U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family with 5 children seeking to move to Wyoming or Montana, self-employed, work from home, Wal-Mart, Costco unimportant amenities, seeking conservative area, family friendly

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 04:35 PM

11 posts, read 19,122 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,

We are considering a move to Wyoming or Montana and would really appreciate any insight you might have for us.

Here's a little background. My wife and I have been married for 16 years and we have 5 children ranging in age between 1 and 15; all of the older children are homeschooled. I am self employed and generally work from home as a software designer. Finding work won't be a consideration as I am self employed.

We have had the good fortune of seeing a large portion of the world and chronologically have lived:

o Currently just south of San Francisco (3 years),
o just north of San Diego (2 years),
o Weisbaden Germany (3 years),
o Warsaw Poland (1 year),
o Algonquin Illinois (3 years),
o north east New Jersey (7 years), but
o both my wife and I grew up in Southern California (Orange and L.A. counties)

Now it time to move again!

We would like to take advantage of my ability to work from home and find a much more scenic, culturally conservative or libertarian, large family friendly location. Someplace with a great quality of life measured in family friendly surroundings. And as are children age I am looking at some serious tuition payments so cost of living is now weighing heavily.

As the children have grown we have become more interested in all things outdoors and very much enjoy camping and planting stuff. So after a little research we've sort of settled on Wyoming and Montana as target areas. I believe the prudent thing would be to rent for the first year or so to establish our own local view – and this is where the big question lay… where?!

The only hard constraint I've been able to identify is a need for broadband access to the Internet. Isn't it amazing?! Oh, I REALLY want a dog. So those are the two musts… fast internet and a dog. I'm technically a small business owner so taxes are concerns too but probably less so than the other issues.

We spend most of our time homeschooling and working in or around the house. We have been active in little league and softball and would like to continue. We eat out very seldom but must every so often just to make sure we remember what it's like to be 'a couple' first and foremost. Not big CostCo or Walmart people, so beyond the need for broadband access, the larger city amenities are not a pluses for us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 04:53 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,469,837 times
My wife was originally from San Carlos. She moved with her family to Montana when she was 14, and we met in high school. (Her family has since moved to another place due to gray weather and not enough going on in Montana.)

Good luck with your search.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:39 PM

148 posts, read 529,754 times
You can get satellite internet anywhere. It costs more, but its all you can get in some places.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:02 AM

406 posts, read 1,292,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gflamino View Post
Hello Folks,

We are considering a move to Wyoming or Montana and would really appreciate any insight you might have for us.

Here's a little background. My wife and I have been married for 16 years and we have 5 children ranging in age between 1 and 15; all of the older children are homeschooled. I am self employed and generally work from home as a software designer. Finding work won't be a consideration as I am self employed.

We have had the good fortune of seeing a large portion of the world and chronologically have lived:

o Currently just south of San Francisco (3 years),
o just north of San Diego (2 years),
o Weisbaden Germany (3 years),
o Warsaw Poland (1 year),
o Algonquin Illinois (3 years),
o north east New Jersey (7 years), but
o both my wife and I grew up in Southern California (Orange and L.A. counties)

Now it time to move again!

We would like to take advantage of my ability to work from home and find a much more scenic, culturally conservative or libertarian, large family friendly location. Someplace with a great quality of life measured in family friendly surroundings. And as are children age I am looking at some serious tuition payments so cost of living is now weighing heavily.

As the children have grown we have become more interested in all things outdoors and very much enjoy camping and planting stuff. So after a little research we've sort of settled on Wyoming and Montana as target areas. I believe the prudent thing would be to rent for the first year or so to establish our own local view – and this is where the big question lay… where?!

The only hard constraint I've been able to identify is a need for broadband access to the Internet. Isn't it amazing?! Oh, I REALLY want a dog. So those are the two musts… fast internet and a dog. I'm technically a small business owner so taxes are concerns too but probably less so than the other issues.

We spend most of our time homeschooling and working in or around the house. We have been active in little league and softball and would like to continue. We eat out very seldom but must every so often just to make sure we remember what it's like to be 'a couple' first and foremost. Not big CostCo or Walmart people, so beyond the need for broadband access, the larger city amenities are not a pluses for us.
i used to live in krakow, interesting. did you know that ugly building in warsaw, was built with the ruins of ancient buildings from all over poland? how sad... did you happen to be there after pope john paul died? that was a sight to behold. did you ever make it to garmisch germany in your travels?

anyways, for you, i would suggest either bozeman or missoula, only because of where you lived previously. broadband is everywhere, and 1 out of 3 people in this town own a dog. ALTHOUGH the cost of living is significantly higher in both towns than anywhere else, and wages do not make up the difference. since you have a job, that should not be an issue.

can't give you advice about tuition. that will be a problem anywhere. we are sending our kids to europe for school to take advantage of dual citizenship. or they can pay for themselves here .

as a small business owner, it will help you a lot if you write off all costs of moving as losses. i don't know you personally, but jackson hole is about as liberal as it gets in wyoming, which is not too liberal, and i don't know anyone who lives there full time. cost of living is worse than bozeman.

i think you will that your views on life play a huge role out here, not only what you enjoy doing. tell us some more.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
did you know that ugly building in warsaw, was built with the ruins of ancient buildings from all over poland? .
i should probably be a little more specific. the communist headquarters building, built by the russians.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:54 AM

6,258 posts, read 13,857,033 times
Nemonthttp://www.nemont.net/
Here is out provider in eastern Montana, no complaints.
BTW Heidelberg is my favorite German city. Pass the brats

Old 12-29-2008, 07:54 AM

22,973 posts, read 25,100,592 times
Well having grown up in San Carlos (on Orange Ave right off Brittan) and living on Walnut st right off the El Camino I can tell you this will be a severe culture shock for you. You know the rush,rush,rush you're in everyday? You know the bumper to bumper traffic you drive in and the "need" to get "there" wherever "there" is quick? You know the constant crush of the masses and people absolutely everywhere? Forget about it. When/if you come forget your car has a horn, the only time you'll use it is to shoo a critter off the road or to let a friend know you're going by if they're not looking.
Learn to wave with your whole hand, not just one finger. Be prepared, things here operate on Montana time and pushing will generally not get things done faster. Tailgating is not something that's done by the locals either. If someone is going a bit slower than you sit back and relax, if you can pass 'em safely at some point and you're really in that much of a hurry (like late to meet your hunting/fishing partner) then go ahead and pass.
Food is different here. Fresh veggies can be hard to get (except for limited times at farmers markets), be prepared for things like bendable cucumbers!
It gets COLD here. Unlike San Carlos where it gets a bit nippy by these standards and the sun always shines there compared to here.
The upside is your kids will never be in a safer place and you won't have to worry about someone shooting 'em if they go out to play. When we came here years ago it took us at least a year to realize we could let the kid go out the door in the morning and not worry if we didn't see him much until nightfall. It is nothing to have him and his friends grab a raft and float the river during the summer or to take off on a 4 wheeler up the northfork or Hungry Horse resevour. The only worry we have is him doing something stupid not someone doing something to him.
Oh and the biggest thing that gets said everytime someone wants to move here, no one cares how it's done in CA and you'll definately get off on the wrong foot if you say that here as in "where we used to live they did it xxx way" or "In CA they had or did xxx".

Good luck, rent first is a good idea but give it a solid year before you decide if you want to leave or not....

Old 12-29-2008, 02:53 PM

i was shopping with my mother in law, who is mormon, and the politest woman i have ever met, and in line at the grocery store we heard this "but in california we have..." and my mother in law just blurted "why don't you move back to california then!". i was impressed. although this was in utah, which has a pretty diverse cross section of humanity, imagine how montanans feel about it.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
i used to live in krakow, interesting. did you know that ugly building in warsaw, was built with the ruins of ancient buildings from all over poland? how sad... did you happen to be there after pope john paul died? that was a sight to behold. did you ever make it to garmisch germany in your travels?
Ah, the Ministry of Culture! I lived at the Warsaw Marriott for 3 months right across the street from it - it's got Kafka written all over it, intentionally built to be the tallest building in Warsaw, drab, and a pinnacle. Thank you Lord, we will never know the pain the Poles have known.

I was actually in Poland during a visit by Pope John Paul and it was an experience. Got to see him driving down the streets in the old Popemobile (which is very cool), the Poles actually enforced a mandatory ban on all alcohol sales during his trip! No lie, literally every hotel bar, room, and pub went dry! Too funny indeed.

Poland is one great country with a great spirit. Most of my work was in Katowice in the West and absolutely loved the place. Albeit it is a very dark industrial town. The trips to and from Warsaw by train are some of my best memories. IF YOU EVERY GO TO CENTRAL EUROPE, TAKE A TRAIN BETWEEN MAJOR CITIES. It's like stepping back 50 years.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well having grown up in San Carlos (on Orange Ave right off Brittan) and living on Walnut st right off the El Camino I can tell you this will be a severe culture shock for you. You know the rush,rush,rush you're in everyday? You know the bumper to bumper traffic you drive in and the "need" to get "there" wherever "there" is quick? You know the constant crush of the masses and people absolutely everywhere? Forget about it. When/if you come forget your car has a horn, the only time you'll use it is to shoo a critter off the road or to let a friend know you're going by if they're not looking.
Learn to wave with your whole hand, not just one finger. Be prepared, things here operate on Montana time and pushing will generally not get things done faster. Tailgating is not something that's done by the locals either. If someone is going a bit slower than you sit back and relax, if you can pass 'em safely at some point and you're really in that much of a hurry (like late to meet your hunting/fishing partner) then go ahead and pass.
Food is different here. Fresh veggies can be hard to get (except for limited times at farmers markets), be prepared for things like bendable cucumbers!
It gets COLD here. Unlike San Carlos where it gets a bit nippy by these standards and the sun always shines there compared to here.
The upside is your kids will never be in a safer place and you won't have to worry about someone shooting 'em if they go out to play. When we came here years ago it took us at least a year to realize we could let the kid go out the door in the morning and not worry if we didn't see him much until nightfall. It is nothing to have him and his friends grab a raft and float the river during the summer or to take off on a 4 wheeler up the northfork or Hungry Horse resevour. The only worry we have is him doing something stupid not someone doing something to him.
Oh and the biggest thing that gets said everytime someone wants to move here, no one cares how it's done in CA and you'll definately get off on the wrong foot if you say that here as in "where we used to live they did it xxx way" or "In CA they had or did xxx".

Good luck, rent first is a good idea but give it a solid year before you decide if you want to leave or not....
[with a New Jersey accent] Your from San Carlos, I'm from San Carlos! lol, small world. We're up off of Devonshire (just up San Carlos ave) at the end of the street before the county line (Chesham ave). It's a really nice town.

Having grown up in L.A. but then having trasplanted to several states and countries, I have most certainly had 'the' conversation before, several times, several time... But it is still good advice so thank you. Besides I like to think of us as 'good peasant stock' and so we tend to keep our opinions to ourselves. (ok, ok, it's mainly true)

We definitely learned to always give a new place time, heck we almost moved out of Illinois thinking we'd never fit in and then 'poof' we're part of the neighborhood. Moving away from there was like leaving family. Actually moving has given us family all over the world... but it is time to find 'the place' and call it a day.

The food angle hasn't been brought up before... hadn't thought about it. Hmmm, bendable cucumbers...

Thank you all once again this has been extremely helpful! You've done good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana