Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:15 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,063,650 times

Advertisements

There are many underground missile silos just off the Rocky Mountain Front in Montana. I thought that many were being converted into underground homes. (Google "missile silo homes"). It seems as though at least a few of these silos are active. We drove from Conrad to Choteau on election day and passed two silo sites that were teeming with activity with several federal government cars and trucks. Maybe there was a threat sent in or something as we hardly ever see any activity at these silos. I thought it was a little too coincidental to see all that activity at these silos only on election day.
Happy nude year ya all, and let's hope we don't have to use these nukes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 02:01 AM

305 posts, read 869,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
There are many underground missile silos just off the Rocky Mountain Front in Montana. I thought that many were being converted into underground homes. (Google "missile silo homes"). It seems as though at least a few of these silos are active. We drove from Conrad to Choteau on election day and passed two silo sites that were teeming with activity with several federal government cars and trucks. Maybe there was a threat sent in or something as we hardly ever see any activity at these silos. I thought it was a little too coincidental to see all that activity at these silos only on election day.
Happy nude year ya all, and let's hope we don't have to use these nukes.
That is odd... In all the silos I've ever passed I don't think I've ever seen any activity!

Old 12-30-2008, 06:44 AM

I thought it was kind of odd also, especially on election day. We drove from Conrad to Choteau for breakfast at "The Log Cabin" (good breakfasts on weekends only) We pass several silos on the way but the activity was only at two of them. I'm thinking that many folks just pass these silos by and don't think too much about them. I've talked to a couple of folks who have lived around here for several years and they didn't even know what those little plots with the fence around them were all about. They were very surprised when I told them that those little fenced off plots were missile silos !

Old 12-30-2008, 01:34 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,231 times
I have read there are still active ones in Montana... I will have to ask my husband, he has read up on it more than I have...

I have never heard of the converted silo homes I will have to google that! Interesting....

Old 12-30-2008, 02:01 PM

30 posts, read 135,574 times
http://www.nukewatch.com/weapons/montana%20copy.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Kristynwy; 12-30-2008 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: copyright violation, changed your photo to a link

Old 12-30-2008, 05:33 PM

369 posts, read 1,454,635 times
I read a couple of months ago that, by treaty agreement, we are deactivating a number of the active sites controled by Malstrom AFB. That's a pity in my estimation as we should save them for a growing threat from the former Soviet Union, China and Iran. Remember, you can never have enough gun.

To compound the tragedy, our illustrous new leader has proclaimed that he will not build new systems, upgrade our nuclear stock pile' (the things degrade over time you know), nor build new weapons -- seeking for all nations to abandon NW altogether. Hopefully when he gets a look at the briefing books he'll overcome to his current lack of common sense.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:26 AM

I think that China isn't nearly as much of a threat as Russia and Iran. We do a lot of business with China. Trading partners don't start wars with each other as much as nations that don't buy each others products. Have you ever seen anything on our store shelves labeled "made in Russia" or "made in Iran" ! Of course the fact that my mother grew up in China might have influenced my views !

Our new golden boy may be in for a wake up call, he is already angering the left wing of his supporting base by backing off on early promises to pull us out of Iraq. We are already backing out slowly anyway.
I'm not sure I would be happy living in a converted silo. If the crud hits the fan Your new missile silo home may be a target, not to mention the lack of sunlight. I would need an elevator because my knees wouldn't handle going up and down stairs just going from room to room.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:43 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,401 times
has anyone seen the military building (fortress) over by tiber resevoir? 8 foot concrete rebar walls, bigger than the largest walmart. The building goes underground forever. it is vacant but there are generators underground there worth millions. the land that it sits on was for sale a few years back so if you bought it, you got the building also. I have seen activity in the past the past there. The owner told me that it was built during the russian war and the walls facing russia were specially designed to deflect russian missles. it is wild and if you see it up front close and personal your mind is blown away. we also have lots of missle sites in between great falls and lincoln. they are active and always have military personal there.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:55 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I think that China isn't nearly as much of a threat as Russia and Iran. We do a lot of business with China. Trading partners don't start wars with each other as much as nations that don't buy each others products. Have you ever seen anything on our store shelves labeled "made in Russia" or "made in Iran" ! Of course the fact that my mother grew up in China might have influenced my views !

Our new golden boy may be in for a wake up call, he is already angering the left wing of his supporting base by backing off on early promises to pull us out of Iraq. We are already backing out slowly anyway.
I'm not sure I would be happy living in a converted silo. If the crud hits the fan Your new missile silo home may be a target, not to mention the lack of sunlight. I would need an elevator because my knees wouldn't handle going up and down stairs just going from room to room.
I am sure I saw a converted one on one of the remodel shows on tv, I did not think it was anything special, not like an old barn or factory, kinda "Logan's Run" look about it. I never thought about the target factor, good thought. Maybe it should be in the disclosure documents

Old 01-01-2009, 04:09 PM

Default The bunker building.

That old thick walled building is strange. I went in it last summer, lots of rubble and broken glass, graffiti etc. I think it's used by local kids to party in, you can drive right into it. I'll have to go back and check out the lower levels. I looked around for a short time and didn't see any way down into the lower levels. It would be a fun place to take a bunch of friends for a good prank ! Scare the heck out of a few buddies for a laugh !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana