U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 09:26 PM

20 posts, read 35,150 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, remember me? the one with the book? If not that's okay. I've done alot of research on this town of yours and I have come back with new questions!

1. What are some hobbies that younger teens have. (places where they hang out, activities, popular sports, etc.)

2. Is there a main road or one street that most of the commercial buildings are or are they scattered around the town?

3. Are there houses near a wooded area that are within walking distance from the high school? ( for this one I found it hard to judge the distances from Google map, I know it's picky and if you don't have an answer I don't blame you. All in the details)

4. How do people feel about the weather? ( I know this is a general statement but particularly the cold weather. People where I live loathe the cold... what is it like there?)

5. How big is the hunting community/ what kind of animals are hunted?

6. Are there paths in the woods?

Well that's all I have for now! Thanks so much =]
-Sarah
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 10:29 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,444,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos.of.sarah View Post
1. What are some hobbies that younger teens have. (places where they hang out, activities, popular sports, etc.)
Keggers in the woods. Dragging main street in Kalispell. Skiing. Hiking, fishing. Drinking. 4-H is big in Flathead County. River rafting. Flathead County Fair. Concerts. High school basketball and football games. Going to the fast food restuarants. Shopping in the big town of Kalispell.

Quote:
2. Is there a main road or one street that most of the commercial buildings are or are they scattered around the town?
Yeah, there's a main street in Columbia Falls. I call it Highway 40 but it probably has another name when it runs through town. It goes down a hill and there's often a cop at the bottom of the hill checking speeds. Most teenagers go to Kalispell to drag main if that is what you're thinking of. If not, look up Hwy 40 on Google and see what it is called in town.

Quote:

4. How do people feel about the weather?
Most hate it. It's endless gray, endless winter, endless cold. Snow lasts forever, spring comes real late. May is nice to get all the school age kids excited, then June is almost always rainy (the first 1/3 of summer break.) It's awful weather especially for kids who have never lived elsewhere. Of course, that is why it is beautiful there.

Quote:
5. How big is the hunting community/ what kind of animals are hunted?
Hunting is big. Deer, elk, moose are most common. Some bear hunting as well. Kids will hunt squirrel and gopher. (Not for meat, but for sport). Some Montana folk hunt Boeing 737 fuselages as they train them from Kansas to Seattle.

Quote:
6. Are there paths in the woods?
Yup. The one favored by most Co. Falls people is Columbia Mountain. Very long trail to the top of a mountain right outside the city. I've made it half way up.

Well that's all I have for now! Thanks so much =]
-Sarah[/quote]

Old 12-24-2008, 04:53 PM

thank you
much appreciated

Old 12-26-2008, 04:13 PM

I am a little confused about your answer for number 4, you said that most hate it, but that was why it was beautiful? =/

Old 12-26-2008, 04:15 PM

I've got another question:
What are some of the popular outside (larger) towns that are used for things such as shopping, work, recreation, etc?

Old 12-26-2008, 06:07 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,444,811 times
Quote:
I am a little confused about your answer for number 4, you said that most hate it, but that was why it was beautiful? =/
Trees and vegetation grow in rainy climates. Desert climates have great weather but aren't very pretty (in my opinion). Rainy climates are more lush, more green, and prettier but the weather is not as desireable.

As far as the larger towns, many people go to Kalispell for simple shopping or sometimes Missoula. If someone wants to do some serious shopping they go to Spokane.

Columbia Falls has traditionally been a slightly industrial town so there are many jobs there. Kalispell is also an area of commerce.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:00 AM

22,973 posts, read 24,869,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Trees and vegetation grow in rainy climates. Desert climates have great weather but aren't very pretty (in my opinion). Rainy climates are more lush, more green, and prettier but the weather is not as desireable.

As far as the larger towns, many people go to Kalispell for simple shopping or sometimes Missoula. If someone wants to do some serious shopping they go to Spokane.

Columbia Falls has traditionally been a slightly industrial town so there are many jobs there. Kalispell is also an area of commerce.
Well there "used" to be many jobs here. Almost all the major employers either have shut down or are about to, there are real tough times ahead imo.
As for the weather and such, it's a love/hate relationship from my perspective. While I (and others) hate the near constant overcast during the winter we revel in the crystal clear spring/summer skies and know that in order to have the forests to play in (with no fires) and the rivers to play on we've got to have the moisture during the winter.
The other upside as it were is that the weather tends to keep people from moving here which is a good thing to most locals. In the last five years this town has almost doubled in population which tends to be hard on the people who were here before the "boom".

Old 12-28-2008, 06:36 PM

I see.
So there's no boutiques or anything? And Kallispell's shopping would be for groceries and maybe small clothing stores? (Just checking my facts)
You guys are so much help, you have no idea.
Okay I'm going to do more research, I'll come back with more questions later
THANK YOU
=]

Old 12-28-2008, 09:39 PM

22,973 posts, read 24,869,747 times
Quote:
I see.
So there's no boutiques or anything? And Kallispell's shopping would be for groceries and maybe small clothing stores? (Just checking my facts)
You guys are so much help, you have no idea.
Okay I'm going to do more research, I'll come back with more questions later
THANK YOU
=]
In C-Falls there are 2 grocery stores (Smiths and Super1), a couple antique shops,3 fast food places,a couple of boutiques,2 banks and assorted ancillary services like barbers,doctors,dentists and such.
Kalispell is for the "major" stores like Target,WalMart etc.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:03 PM

Sweet deal =]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana