Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 03:56 PM

989 posts, read 3,525,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthawki View Post
Last week they began moving dirt on a new development south of Lowe's / south of Custer / east of Power Townsend where a Sportsman's Warehouse and a variety of other shopping are due to go in. The developers are all leaving areas of land untouched for where on/off ramps and the widening of Custer where go.
Sportsman Warehouse???? Ok, thats the best news I have heard. That is an awesome store! Is this for sure? I didnt think we would ever get one of those. Can't we get the cool stores without getting the big crowds????

That will be a good place for an interchange, it will make it so we dont have to go all the way around Home Depot. Home Depot is about to lose some major money if this happens...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 08:46 PM

373 posts, read 1,852,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Are you looking in Helena? What parts do you like?

Do you really think things are going to change that fast in this area?
Absolutely! I just finished a first time homebuyers' class and they told us that there were only 75 active listings under $150K in a 60 mile radius. They said the average list price is now over $300K (that's list, not selling). But, there were 150 of us in the class, so we are fighting each other over crumbs. Houses typically go up about 12% a year here, and well, my pay only goes up about 3% a year, so in a few months, I'm going to have a huge problem.

I like East Helena or anywhere in town that I can afford. I made an offer on a house tonight, but due to some unique circumstances, there will be 2 offers on it at once. So, even though I made a full-price offer, I might not get it. I'm hopeful I do.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:01 AM

75 posts, read 381,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei2873 View Post
Absolutely! I just finished a first time homebuyers' class and they told us that there were only 75 active listings under $150K in a 60 mile radius. They said the average list price is now over $300K (that's list, not selling). But, there were 150 of us in the class, so we are fighting each other over crumbs. Houses typically go up about 12% a year here, and well, my pay only goes up about 3% a year, so in a few months, I'm going to have a huge problem.

I like East Helena or anywhere in town that I can afford. I made an offer on a house tonight, but due to some unique circumstances, there will be 2 offers on it at once. So, even though I made a full-price offer, I might not get it. I'm hopeful I do.
Good luck, lorelei!

When will you find out?

Old 03-20-2007, 08:47 AM

189 posts, read 799,553 times
Bids are due for Sportsman's Warehouse in May, so construction would probably begin about a month or so after that. If the store goes up with the speed of Costco, then it would be open in the fall.
There's a whole shopping center going in by Home Depot, so they'll probably be just fine. An interchange will benefit everybody!

Old 03-20-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthawki View Post
Bids are due for Sportsman's Warehouse in May, so construction would probably begin about a month or so after that. If the store goes up with the speed of Costco, then it would be open in the fall.
There's a whole shopping center going in by Home Depot, so they'll probably be just fine. An interchange will benefit everybody!
I havn't been over by Home Depot for a while, has anything popped up in that open space by IHOP?

Old 03-20-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Well I hope it works out for you. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:50 PM

189 posts, read 799,553 times
A Chili's and Macaroni Grill are currently being built south of the IHOP and an 8- 9 tenant strip mall building is going up north of the IHOP. Long range plans for that whole area around Home Depot are for a Bed, Bad and Beyond and other anchor stores. Kohl's was going to come at one point but they pulled out for now. Maybe once the area starts to get built out some more, Kohl's will change their mind!

Old 03-20-2007, 04:06 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,297 times
Quote:

Hang on to your hats though. We have a huge slowdown in the housing market here in So Cal, which might affect you guys...maybe? Since we "Kookyfornians get the blame for the housing prices everywhere, now maybe we can get the blame for the drop

Old 03-20-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns65vette View Post
Hang on to your hats though. We have a huge slowdown in the housing market here in So Cal, which might affect you guys...maybe? Since we "Kookyfornians get the blame for the housing prices everywhere, now maybe we can get the blame for the drop
When you say "huge slowdown" what do you mean? A house that was selling for $500k will now sell for what? Any idea? Homes in Cali were selling as soon as they hit the market-- is this not the case anymore?

What caused this market shift-- any idea?

Old 03-20-2007, 05:57 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
When you say "huge slowdown" what do you mean? A house that was selling for $500k will now sell for what? Any idea? Homes in Cali were selling as soon as they hit the market-- is this not the case anymore?

What caused this market shift-- any idea?
At this time last year I could have sold my house in about a week for 660K. Right now it might be worth 600K...maybe a little less, and it would take some time to sell it. Like maybe 2 to 4 months. Good thing I am not ready to sell yet. My neighbors down the street have had their house on the market for about 6 months now, but they are asking waayyy to much...over 700K

Hard to say what is causing it. Economy I guess. Maybe people being a little more picky on what they want, instead of paying half a million for a 1500 sq ft house on a 4000 sq ft lot Interest rates were starting to go back up a little a few months ago, and I think that's when things started slowing. That along with the holidays. The realtors are calling it an "adjustment" instead of a "crash" we'll see.

I also think a lot of those "special" loans are coming due now, and the banks are flooded with repo's. Stupid finance companies should have never allowed folks to buy houses on interest only loans.

Many of us here feel it will take a few years to restabilize. Hard to say what ieffect it will have on housing in the rest of the country. I think before it's all said and done my house will drop to about 550K or so. Good thing I only owe 440K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana