
Then Lived in Reno where it got really hot but it is a dry heat. again winters not cold enough.
We moved to Montana where it is cold and not too hot but we are winter people so moving to Alaska in April.

Cold is much, much better

Old 12-07-2008, 12:10 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,546 times
At least when it is cold, you can always layer up, get off your butt and move around, heck build a fire to get warm. When it is 98 degrees out you can't always get cooled off.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:59 PM

6 posts, read 37,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhouston77386 View Post

yes I grew up in Florida and moved to Wisconsin 12 years ago and desperatley want to move back. I hate the climate here. It is too cold too long.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:37 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
When I heated with wood I would like to chop when it was about 20 to -10. The wood makes a metallic ring when you chop it and it seems to chop easier too.
One fun thing to do for kids when it's way down below zero is to fill a coffee mug with hot water and take it outside with the kids. Toss the water really hard up into the air and it instantly turns to snow. Kids get a kick out of it.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:14 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,388 times
I LOVE the cold! Skiing, Snowmobiling, Hiking without the douchebags all over the place, Ice Fishing, Ice Boating, Keeping the wife warm at night, making snowforts and snowmen with my son... Winter is AWESOME!

Even hot coffee in the morning when it's cold tastes way better than it does the rest of the year.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:43 PM

155 posts, read 714,752 times
I am a winter guy myself.... but I was born and raised here. Just got back from Las Vegas... bout killed myself and it never really was that hot. But anyway, cold outside, hot coffee, and some pepermint schnapps... I love the 8 months of snow and cold we get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana