U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 02:58 PM

10 posts, read 26,735 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job at western energys coal mine in colstrip and I was just wanting some info about there area,and Montana in general. I'm a heavy equipment operator by trade. I've read post on here but they were form over a year ago and they were like 50/50 good and bad. So if anybody can give some info about colstrip,or surrounding areas to live,work and move a family I would appreciate it....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,938,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYEO View Post
I applied for a job at western energys coal mine in colstrip and I was just wanting some info about there area,and Montana in general. I'm a heavy equipment operator by trade. I've read post on here but they were form over a year ago and they were like 50/50 good and bad. So if anybody can give some info about colstrip,or surrounding areas to live,work and move a family I would appreciate it....
I was one of the posters on that old Colstrip thread. I would guess that most of the information there is still current. As far as I know nothing has changed there. Nothing new going in, nothing old closing down. Pretty much the same people. After being gone for 2 1/2 years now my original thoughts of people not being very friendly are the same. I haven't heard from one person I knew from there since I left. The only real friend I made while there was a contract worker (engineer) at the plant who was there "termporarily" for a couple of years. He left shortly after I did. He's the only one I knew from there who I still keep in contact with. I made attempts after I left to keep track of some of my old coworkers, sent Christmas cards that year, etc., but never heard anything back. I know I'm just one person with one opinion, but I still say you could never pay me enough to go back there. IMO there is nothing there and the people are just strangely stand-offish. There are people who do love it there, though. You'd have to decide for yourself what you want and then decide from there. Best wishes to you!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:57 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,938,445 times
I forgot to mention something. I now live in Gillette, Wyoming, where there are several coal mines. I love it here! The people are the nicest of anywhere I've lived. Pay is good. Amenities are good for a smaller town. It is like night and day between here & Colstrip!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:27 AM

10 posts, read 26,735 times
Thanks for the response,I had a job offer in Gillette,gut I counldnt'afford the $650 next day air fair to go out there for the interveiw,but I keep looking out there. One good thing about the Colstrip job its union and I can just transfer to thats local from mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>